Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: 3D Solids question (open gl?)

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Sep 14, 2015 8:57 AM Last Post By: Carl Olsen
Alan Jordan

3D Solids question (open gl?)  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 12, 2015 7:10 AM
I have an application that draws mechanical objects as wireframes. I want to extend this to making the wireframes into solid objects. I have created the solids using various CAD program APIs but there are too many variations. What I am thinking of doing is to create the solid in my application and then translating that image using a standard translator like IGES, STL, or STEP.

My questions are:

1. Is OpenGL the best choice for a Delphi programmer?
2. What resource is best for learning solid programming?
3. Where can I find the newest standards for translators?
Carl Olsen

Re: 3D Solids question (open gl?)  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 14, 2015 8:57 AM   in response to: Alan Jordan in response to: Alan Jordan
1. Is OpenGL the best choice for a Delphi programmer?

OpenGL is for rendering to the screen. DirectX and OpenGL are both very good ways to do this. OpenGL has the advantage of running on operating systems other than Windows, while DirectX is perhaps a little more capable but Windows only.

You can do OpenGL with Delphi fairly nicely, though I am not up to speed on the latest support. In the past I used glScene for doing some basic 3D stuff, but in XE8 I think there are better options to explore, and glScene seems to be dying. glScene was very good for me to import STL files and render them in 3D, though.

2. What resource is best for learning solid programming?

Sorry, I don't have a good answer for this one.

3. Where can I find the newest standards for translators?

Unfortunately, the best ones are really only for C++, but you can ask around and look for some kind of Delphi interface, or depending on your budget have someone write something for you.

We license stuff from Spatial Technologies. They have a couple of extremely competent CAD kernels (ACIS and CGM) which you can find in about 1/2 of the CAD systems out there. They are not cheap, but if you are serious about doing solid modeling, they are a fantastic resource. They also have a product called "InterOP" which is a boatload of high end CAD file filters that can be used to import just about any CAD file format out there. Finally, they have a product "HOOPS" (which is actually from TechSoft 3D) that can be used for rendering the 3D. Unfortunately, they do not have interfaces into Delphi, though you might ask about that. They do have excellent training, though, as well as great consultants and such.

A competitor to ACIS / CGM to look at is Parasolids. They also have some file filters, if I remember right, but mostly they are a CAD engine.

There is a company IntraSIM that also makes file filters. Keep in mind that all of this stuff is both very complex, and very expensive.

There is also a "free" CAD kernel out there "OpenCascade". It is pretty powerful, but also seems a bit of a mess and they make their money on support so it may require support more than it should. It is worth looking into if you need free.

===

I guess a big question here is what precisely do you want to accomplish? Can you get away with focusing on just a single file format? Do you really need solid modeling, or do you just need "3D". Can you get away with working with triangles, or do you need the fancy topology of watertight solids?

I have a couple of consultants that I work with that could be of help to you, if you need recommendations.

Unfortunately, in the CAD engine world everyone seems to be C++, so getting this stuff in Delphi is not so easy.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02