Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: How do I find Access violation in comctrl.32?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Aug 27, 2015 2:30 PM Last Post By: Debbie Erickson
Debbie Erickson

How do I find Access violation in comctrl.32?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 26, 2015 2:42 PM
Hi. I've got a defect I'm chasing and I don't know how to find it. The error I see is "access violation at address 6B4A9670 in module comctrl32.dll. Read of address 4827700C."

This is an application using SQL data and a treeview component. I am using Delphi 7. I compile on a Windows XP. I never see the AV in Windows XP. I have tried running it both inside and outside the IDE and it always works. The version of the comctrl32.dll file is 5.82.2900.6028.

I have this similar structure in the treeview

Root node
child node
child node
grandchild node
great-grandchild node 1
great-grandchild node 2
great-grandchild node 3
etc.......
great-grandchild node 12

My customer was using the dragdrop in the tree in what amounts to an invalid move. He was taking great-grandchild node 12 and trying to drop it again onto the grandchild node when it is already a child of that parent.

But when I run the same application on a Windows 7, it fails every single time. I do see that comctrl32.dll exists in 2 places in Windows 7. It is in c:\windows\system32 and in c:\system\syswow64. Both files are version 5.82.7601.18837. I copied the dll from my Windows XP computer into my application folder and that didn't make it work. The comctrl32.dll isn't my code, and it seems to work on an XP, so how do I find the root of the problem? I did put some debug statements in my code and it appears to be passing thru the expected logic path.
Debbie Erickson

Re: How do I find Access violation in comctrl.32?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 27, 2015 2:30 PM   in response to: Debbie Erickson in response to: Debbie Erickson
I put in lots of trace logs for the comctrl wrapper and figured out what was going wrong.

In my OnDragDrop event I was using a getnode method rather than the droptarget method.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02