Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: XE7 app crashing on iOS 8

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Jul 14, 2015 7:30 AM Last Post By: Jason Sweby Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Jason Sweby

XE7 app crashing on iOS 8
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 9, 2015 4:39 AM
Towards the end of last year (2014), I had an app accepted into the Apple App Store, built using XE7.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/carval-hr-unity/id907487209?mt=8

This still installs and works on devices running iOS 7. However, several customers have reported that it installs on iOS 8 but doesn't run, it just crashes after the splash screen. We have 2 devices here, one on iOS7 and the other on iOS 8. As reported, the iOS7 app installs and runs, the iOS8 app installs and crashes.

I'm aware of the 64-bit introduction from February 2015 for new apps, and from April for updates, but this app has been on the store since last year. I was under the impression that existing apps would continue to function OK.

Now, I do have XE8 and so I can rebuild and go through the App Store submission again, but this will take time. I'm slightly concerned that existing apps are failing to work on new releases of iOS 8.

Does anyone have any insight into why this might be happening? It is expected?

Thanks,
Jason.
Gary Wardell

Re: XE7 app crashing on iOS 8
  Posted: Jul 9, 2015 9:51 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Hi,

iOS8 made several subtle changes that could be a problem depending on what services you are using.

It would help to know where you are crashing. Get the console log and/or the crash log and find out how far into your app you are when it crashes.

You can also write your own log entries to get a handle on where you are when it crashes.

electriclabs makes Console that displays the console log now that iCU no longer works in iOS8. I understand you can also get the console log from inside XCode if the phone is connected to your mac, not very helpful for me since I am using a cloud mac.

Oh, another question, is it crashing during install or after install when you try to run it.
Jason Sweby

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 1:10 AM   in response to: Gary Wardell in response to: Gary Wardell
Gary Wardell wrote:

It would help to know where you are crashing. Get the console log and/or the crash log and find out how far into your app you are when it crashes.

Oh, another question, is it crashing during install or after install when you try to run it.

Thanks for the reply, Gary.

Current reports are saying it crashes after showing the splash screen. So it installs OK, starts to run OK, but then crashes as it is about to show the main form.

Unfortunately I don't have an iOS8 device here to test on, and it runs fine in the iOS Simulator, which is up to date with iOS 8.4, so I can't get the crash logs.

I've rebuilt with XE8 and submitted an app update. It will be interesting to see if this resolves the issue.
Jason Sweby

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 1:47 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
To follow this up, the app has been rebuilt using XE8 and accepted into the store, and is now working.
Jason Sweby

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 4:03 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Spoke too soon, app now opens and runs, displays the data and then hangs. Still works fine on iOS7, though.
Daniel Horn

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 6:31 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Jason Sweby wrote:
Spoke too soon, app now opens and runs, displays the data and then hangs. Still works fine on iOS7, though.

Jason,

You need to check the crash log for your app.

Lots of things changed between iOS 7 and 8 and many things that always worked will now crash.
Once you figure out how to get crash logs and how to interpret them, you will figure out the problem(s?) very quickly.

Go into iTunesConnect and on your app's screen, scroll all the way to the bottom to find the "Crash Reports" link.

Here's a link that explains a lot about them:
http://www.raywenderlich.com/23704/demystifying-ios-application-crash-logs

Dan
Jason Sweby

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 7:30 AM   in response to: Daniel Horn in response to: Daniel Horn
Thanks Dan.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02