Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: XE6 64bit: Release Build runs, but Debug Build does not. Problem with DLLs?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Jun 18, 2015 6:56 AM Last Post By: Daniel Nettels Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Daniel Nettels

XE6 64bit: Release Build runs, but Debug Build does not. Problem with DLLs?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: May 29, 2015 4:55 AM
Hi

I have a VCL-form-application project, which is building (compiling and linking) nicely in both, debug mode and release mode.
However, the debug executable does immediately quit after pressing F9 (without any warning message), while the release executable brings up the main form as expected and is running perfectly.
With the release build I had the same issue before I put two needed DLLs into the release folder. (Why did I get no warnings that the DLLs are missing?)
I copied the DLLs into the Debug folder, too, but it does not help in this case.

What is going on?
Thank you for helping me.

Daniel
Daniel Nettels

Re: XE6 64bit: Release Build runs, but Debug Build does not. Problem with DLLs?  
  Posted: Jun 15, 2015 9:24 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels
In the meanwhile I upgraded to XE8, but I am running into the same problem.
The Debug-Build of my project quits before showing any form and without warning.

Please help.
Daniel
Fraser Ross

Re: XE6 64bit: Release Build runs, but Debug Build does not. Problem with DLLs? [Edit]  
  Posted: Jun 18, 2015 3:03 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels
On 16/06/2015 10:26, Daniel Nettels wrote:
The Debug-Build of my project quits before showing any form and without warning.

Please help.
Daniel
What happens if you start with F7? You appear to use static linking. I
have mainly used dynamic loading. You have more control with it.

Fraser.
Fraser Ross

Re: XE6 64bit: Release Build runs, but Debug Build does not. Problem with DLLs? [Edit]  
  Posted: Jun 18, 2015 3:28 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels

Please help.
Daniel

Fraser.
Fraser Ross

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 4:09 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels

Please help.
Daniel

Fraser.
Borja Serrano

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 5:47 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels
Try Dependency Walker (depends.exe) to find out if the xecutable is looking for another DLL.
Daniel Nettels

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 6:56 AM   in response to: Daniel Nettels in response to: Daniel Nettels
Thank you for helping me!

I found the problem. It was not the DLL. (Dependency Walker helped to find that out.)

However, I am using in this form-application some components of a package made by me.
Apparently the the 64bit debugging-build of the package was corrupt. Rebuilding it finally resolved the problem.
It would have been helpful if there had been any warning pointing me in that direction.

Thanks again for your help!
Daniel
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02