Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: How do I install glScene in Delphi XE8?

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jun 3, 2015 11:29 PM Last Post By: Bo Berglund
Carl Olsen

How do I install glScene in Delphi XE8?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: May 4, 2015 3:40 PM
I want to upgrade my team from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE8. Before I do that, I need to make sure that it's even possible, so I'm using myself as a guinea pig to get it all working on my stem, and I'm failing.

The sticking point is glScene. I can't install glScene for XE8, and instead get loads of compiler errors when I try to install it. It is unclear from the glScene web site(s) what the latest version is, and what versions of Delphi it supports. The installation instructions are also not so great.

Is it possible, or is glScene such a dead project that I should give up? After many hours of frustration, and about 2 hours of Internet searching, I'm about ready to.

Anyone know what magic is needed to install glScene for XE8? Or, maybe you have some other wisdom to pass on?

Thanks!
Vadim Istomin

Re: How do I install glScene in Delphi XE8?  
  Posted: May 13, 2015 8:36 AM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
Carl Olsen wrote:
I want to upgrade my team from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE8. Before I do that, I need to make sure that it's even possible, so I'm using myself as a guinea pig to get it all working on my stem, and I'm failing.

The sticking point is glScene. I can't install glScene for XE8, and instead get loads of compiler errors when I try to install it. It is unclear from the glScene web site(s) what the latest version is, and what versions of Delphi it supports. The installation instructions are also not so great.

Is it possible, or is glScene such a dead project that I should give up? After many hours of frustration, and about 2 hours of Internet searching, I'm about ready to.

Anyone know what magic is needed to install glScene for XE8? Or, maybe you have some other wisdom to pass on?

Thanks!

Hi Carl,

You can use the link below to download the latest version (last update 2015-01-04). This release compiles and installs in XE7, except one "unimportant" package, which name I forgot, sorry.
(I tested it some time ago. In my case, the installation of this package crashed the IDE). Now, after some checking, I think that it was SDL package. However, I cannot reproduce it now, because my trial expired :-(.

Any way, it also includes a very good step-by-step installation instructions, and the project files for all packages. Good chances are that it will work with XE8 as well, because as far as I know, the VCL in XE8 and XE7 is "identical".
My advise is: install two "main" GLScene_VCL run-time and design-time packages, and after that install additional packages one by one, only if you really need them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glscene/files/GLScene/GLScene%20v1.3/

If you develop commercial product(s) with RAD Studio using GLScene, could you, please, put a link to it here?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by: Vadim Istomin on May 13, 2015 12:14 PM
Carl Olsen

Posted: May 13, 2015 9:26 AM   in response to: Vadim Istomin in response to: Vadim Istomin
Hi Vadim,

Thank you very much for your reply - I'll be studying it and trying to install tomorrow.

Regarding your request for a link, here you go:

https://www.omax.com/software

Everything you see on that page done in Delphi, but not using glScene. Some of the links on that page go to other utilities and applications, of which one of them is done in C#, but the rest are all Delphi. The software is a suite, with about 12 different applications and utilities. One of the utilities (not shown on the web site) is a 3D tool path editor, that uses glScene. I dont' have a good link for it, but using Google Image search, I found a screen shot: http://www.gwmachinery.com/image/cache/data/Omax/parts/software-600x600.jpg

Carl.

If you develop commercial product(s) with RAD Studio using GLScene, could you, please, put a link to it here?

Edited by: Carl Olsen on May 13, 2015 9:26 AM
Vadim Istomin

Posted: May 13, 2015 10:55 AM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
Thank you for the link. Very impressive.

One additional remark: GLScene code is now divided into several branches, including VCL and FMX. Unfortunately, the FMX version still has some VCL dependencies and it does not compile yet, even for Windows target platform.
Bo Berglund

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 11:29 PM   in response to: Carl Olsen in response to: Carl Olsen
On Mon, 4 May 2015 15:40:32 -0700, Carl Olsen <> wrote:

I want to upgrade my team from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE8. Before I do that,
I need to make sure that it's even possible, so I'm using myself as a guinea
pig to get it all working on my stem, and I'm failing.

The sticking point is glScene. I can't install glScene for XE8, and instead
get loads of compiler errors when I try to install it. It is unclear from the
glScene web site(s) what the latest version is, and what versions of Delphi it
supports. The installation instructions are also not so great.

Is it possible, or is glScene such a dead project that I should give up?
After many hours of frustration, and about 2 hours of Internet searching, I'm
about ready to.

Anyone know what magic is needed to install glScene for XE8? Or, maybe
you have some other wisdom to pass on?

Thanks!

About 5-6 months ago I had to port a rather big project using GLScene
from BDS2006 to XE5. This particular project was developed by another
person for 8 years starting in 2001 and the final state when he left
was done in BDS2006. I could build it in Delphi2007 too, but no
further because of the unicode changes...

The version of GLScene was at level 0.8.2 and unfortunately I could
not upgrade the project to level 1.x because the GLScene people had
removed the viewer Canvas property, which is heavily used in the
project....
So I had to try to convert the used version to XE5 instead and after a
lot of experimentation I managed to do just that!
I had to modify only 3 files in GLScene to handle the differences
between BDS2006 and RAD XE5.
In the file OpenGL12.pas I changed:
PChar to PAnsiChar
string to AnsiString
except for functions connected with Loadlibrary.
InitOpenGLFromLibrary() call arguments were kept as string.

Additionally I had to modify string and PChar to AnsiString and
PAnsiChar for call handling to AVIFIL32.DLL in AviRecorder.pas.

Finally GLScene.inc had to be updated for detection of the compiler
versions up to XE7 to make the system work.

Then I could keep the old GLScene version.

Of course I got a lot of other such unicode issues in the main project
files too, but these were our own code so more esaily handled.

---
Bo Berglund
Sweden & Texas
Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.92/32.572
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02