Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Macbook for cross platform dev.?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 9:43 AM Last Post By: martin moore
martin moore

Macbook for cross platform dev.?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 26, 2015 5:20 AM
I'm pondering retiring my laptop and sort of considering a Macbook.

Why? - I do web/linux stuff which can be done on anything, and for XEx to compile OSX/iOS versions. I don't currently have any cross platform work, but maybe it will happen!

One way to do this is to run Windows in a VM on the Mac. I have access to but don't own a Mac Mini, but this isn't very portable anyway.

Which leads me to the question - I'm used to a 4GB/320GB SSD laptop. RAM and SSD seems pricey for the Apple stuff, so would a Macbook be faster than Windows in a way that a HDD wouldn't be too much slower than Windows on SSD - and is 4GB RAM enough for the Mac plus a Win VM or would I really need 8? And (warranty
aside) is the RAM easy to upgrade and could clone the HDD to a SSD as I've done on the laptop?

And how much disk space will OSX take?

Thanks.
Robert Love

Re: Macbook for cross platform dev.?  
  Posted: Apr 27, 2015 10:36 AM   in response to: martin moore in response to: martin moore
martin moore wrote:
One way to do this is to run Windows in a VM on the Mac. I have access to but don't own a Mac Mini, but this isn't very portable anyway.

Delphi requires Windows. So regardless you will need a VM if your going to use Delphi. Apple hardware is pricey. Several years ago I purchased a Mac Mini due to thoughts of doing cross platform development.

http://robstechcorner.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-mac-and-rad-studio-xe2.html

I use that same computer as my primary machine at home and I love it. I have found that all of my software I use, with the exception of Delphi and some associated development tools, have moved to OSX versions.

At work I have a very nice HP laptop as I still don't do cross-platform.
Gurkan Karagoz

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 10:54 AM   in response to: martin moore in response to: martin moore
I think buying a 8GB Windows laptop (with SSD) and a cheap 8GB Mac (mini or macbook with HDD) is much cheaper and powerful than buying a Macbook pro with SDD + 16GB RAM. That's my configuration, I'm happy with the setup because I don't need portability for iOS development.

martin moore wrote:

Why? - I do web/linux stuff which can be done on anything, and for XEx to compile OSX/iOS versions. I don't currently have any cross platform work, but maybe it will happen!

Which leads me to the question - I'm used to a 4GB/320GB SSD laptop. RAM and SSD seems pricey for the Apple stuff, so would a Macbook be faster than Windows in a way that a HDD wouldn't be too much slower than Windows on SSD - and is 4GB RAM enough for the Mac plus a Win VM or would I really need 8? And (warranty
aside) is the RAM easy to upgrade and could clone the HDD to a SSD as I've done on the laptop?

Thanks.
Mike Margerum

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 11:41 AM   in response to: martin moore in response to: martin moore
On 4/26/15 8:20 AM, martin moore wrote:

Thanks.

You'd have to pry this macbook pro from my cold dead hands. It's worth
every single penny. The i7 and SSD scream in this beast.

i wouldn't consider any machine with an HDD at this point.

OSX is using less disk space than my windows VM is.
martin moore

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 12:00 PM   in response to: Mike Margerum in response to: Mike Margerum
Mike Margerum wrote:

Thanks Mike - what RAM would you advise (given it's not cheap!). Does the disk compression in OSX work OK - I use the Windows one for most stuff.

I'm not interested in 2 machines - I want an integrated solution.

Mike Margerum

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 12:47 PM   in response to: martin moore in response to: martin moore
On 4/27/15 3:00 PM, martin moore wrote:
Mike Margerum wrote:

Thanks Mike - what RAM would you advise (given it's not cheap!). Does the disk compression in OSX work OK - I use the Windows one for most stuff.

I'm not interested in 2 machines - I want an integrated solution.

I'd recommend 16 GB of ram and the 512 SSD. you could probably get away
with 8gb / 256 gb though.

I have the 512 SSD so i haven't needed to use disk compression. Just
made me think of the DOS app stacker. Great app.

I'm running Parallels with windows 8.1 + Delphi XE8 and visual studio
2013. Runs blazingly fast. Everything works great.

Raul Sinimae

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 12:00 PM   in response to: martin moore in response to: martin moore
martin moore wrote:

I have an older Macbook Pro and while it was expensive at the time it is the best laptop i've ever owned - it's going 4+ years now.

It does have a (after market) SSD and 8GB of memoery and is fine for running Fusion and Windows 8 VM for delphi.

However the newer models are getting increasingly hard to upgrade - AFAIK none of the recent apple laptops have hard drives (SSD blades) that are supposed to be used upgradable though it can be done in most cases.

Which leads me to the question - I'm used to a 4GB/320GB SSD laptop. RAM and SSD seems pricey for the Apple stuff, so would a Macbook be faster than Windows in a way that a HDD wouldn't be too much slower than Windows on SSD - and is 4GB RAM enough for the Mac plus a Win VM or would I really need 8? And (warranty> aside) is the RAM easy to upgrade and could clone the HDD to a SSD as I've done on the laptop?

It will work but i suggest 8GB and SSD still - assuming you spend non-trivial amount of time in the Delphi VM.

I generally do find the OS X bit more responsive but Win 8.1 is pretty darn good - it's usually the AV and other system management (crap) that IT likes to put on our laptops that slows things down.

See my note above about upgrading - getting more difficult these days so double-check before buying.

Cloning HDD to SSD is fairly easy. You can do it with free or built-in tools but i use 3rd party software called "Carbon Copy Cloner" (and there are others) that IMHO is a better "time machine" and actually keeps an external drive both current and bootable (have tested and while slower i can actually boot direct from the external drive and run everything from it if in a real hurry).

Can't tell exactly since i have all the apps installed on same drive but for Yosemite "System" folder is 4GB and "private" is another 8GB (but that includes a 4GB sleep image). Overall i'm using approx 30GB for OS + all the apps (XCode is fairly large, i have office and adobe installed and whole bunch of smaller apps). I would not suggest anything less then 256GB for SSD though unless you can really limit yourself to a single VM (my XE8 + Win8.1 VM is almost 40GB by itself)

Raul
martin moore

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 9:43 AM   in response to: Raul Sinimae in response to: Raul Sinimae
OK, popped into the A**le store today for a chat and will probably go for the Pro Retina 8GB/512GB

Ouch....
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02