Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Observations on C++Builder XE8


This question is answered.


Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Apr 9, 2015 11:56 AM Last Post By: Dale McLoughlin Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Dale McLoughlin

Posts: 7
Registered: 12/28/12
Observations on C++Builder XE8  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 9, 2015 1:53 AM
Having spent a few hours working with XE8 now, mostly 'playing' rather than doing anything serious, I have found it to be perhaps a little more flaky than XE7. In a short space of time I have seen several crashes, AVs and other issues. Sometimes a problem with the HTMLHelp system seems to bring the whole IDE to a halt. On one occasion the whole IDE just went 'poof' and disappeared without warning.

Does anyone know what the Help Wizards menu option is supposed to do? Nothing as far as I can see.

Is there any way to change the IDE font (not the Code Editor window, everywhere else)? The new one seems far too large and bold to me.

On the plus side, on compiling my current project for the first time, there were a few new warnings detected - all 'unreachable code' (caused by one misplaced semi-colon after an 'if' statement, and a few superfluous breaks in 'case' statements). I'm not sure why XE7 didn't find them, unless it's just that the default set of warnings is different between the two.
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: Observations on C++Builder XE8
Correct
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 9, 2015 11:11 AM   in response to: Dale McLoughlin in response to: Dale McLoughlin
Dale wrote:

Is there any way to change the IDE font (not the Code Editor window,
everywhere else)? The new one seems far too large and bold to me.

Changing the XE8 IDE Font, Size and Toolbar Color
http://www.malcolmgroves.com/blog/?p=1804

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Borja Serrano

Posts: 172
Registered: 1/10/13
Re: Observations on C++Builder XE8
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 9, 2015 11:38 AM   in response to: Dale McLoughlin in response to: Dale McLoughlin
Dale McLoughlin wrote:
Does anyone know what the Help Wizards menu option is supposed to do? Nothing as far as I can see.

There is only one Help Wizard: the "Mobile Help Wizard". If you don't have the mobile stuff installed it is possible that you don't see anything.
Dale McLoughlin

Posts: 7
Registered: 12/28/12
Re: Observations on C++Builder XE8  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 9, 2015 11:55 AM   in response to: Borja Serrano in response to: Borja Serrano
Two great answers to my questions. Thanks guys.

Edited by: Dale McLoughlin on Apr 9, 2015 11:55 AM
Andy Walker

Posts: 72
Registered: 1/20/01
Re: Observations on C++Builder XE8  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 9, 2015 11:47 AM   in response to: Dale McLoughlin in response to: Dale McLoughlin
Dale McLoughlin wrote:
Having spent a few hours working with XE8 now, mostly 'playing' rather than doing anything serious, I have found it to be perhaps a little more flaky than XE7. In a short space of time I have seen several crashes, AVs and other issues. Sometimes a problem with the HTMLHelp system seems to bring the whole IDE to a halt. On one occasion the whole IDE just went 'poof' and disappeared without warning

The HTML Help crash was present in XE7 and for me was the single biggest cause of IDE crashes. Even now I have to make sure I save everything before I press F1! I did hope that was fixed.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02