Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Legal build machine

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Aug 14, 2017 9:10 AM Last Post By: Andrei Halatsin Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Serhiy Ivanov

Legal build machine
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 2, 2014 1:09 AM
Hi there!

I'm interest in legal way to use command line compiler to build complicated project with custom components set on separate build machine.
Accordingly to license_en.rtf in my Delphi XE3 i found that
"2.4. Command Line Compiler. Licensee may install the command line compiler on a separate computer from the Product itself, provided that the sole purpose of doing so is to allow that computer to perform unattended building of applications. The Command Line Compiler shall not be considered a ‘redistributable’."

but accordingly to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13916132/what-is-the-minimal-agent-install-footprint-for-delphi-build-automation,
http://delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_up_a_Delphi_Build_Machine

i should rather copy half of IDE to do so. Is it legal? And if so, what actually better way to do that?

Edited by: Serhiy Ivanov on Oct 2, 2014 1:14 AM

Edited by: Serhiy Ivanov on Oct 2, 2014 2:29 AM
Serhiy Ivanov

Re: Legal build machine
  Posted: Oct 7, 2014 3:10 AM   in response to: Serhiy Ivanov in response to: Serhiy Ivanov
Does anyone moderate this forum?
Rudy Velthuis (...

Posted: Jan 14, 2015 11:03 PM   in response to: Serhiy Ivanov in response to: Serhiy Ivanov
Serhiy Ivanov wrote:

Does anyone moderate this forum?

I do, sometimes. But moderators do not necessarily answer questions. I
would not know an answer, sorry.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on
sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious
basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had
to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after
death."
-- Albert Einstein
Arthur Hoornweg

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 12:12 AM   in response to: Serhiy Ivanov in response to: Serhiy Ivanov
Serhiy Ivanov wrote:

but accordingly to ...
i should rather copy half of IDE to do so. Is it legal? And if so, what actually better way to do that?

Since building an application needs a compiler, resource compiler, linker and all essential libraries, I think it can't be done without a full install of Delphi.

Andrei Halatsin

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 9:10 AM   in response to: Serhiy Ivanov in response to: Serhiy Ivanov
"2.4. Command Line Compiler. Licensee may install the command line compiler on a separate computer from the Product itself, provided that the sole purpose of doing so is to allow that computer to perform unattended building of applications. The Command Line Compiler shall not be considered a ‘redistributable’."

Hi.
According to the license it is legal to install it on one more machine if the only purpose is to build apps (from command line / by continuous integration tool etc).
It is full installation (there is no other options for now) and technically you can use IDE there, but it will be illegal.
As long as you use it as build machine - you are fine.
I am not a lawyer, but i do not see any other way to read that part of the license agreement.
BR,
Andrei Galatyn
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02