Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Anyone having problems with Midas.dll distribution in Windows 7/8 with XE7?

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 7:04 AM Last Post By: Bob Carson
Bob Carson

Anyone having problems with Midas.dll distribution in Windows 7/8 with XE7?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 22, 2014 5:43 PM
Create a simple program that uses Data Snap. Access the clientdataset1.cds file. On the computer I used to develop DataSnap apps, everything works fine. Move the app to a computer with no FireMonkey Development tools, including the right Midas.dll and I get a protection fault so the program does not run. Compile the same apps using the 64 bit compiler and distribute with the 64 bit Midas.dll redistributable, and everything works fine. I've tested on 3 machines, two running Windows 7, and one running Windows 8.1 . I do not know when this started. I have the latest Windows updates. I noticed all old installations of Midas.dll should be removed to reproduce the error, as previous versions of Midas.dll on the system can mask this error. I'm not sure if this started with XE6 update 1, but I was distributing both 32 bit and 64 bit database apps to new Windows systems using XE6 without getting this protection fault when accessing a ClientDataSet. These two Urls show the difference. They need to be installed on a computer without FireMonkey and Midas.dll's removed to see the error:
http://www.accessoryware.com/download/fatchat.exe and http://www.accessoryware.com/download/fatchat64.exe (the 64 bit one works)
Thank you for any suggestions.
Cristian Peța

Re: Anyone having problems with Midas.dll distribution in Windows 7/8 with XE7?
Helpful
  Posted: Oct 22, 2014 10:43 PM   in response to: Bob Carson in response to: Bob Carson
I removed all this headaches including MidasLib in project uses clause.
Have you registered your midas.dll on that machine?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4897685/how-do-i-register-a-dll-file-on-windows-7-64-bit
Bob Carson

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 7:02 AM   in response to: Cristian Peța in response to: Cristian Peța
Thank you - this is a huge Help!!
Markus Ja

Correct
  Posted: Oct 23, 2014 3:51 AM   in response to: Bob Carson in response to: Bob Carson
I would recommand to include midas into the executable. Then you don't need the dll anymore.

uses MidasLib
Bob Carson

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 7:04 AM   in response to: Markus Ja in response to: Markus Ja
Thank you - this is a huge Help!! MidasLib did not compile using OSX. You wouldn't happen to know the .pas file I use for OSX?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02