Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: IWFileUploader causing high cpu usage - Registered User

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Last Post: Dec 3, 2014 10:59 AM Last Post By: Alexandre Machado
Redkite Systems...

IWFileUploader causing high cpu usage - Registered User  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 9, 2014 5:02 AM
Hi,

I am a registered priority support customer.

Using IWFileUploader and previously IWFile in an ISAPI dll when a user presses cancel (or interrupts the upload ) the CPU on the server goes to 100% and stays there until I restart the application pool.

I have tried this on our Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008 with the same result.

Is there any known solution to this issue?

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Thanks

Mat

Edited by: Redkite Systems Computer Programmer on Oct 9, 2014 8:47 AM

Edited by: Redkite Systems Computer Programmer on Oct 14, 2014 7:31 AM

Alexandre Machado

Re: IWFileUploader causing high cpu usage - Registered User  
  Posted: Oct 14, 2014 8:14 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...
Redkite Systems Computer Programmer wrote:
Hi,

Using IWFileUploader and previously IWFile in an ISAPI dll when a user presses cancel (or interrupts the upload ) the CPU on the server goes to 100% and stays there until I restart the application pool.

I have tried this on our Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008 with the same result.

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Hi Mat,

I'll take a look and let you know, OK?
Alexandre Machado

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 8:18 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...
Hi,

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Thanks

Mat

Hi,

I'm still trying to reproduce this behavior in our test environment but didn't succeed yet. It only happens in Windows server 2003 and 2008? Any special settings in your IIS?

Did you try to reproduce it in Windows 7 or 8?
Redkite Systems...

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 9:00 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Hi,
Alexandre Machado wrote:
Hi,

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Thanks

Mat

Hi,

I'm still trying to reproduce this behavior in our test environment but didn't succeed yet. It only happens in Windows server 2003 and 2008? Any special settings in your IIS?

Hi,

The IIS has a basic setup, this was the very first thing we tried on the 2008 server before anything else was installed.

I have never got this to happen on local Windows 7/Vista machines.

Thanks

Mat
Redkite Systems...

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 8:44 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Alexandre Machado wrote:
Hi,

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Thanks

Mat

Hi,

Hi,

The CPU when cancelling a file upload goes to 100% for a single processor machine, multiple processors max out each processor one at a time for each cancelled upload.

This happens when uploading a file from a different machines browser to the ISAPI application and if the upload is cancelled using either the cancel button in IW 14 or by the user closing the form while the upload is in progress in all version of IW I have tried it on - IW14, IW12 and IW10.

I have since reproduced this same issue using Server 2008, Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Pro – all machines available to me.
This happens in IE 8,10,11. Safari and Chrome – all browsers I have tried this on.

The only version we have where this does not happen is IW 8.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Mat

Hans-Georg Rick...

Posted: Oct 23, 2014 5:38 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...
i can confirm this for Windows Server 2012R2, IW XI and IW14 too.

Alexandre Machado wrote:
Hi,

Delphi 2009
IW14.0.34

Thanks

Mat

Hi,

Hi,

The CPU when cancelling a file upload goes to 100% for a single processor machine, multiple processors max out each processor one at a time for each cancelled upload.

This happens when uploading a file from a different machines browser to the ISAPI application and if the upload is cancelled using either the cancel button in IW 14 or by the user closing the form while the upload is in progress in all version of IW I have tried it on - IW14, IW12 and IW10.

I have since reproduced this same issue using Server 2008, Server 2003, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Pro – all machines available to me.
This happens in IE 8,10,11. Safari and Chrome – all browsers I have tried this on.

The only version we have where this does not happen is IW 8.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Mat

Alexandre Machado

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 7:30 AM   in response to: Hans-Georg Rick... in response to: Hans-Georg Rick...
Hans-Georg Rickers wrote:

I just can't confirm this issue. I've tested in different IIS servers: W7, W8, W2008, W2012, multi and single core machines.
I'm using a 200 Mb test file, being uploaded simultaneously in 6 different sessions. Then I cancel one, many or all uploads, either clicking on the cancel link or closing the browser tab.
CPU usage stays normal and do not get even close to 100%...
You guys probably have some other thing involved there...
Redkite Systems...

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 3:51 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Alexandre Machado wrote:
Hans-Georg Rickers wrote:

I just can't confirm this issue. I've tested in different IIS servers: W7, W8, W2008, W2012, multi and single core machines.
I'm using a 200 Mb test file, being uploaded simultaneously in 6 different sessions. Then I cancel one, many or all uploads, either clicking on the cancel link or closing the browser tab.
CPU usage stays normal and do not get even close to 100%...
You guys probably have some other thing involved there...

Hi,
I can make a new ISAPI.DLL using IW 14 with just an IWFileUploder on a form, no other properties or code is changed on the form.
If I then click upload, select a file and click cancel before the file has finished uploading I will get a percentage of the processor used until the pool is recycled (100% for single processor, 25% for quad etc..)

Every PC or Server I have copied this onto and ran has had the same issue. I can send you a compiled DLL for you to try if that would help?

Thanks
Mat
Alexandre Machado

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 10:34 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...

This information is new. I have to check this. I'm always using multi-core processors.... I'm not sure that I have any single-core machine available, unless I use VMs
Redkite Systems...

Posted: Nov 11, 2014 8:04 AM   in response to: Alexandre Machado in response to: Alexandre Machado
Alexandre Machado wrote:

This information is new. I have to check this. I'm always using multi-core processors.... I'm not sure that I have any single-core machine available, unless I use VMs

Hi,
I can make a new ISAPI.DLL using IW 14 with just an IWFileUploder on a form, no other properties or code is changed on the form.
If I then click upload, select a file and click cancel before the file has finished uploading I will get a percentage of the processor used until the pool is recycled (100% for single processor, 25% for quad etc..)

Every PC or Server I have copied this onto and ran has had the same issue. I can send you a compiled DLL for you to try if that would help?

Thanks
Mat
Alexandre Machado

Posted: Nov 11, 2014 11:41 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...
Alexandre Machado wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Mat

Please send it to alexandre [at] atozed dot com.

Please also include all information you can get about OS, machine specs and IIS/application setup.

I created a simple ISAPI project containing a IWFileUploader control. Then I upload a 100-300 Mb sample file and cancel it (or close the browser window) and could never get anything unusual in terms of processor usage. In general IIS process gets idle as soon as the upload is cancelled. I've tested this in Win7, Win8 and Win 2008 machines. Always the same result.
Alexandre Machado

Posted: Dec 3, 2014 10:59 AM   in response to: Redkite Systems... in response to: Redkite Systems...
Alexandre Machado wrote:

Hi,

Thanks
Mat

Hi guys,

I think I found the problem and also the solution.
I was able to reproduce it in my machine - by accident - and I'm 99% sure about the cause. Once this is a critical failure, I should release an update fixing it soon.

Best regards
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02