Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Can't step into the VCL

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Oct 6, 2014 7:26 AM Last Post By: Viktor Hirsch
Viktor Hirsch

Can't step into the VCL  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 2, 2014 2:28 AM
Hello,
I try to step into the VCL (only C++ Builder XE), but with no success. I disabled "Link with dynamic RTL" and disabled the use of Runtime packages. I generate a new VCL project and tried to debug the instruction Top = 20; (example is from BCB-Journal article), but the debugger steps over the intstruction.
I tried the same on another machine (RAD Studio XE5, C++ Builder and Delphi) with no problems.

Are there other settings which I must consider?

Thank you in advance

Viktor
chen zero

Re: Can't step into the VCL  
  Posted: Oct 2, 2014 3:44 AM   in response to: Viktor Hirsch in response to: Viktor Hirsch
Viktor Hirsch wrote:
Hello,
I try to step into the VCL (only C++ Builder XE), but with no success. I disabled "Link with dynamic RTL" and disabled the use of Runtime packages. I generate a new VCL project and tried to debug the instruction Top = 20; (example is from BCB-Journal article), but the debugger steps over the intstruction.
I tried the same on another machine (RAD Studio XE5, C++ Builder and Delphi) with no problems.

Are there other settings which I must consider?

Thank you in advance

Viktor

Please try select
Project Options>> Delphi Compiler >> Compiling >> Debugging>> Use Debug .ducs
I think it will work
Viktor Hirsch

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 4:21 AM   in response to: chen zero in response to: chen zero
chen zero wrote:

Please try select
Project Options>> Delphi Compiler >> Compiling >> Debugging>> Use Debug .ducs
I think it will work

Thank you for the fast response. Sorry but the suggestion has no effect. The same as before. It seems that the debugger can not find the VCL. I can see the calling stack but there is no aktive (blue) point visible they are all grey.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Viktor
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 11:05 AM   in response to: Viktor Hirsch in response to: Viktor Hirsch
Viktor wrote:

Thank you for the fast response. Sorry but the suggestion has no
effect. The same as before.

Disabling dynamic RTL and runtime packages, and enabling Debug dcus, is the
correct way to go.

It seems that the debugger can not find the VCL. I can see the
calling stack but there is no aktive (blue) point visible they are all
grey.

Is the VCL's source folder listed in your project's Source search path?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Viktor Hirsch

Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:26 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

Disabling dynamic RTL and runtime packages, and enabling Debug dcus, is the
correct way to go.

Is the VCL's source folder listed in your project's Source search path?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Hello Remy,
thank you for response. I checked all project pathes and all environment pathes and can't find any mistakes. I installed the RAD Studio XE on another machine with the given defaults. With that version I am able to step into the vcl. I compared the path options and the environment options, but can't find anything which avoids stepping into the vcl. I tried to set the path manually in the IDE debugger settings but also with no success. I suggest that something went wrong while the installation (a while ago), because my colleague, which use the same image has the same problems. I tried to repair the installation in a virtual machine from my original machine, but also with no success. I have no idea what I can still check/test to enable the vcl debugging??

Kind regards

Viktor
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02