Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: First use of XE7, "Delphi Package Output Directory", "path is too long"

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Dec 24, 2014 1:00 PM Last Post By: Michael McFarland Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Kevin Killion

First use of XE7, "Delphi Package Output Directory", "path is too long"  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 1, 2014 9:09 AM
I have been using Delphi 2010, and also had XE2 installed (but never used it). Yesterday I purchased the Delphi XE7 update, and installed it. Upon first launch, I got this dialog:

Warning [window title]

Your current Delphi Package Output Directory is not part of your system path. In order to use runtime packages that are built into this directory, this directory needs to be on your path. However, it appears that your current system path is too long. Please manually edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include this directory.

Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\ Studio\15.0\Bpl

Current path: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win32_togo;
c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win64_togo;C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;\Bpl

[checkbox checked]: Always perform this check on startup

I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do! Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?

This is frustrating in that my existing Delphi installation worked fine, and this is the message upon first launch of XE7 after instillation.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions!

Aage Johansen

Re: First use of XE7, "Delphi Package Output Directory", "path is too long"  
  Posted: Oct 1, 2014 11:45 AM   in response to: Kevin Killion in response to: Kevin Killion
Den 01.10.2014 18:09, skrev Kevin Killion:
I have been using Delphi 2010, and also had XE2 installed (but never used it). Yesterday I purchased the Delphi XE7 update, and installed it. Upon first launch, I got this dialog:

Warning [window title]

Your current Delphi Package Output Directory is not part of your system path. In order to use runtime packages that are built into this directory, this directory needs to be on your path. However, it appears that your current system path is too long. Please manually edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include this directory.

Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\15.0\Bpl

Current path: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win32_togo;
c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBaseXE3\win64_togo;C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;\Bpl

I really don't know what this is attempting to say or what I am supposed to do! Where does it want me to go, to edit what where?

This is frustrating in that my existing Delphi installation worked fine, and this is the message upon first launch of XE7 after instillation.

If XE7 is like XE2...

Open menu item Tools|Options, and under "Environment Options"|"Delphi
options"|Library you will see entries for paths - maybe "Browsing path"
is the interesting one.
As it is now, it may contain a few entries that is irrelevant to XE7.
Remove some of those, and add the one mentioned in the message.

Start with saving the original contents...

--
Aage J.

quinn wildman

Posted: Oct 2, 2014 11:25 AM   in response to: Kevin Killion in response to: Kevin Killion
To edit your path do this:

Control Panel
System
Click Advanced system settings
Click Environment variables button

You should be able to take it from there.

Knowledge about how paths and environment variables work is quite useful
information to know. It can easily be Googled.

Kevin Killion wrote:
Michael McFarland

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 10:57 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
To edit your path do this:

Control Panel
System
Click Advanced system settings
Click Environment variables button

You should be able to take it from there.

I would.... but the path to the advanced system settings is broken :( I know how to work around it but this shouldn't be expected.
Michael McFarland

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 10:53 AM   in response to: Kevin Killion in response to: Kevin Killion
Kevin Killion wrote:

Warning [window title]

Directory to be added: c:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\ Studio\15.0\Bpl

I'm seeing this to. Does Delphi have to mess with the System path? Being told to just go tweak environment variables is akin to being told to go mess with the registry. It just seems sloppy and I don't get why it would be part of normal Delphi install.
Quentin Correll

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 11:33 AM   in response to: Michael McFarland in response to: Michael McFarland
Michael,

"| | ...it appears that your current system path is too long. Please
manually
| | edit your system path to remove unnecessary items and/or include
this
| | directory."

| It just seems sloppy and I don't get why it would be part of normal
| Delphi install.

Seriously, I really don't think it's possible for the installer to know
which items in your "too-long" path could be removed. <g>

--

Q

1.19.1.372 (Q's Broken Toolbar.)

Michael McFarland

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 1:00 PM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin Correll wrote:

Seriously, I really don't think it's possible for the installer to know
which items in your "too-long" path could be removed. <g>

That makes sense. The part I don't get is why it's needed at all. This is coming from someone who has only been using Delphi a few years so I'm just comparing it to other languages.. and so far no other languages that I've used have needed to to this.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02