Help

Thread: XE7 iOS Ad hoc Deployment File Size

Permlink Replies: 11 - Last Post: Sep 19, 2014 6:46 AM Last Post By: Eli M
Ken Randall

XE7 iOS Ad hoc Deployment File Size
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 19, 2014 2:28 AM
Hi,

I have set the build configuration to Release, and the device configuration to Ad hoc. The distribution certificate is set to iPhone Distribution and the mobile provision profile is set to /Users/Ken/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles/444df1c0-a7b0-4a32-ae64-1572d294e5be.mobileprovision which I have confirmed is the correct one.

I have done a build before deploying the project. Everything builds, links and deploys seemingly fine except that the ipa file generated in the Release folder is 43mb which is only 3mb less than the debug version.

When I do the same for Android the apk file is only 25% the size of the debug version.

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed any light on this.

Thanks,

Ken
Jason Sweby

Re: XE7 iOS Ad hoc Deployment File Size
  Posted: Sep 19, 2014 2:46 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
My ipa files for several projects all come in at around 8-9Mb so this is very large. Does it contain much in the way of extra deployed files or embedded images?
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 2:56 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Jason Sweby wrote:
My ipa files for several projects all come in at around 8-9Mb so this is very large. Does it contain much in the way of extra deployed files or embedded images?

I have defined every image for every size for both iPad and iPhone and these are 24 bit so will account for 3 or 4mb but, apart from that, no additional files.
Jason Sweby

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 2:58 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
Ken Randall wrote:
I have defined every image for every size for both iPad and iPhone and these are 24 bit so will account for 3 or 4mb but, apart from that, no additional files.

Yes I've set all of those up as well. Worth checking that some of the Debug settings aren't turned on in your Release configuration?
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 3:20 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Yes I've set all of those up as well. Worth checking that some of the Debug settings aren't turned on in your Release configuration?

I have already checked those and debugging is off however I did forget to mention that I am using the Coral Dark iOS FMX style from the Embarcadero Premium Style Pack. But I am using the same equivalent style in the Android version.
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 3:32 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
I have already checked those and debugging is off however I did forget to mention that I am using the Coral Dark iOS FMX style from the Embarcadero Premium Style Pack. But I am using the same equivalent style in the Android version.

Also when I upload the ipa to TestFlight I am given the following warning:

This build is signed with a Developer certificate, it can only be installed by devices with the Developer feature enabled.

I am using the iPhone Distribution certificate which was generated by XCode. Any ideas?
Jason Sweby

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 3:37 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
Also when I upload the ipa to TestFlight I am given the following warning:

This build is signed with a Developer certificate, it can only be installed by devices with the Developer feature enabled.

I am using the iPhone Distribution certificate which was generated by XCode. Any ideas?

Yes, using the ad-hoc configuration means that you are creating a version of the app that can only be installed on devices that are set up in the Apple Member Center. Your .mobileprovision file contains these device IDs. This is only a warning but those devices must be set up in your Member Center.

For proper full distribution, you'll need to set the configuration to Application Store if you want anyone to install it, but then I don't know how this works with Test Flight?
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 3:59 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Yes, using the ad-hoc configuration means that you are creating a version of the app that can only be installed on devices that are set up in the Apple Member Center. Your .mobileprovision file contains these device IDs. This is only a warning but those devices must be set up in your Member Center.

Yes, it does contain the IDs of the iOS devices I want it to be able to be run on.

For proper full distribution, you'll need to set the configuration to Application Store if you want anyone to install it, but then I don't know how this works with Test Flight?

Thanks. I'll follow that up.
Jason Sweby

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 3:33 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall

Worth removing the stylebook completely and seeing if that is the cause?
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 4:13 AM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
Worth removing the stylebook completely and seeing if that is the cause?

I have removed it and both the debug and release ipa are about the same size at 12mb.
Ken Randall

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 5:30 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
I have removed it and both the debug and release ipa are about the same size at 12mb.

Sometyhing starnge going on. I reloaded the style, built & deployed and the ipa stayed at 12mb!
Eli M

Posted: Sep 19, 2014 6:46 AM   in response to: Ken Randall in response to: Ken Randall
My 20k+ line IOS app dropped from 11.3mb to 9.9mb going from XE6 to XE7. I think it happened once I had correctly set up the style book for each platform.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02