Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: XE7 - opening XE6 projects


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 6 - Last Post: Sep 11, 2014 5:30 PM Last Post By: John Frazier
Michael Leahy

Posts: 239
Registered: 5/9/07
XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 7:13 AM
In the past, I was advised to create new projects in XE6 and then add the forms and code from XE4. This solved all kinds of issues with Styles.

Is that still good advice for XE7?

I hate to start sharing projects between XE6 and XE7 to later find out I caused myself headaches.
John Frazier


Posts: 726
Registered: 2/17/00
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 1:18 PM   in response to: Michael Leahy in response to: Michael Leahy
Michael Leahy wrote:
In the past, I was advised to create new projects in XE6 and then add the forms and code from XE4. This solved all kinds of issues with Styles.

Is that still good advice for XE7?

I hate to start sharing projects between XE6 and XE7 to later find out I caused myself headaches.

I would personally create new projects and bring my stuff in. Usually though, opening older project in newer IDE typically works. Going backwards should be avoided because we introduce new stuff and the old IDE has no idea what the heck it is.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
Michael Leahy

Posts: 239
Registered: 5/9/07
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 10, 2014 11:32 AM   in response to: John Frazier in response to: John Frazier
John Frazier wrote:
Michael Leahy wrote:
In the past, I was advised to create new projects in XE6 and then add the forms and code from XE4. This solved all kinds of issues with Styles.

Is that still good advice for XE7?

I hate to start sharing projects between XE6 and XE7 to later find out I caused myself headaches.

I would personally create new projects and bring my stuff in. Usually though, opening older project in newer IDE typically works. Going backwards should be avoided because we introduce new stuff and the old IDE has no idea what the heck it is.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)

Gotcha, John.

I ended up trying to open a copy of my XE6 project. XE7 mysteriously dropped the main form. Adding that got it running. Then it crapped out when it got to a custom styled control. At least I know it only takes about 45 minutes of tedium to create that style again.
Eli M

Posts: 1,346
Registered: 11/9/13
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 10, 2014 9:03 PM   in response to: Michael Leahy in response to: Michael Leahy
My medium sized XE6 project opened okay in XE7. Small issue trying to deploy to iOS however. I'll try creating a new project next and see if that fixes it.
John Frazier


Posts: 726
Registered: 2/17/00
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 11, 2014 5:28 PM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
My medium sized XE6 project opened okay in XE7. Small issue trying to deploy to iOS however. I'll try creating a new project next and see if that fixes it.

When you open old mobile projects specifically in a new version or even if you flip targets around to like Android/iOS... always do a clean for sanity's sake. I have seen and solved a couple of weird behaviors doing a simple clean. I have not had a lot of time on XE7 yet so some of this may have been improved. If you do not know what I am referring to, in Project Manager, right-click your app name and select "clean" to get rid of previous output and force a clean build next time.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
Jason Sweby

Posts: 46
Registered: 5/20/00
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 11, 2014 4:21 AM   in response to: Michael Leahy in response to: Michael Leahy
Michael Leahy wrote:
In the past, I was advised to create new projects in XE6 and then add the forms and code from XE4. This solved all kinds of issues with Styles.

Is that still good advice for XE7?

I hate to start sharing projects between XE6 and XE7 to later find out I caused myself headaches.

Ive just had to do exactly this. I rebuilt my XE6 projects (which were previously XE5 and XE4 projects) and they both crashed on Android devices, and misbehaved on the iOS Simulator. So I started a new project, adding in all the icons, paths, etc, and then added the existing units. Now they at least stay up, although one is still misbehaving a little on Android.

I wouldn't mind doing this but I've spent 2 days trying to determine why these projects no longer worked with XE7. If the advice from EMBT was clear that we should start new projects, then I'd have saved a lot of time.
John Frazier


Posts: 726
Registered: 2/17/00
Re: XE7 - opening XE6 projects  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 11, 2014 5:30 PM   in response to: Jason Sweby in response to: Jason Sweby
See my reply to Eli and try that next time or see if you can spot any reproducible behaviors we may be able to address. I have been watching this casually for a few versions. Solid repros would be awesome if there is any bugs to be squashed.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02