Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: About Embarcadero Maintenance Support after using CBXE.

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Sep 22, 2014 1:38 AM Last Post By: GAI CHEW KAI
GAI CHEW KAI

About Embarcadero Maintenance Support after using CBXE.  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 7, 2014 11:34 PM
To inform, the Embarcadero commercial maintenance support includes Software Upgrades and 3 incidents technical assistance per year.

3 incidents technical assistance means, you are limited to create or submit three cases online (via email support).

There is something not practical in real life practice:

1. VCL and FMX mobile differences.
- eg. The property "Picture" of TImage is missing under Object Inspector of CBXE Android platform.

2. Unicode.
- eg. Some Unicode conversion need to be done for mobile platform, such as CBXE for Android coding below:

oIntent = SharedActivity()->getIntent();
if( oIntent )
{
juri = oIntent->getData()
us = JURIToStr( juri );
us2 = TIdURI::URLDecode( us ); // us2 is UnicodeString, without URLDecode() us2 cannot display certain Chinese Unicode properly.
}

- How do I know that I should use "TldURI::URLDecode" ?

Although, it is documented out there but somehow is lacking proper guidance where VCL programmer like me,
just cannot easily find the proper channel and there is no CBXE book like "Charlie Calvert's C++ Builder 3 Unleashed".

Moreover, TIdURI is part of Indy library, I really cannot imagine without the feedback from Embarcadero maintenance support
I can come to the following link:

http://www.indyproject.org/docsite/html/frames.html?frmname=topic&frmfile=TIdURI.html

3. Memory Freeing.
- if you look at oIntent at statement 2 sample code above, how do you know whether oIntent need to be freed or not ?

You can imagine, 3 incidents=3 statements above, if you think of putting lot of statements into one single case and submit but
you really have to get through the 3 statements above in order to do so.

Therefore, 3 incidents technical support per year in this case, is not practical.

I would say, Embarcadero did provides very good feedback, I think is better for Embarcadero to give unlimited
incidents technical support per year by pointing me to right direction, then I can explore and find answer there myself
instead of totally cut off support when exceeding 3 incidents cases.

4. CBXE 6/7 software programming solution is hard to find in EDN forum.

Lastly, a CBXE book like "Charlie Calvert's C++ Builder 3 Unleashed" is very much needed indeed, which most properly
I don't require the incidents technical support as well if there is such similar reference book.

Hopes, this can assists both Embarcadero and Customers of CBXE.

Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: About Embarcadero Maintenance Support after using CBXE.  
  Posted: Sep 8, 2014 9:11 AM   in response to: GAI CHEW KAI in response to: GAI CHEW KAI
GAI wrote:

1. VCL and FMX mobile differences.
- eg. The property "Picture" of TImage is missing under Object
Inspector of CBXE Android platform.

FireMonkey is a very different framework than VCL. FireMonkey's version
of TImage does not have a Picture property. Images are loaded into it using
the Bitmap property instead, where FireMonkey's version of TBitmap is not
limited to just BMP images like VCL's verson of TBitmap is.

- How do I know that I should use "TldURI::URLDecode" ?

You are retreivig a URL, and a URL does not allow Unicode characters, so
they have to be encoded. TldURI::URLDecode() is simply undoing that encoding.

- if you look at oIntent at statement 2 sample code above, how do
you know whether oIntent need to be freed or not ?

It does not. First, because all TObject-derived objects in mobile platforms
are reference counted, so you never need to free them manually, they will
be freed automatically when their reference count falls to zero. Second,
even if ARC were not a factor, you still would not need to freed anyway,
because getIntent() returns a _di_JIntent, which is a DelphiInterface<T>
wrapper around a JIntent interface. The _di_JIntent will decrement the interface's
reference count when it goes out of scope, and the JIntent object will be
freed when its reference count falls to zero.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
GAI CHEW KAI

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 5:58 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
"FireMonkey's version of TImage does not have a Picture property. Images are loaded into it using the Bitmap property instead,..."
- Yes, I am aware of that, just doubted why FMX don't put property "Picture" as part of Object Inspector which is easier, instead of programmatically loads the bitmap though.

"First, because all TObject-derived objects in mobile platforms are reference counted, so you never need to free them manually..."
- Where did you find such information ? may be you can suggests me the links or any website that describes such materials ( not COM interface architecture ) so I know where and how to begin with.
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: About Embarcadero Maintenance Support after using CBXE. [Edit]  
  Posted: Sep 8, 2014 8:13 PM   in response to: GAI CHEW KAI in response to: GAI CHEW KAI
GAI wrote:

- Yes, I am aware of that, just doubted why FMX don't put property
"Picture" as part of Object Inspector

Because it does not have a Picture property. The Object Inspector cannot
display properties that do not exist.

- Where did you find such information ?

It is common knowledge since mobile platforms were first added to the product,
and it is documented on Embarcadero's DocWiki:

Automatic Reference Counting in C++
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/Automatic_Reference_Counting_in_C%2B%2B

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
GAI CHEW KAI

Re: About Embarcadero Maintenance Support after using CBXE. [Edit]  
  Posted: Sep 9, 2014 6:39 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
"...Because it does not have a Picture property. The Object Inspector cannot display properties that do not exist."
- ...just discovered, the same feature of "Picture" property can be obtained from "MultiResBitmap".
Timur Tekil

Posted: Sep 11, 2014 8:13 PM   in response to: GAI CHEW KAI in response to: GAI CHEW KAI
I agree to GAI CHEW KAI,we really need a new C++ Builder book.Also unlimited email support would be great like he said.
John Frazier

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 12:19 AM   in response to: GAI CHEW KAI in response to: GAI CHEW KAI
GAI CHEW KAI wrote:
To inform, the Embarcadero commercial maintenance support includes Software Upgrades and 3 incidents technical assistance per year.

3 incidents technical assistance means, you are limited to create or submit three cases online (via email support).

This is incorrect, not e-mail support necessarily. Support incidents should be created through the support portal you got with a login generated for your contract. Yes we give you 3 with the base level M&S contract. If you need higher level support (unlimited incidents per year) we offer that if you pay for that contract level (lot of factors I cannot speak to) so please contact your local sales rep and ask them what it would cost if you are interested.

Incidents are not designed to be a replacement for documentation or a training guide. It is when you get truly stuck on an issue and need help figuring it out. For free options we offer docs, these forums, and you can always enter QualityCentral bugs if you think you have a solid reproducible issue. The support incidents are when you actually need to speak to us.

FYI, I wrote a bit on the contracts a little while ago with some other info:

https://forums.embarcadero.com/ann.jspa?annID=152
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
GAI CHEW KAI

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 1:38 AM   in response to: John Frazier in response to: John Frazier
Hi John,

"...when you get truly stuck on an issue and need help figuring it out."
- In order to get truly stuck, I already used up all three incidents.

"...need higher level support (unlimited incidents per year) we offer that if you pay for that contract level"
- I understand this concern, it is not easy to get approval from company financial side.

"FYI, I wrote a bit on the contracts a little..."
- by manipulating the support into levels or contract, will create confusion.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02