Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: BPL VCL DCU location?


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 6:54 PM Last Post By: Rob Ram
Rob Ram

Posts: 3
Registered: 11/14/05
BPL VCL DCU location?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 28, 2014 1:30 PM
I have created a VCL package BPL. It creates a DCU in the expected location. There are 4 dcu's created:
1. debug 32 bit
2. release 32 bit
3. debug 64 bit
4. release 64 bit.

Is there a way to have the IDE automatically refer to the dcu locations when used in an application? I first build the package, to create the dcu's, then install the package. Currently, I have to manually enter the dcu locations for a new application; otherwise I get a DCU not found error?
I am using Delphi XE6 and a 64 bit computer.
Thank You.
Jeff Overcash (...

Posts: 1,529
Registered: 9/23/99
Re: BPL VCL DCU location?
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 28, 2014 1:41 PM   in response to: Rob Ram in response to: Rob Ram
Rob Ram wrote:
I have created a VCL package BPL. It creates a DCU in the expected location. There are 4 dcu's created:
1. debug 32 bit
2. release 32 bit
3. debug 64 bit
4. release 64 bit.

Is there a way to have the IDE automatically refer to the dcu locations when used in an application? I first build the package, to create the dcu's, then install the package. Currently, I have to manually enter the dcu locations for a new application; otherwise I get a DCU not found error?
I am using Delphi XE6 and a 64 bit computer.
Thank You.

Tools | Options | Delphi Options | Library.

Select the platform then add the path to the release folder for that platform.
Make sure if your package has resources like dfm's that they also are put in the
same directory as the dcus.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted corridors of Whitehall.
(Fish)
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: BPL VCL DCU location?
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 28, 2014 2:50 PM   in response to: Rob Ram in response to: Rob Ram
Rob wrote:

Currently, I have to manually enter the dcu locations for
a new application; otherwise I get a DCU not found error?

That means the compiling project can't find the BPL. It resorts to DCUs
only when it has to. The DCUs are compiled into the BPL, so the app should
be looking for the BPL first. Otherwise, there is no point in creating a
BPL in the first place.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Rob Ram

Posts: 3
Registered: 11/14/05
Re: BPL VCL DCU location?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 8, 2014 1:32 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Rob wrote:

Currently, I have to manually enter the dcu locations for
a new application; otherwise I get a DCU not found error?

That means the compiling project can't find the BPL. It resorts to DCUs
only when it has to. The DCUs are compiled into the BPL, so the app should
be looking for the BPL first. Otherwise, there is no point in creating a
BPL in the first place.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thank you for your reply. The VCL package does show in the Component/Install packages/Design packages list; indicating that the BPL should be found. However; the compiler tries to compile the package source code with the project source code. I get many error messages in the BPL pas source file. There no errors if the BPL is compiled separate. The generated DCU's will then link with no problem. The problem however remains, I have to manually configure the IDE path as previously described. I know there is a solution, I just have not found it yet. Obviously, the Delphi library "Find declaration" IDE command works as expected. That is, the DCU library is not compiled with each project "build" command.
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: BPL VCL DCU location?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 8, 2014 2:11 PM   in response to: Rob Ram in response to: Rob Ram
Rob wrote:

Thank you for your reply. The VCL package does show in the
Component/Install packages/Design packages list; indicating that
the BPL should be found.

That merely means that the IDE can find it. The IDE keeps a list of specific
packages that are installed and loaded while the IDE is running.

The error you are seeing means the compiler/linker cannot find the BPL.
You have to configure that search path separately.

However; the compiler tries to compile the package source code with the
project source code.

That means the compiler/linker canot find the BPL, but the BPL's source folder
is in the search path, so the source gets recompiled instead.

I get many error messages in the BPL pas source file. There no errors if
the BPL is
compiled separate.

Right, because your main project is likely not set up to recompile the BPL
source directly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Rob Ram

Posts: 3
Registered: 11/14/05
Re: BPL VCL DCU location?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 8, 2014 6:54 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thank you for your reply. The VCL package does show in the
Component/Install packages/Design packages list; indicating that
the BPL should be found.

That merely means that the IDE can find it. The IDE keeps a list of specific
packages that are installed and loaded while the IDE is running.

The error you are seeing means the compiler/linker cannot find the BPL.
You have to configure that search path separately.

However; the compiler tries to compile the package source code with the
project source code.

That means the compiler/linker canot find the BPL, but the BPL's source folder
is in the search path, so the source gets recompiled instead.

I get many error messages in the BPL pas source file. There no errors if
the BPL is
compiled separate.

Right, because your main project is likely not set up to recompile the BPL
source directly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thank you for the detailed reply. I shall try your suggestions. It may take me a week, but I will post the results.

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02