Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Really basic 'getting started' question...

Permlink Replies: 10 - Last Post: Jun 13, 2014 1:00 PM Last Post By: John Frazier
Ian Johnson

Really basic 'getting started' question...
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jun 7, 2014 9:40 PM
Hello,

I'm just getting going with FireMonkey (XE6) after many years of just working in Win32...

Am I right in thinking that I can only get the simulator to work for a device that I own and connect to my machine. So, do I have to connect my iPhone (for example) to my mac, run xCode, and join the Apple Developer Program, before I can get the simulator to work.

Also, does this mean that if, for example, I don't own an iPad I can't install the simulator?

I appreciate that these are very (very...) basic questions, but any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ian
Ian Johnson

Re: Really basic 'getting started' question...
  Posted: Jun 8, 2014 12:01 AM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
Ian Johnson wrote:
Hello,

I'm just getting going with FireMonkey (XE6) after many years of just working in Win32...

Am I right in thinking that I can only get the simulator to work for a device that I own and connect to my machine. So, do I have to connect my iPhone (for example) to my mac, run xCode, and join the Apple Developer Program, before I can get the simulator to work.

Also, does this mean that if, for example, I don't own an iPad I can't install the simulator?

I appreciate that these are very (very...) basic questions, but any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

OK, I think this answers my question: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE6/en/Installation_Notes_for_XE6. And so I do need to connect my phone and join the Apple Developer Program...
Richard Stevens

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 12:13 AM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
No, you can run the simulator for any device. I don't have an iPad with retina display, but can still choose that as the hardware option when running the simulator.

Richard
Ian Johnson

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 1:03 AM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
Richard Stevens wrote:
No, you can run the simulator for any device. I don't have an iPad with retina display, but can still choose that as the hardware option when running the simulator.

Richard

Thanks Richard - I'm assuming that I still need to connect one device (eg iPhone) and have the Apple account?

Ian
Mike Sutton

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 7:02 AM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
Ian Johnson wrote:
Thanks Richard - I'm assuming that I still need to connect one device (eg iPhone) and have the Apple account?

Nope. As long as you have a Mac to run the simulator just install the Apple dev tools (no account needed), install PAServer, configure remote profiles, set target and build/run.

No hardware needed (other than Mac). No account needed.

--
FireMonkey users guide http://bit.ly/10abRZX
MonkeyStyler FireMonkey style designer http://bit.ly/PzxKyI
Embarcadero MVP
John Frazier

Posted: Jun 13, 2014 1:00 PM   in response to: Mike Sutton in response to: Mike Sutton
Mike Sutton wrote:
Ian Johnson wrote:

Nope. As long as you have a Mac to run the simulator just install the Apple dev tools (no account needed), install PAServer, configure remote profiles, set target and build/run.

No hardware needed (other than Mac). No account needed.

Not quite. You DO need an Apple developer account (albeit a free one) to get XCode + iOS SDK so you may run the simulator.
--
John Frazier (Embarcadero Newsgroup Admin)
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 11:46 AM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
Ian wrote:

Am I right in thinking that I can only get the simulator to work for a
device that I own and connect to my machine.

No. The whole point of using a simulator is when you DO NOT have the device.
If you have the device, skip the simulator and use the device directly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Ian Johnson

Posted: Jun 8, 2014 11:39 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Ian wrote:

Am I right in thinking that I can only get the simulator to work for a
device that I own and connect to my machine.

No. The whole point of using a simulator is when you DO NOT have the device.
If you have the device, skip the simulator and use the device directly.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thanks to all of you for these answers - I thought it should be ok, but had a bit of trouble fathoming out the documentation. Also, the trial version of RAD XE6 seems to come with PAserver 2 and it needs 5 (minor issue once I knew what I was trying to do).

I have another basic question. As far as I can see, I can't add breakpoints to debug my code when running under the simulator (I may be missing something here). What's the 'recommended' method for debugging?

Thanks again, Ian
Ian Johnson

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 12:22 AM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
Ian Johnson wrote:
Hello,

Thanks, Ian

I meant to reply to all answers, so here it is again...

Thanks to all of you for these answers - I thought it should be ok, but had a bit of trouble fathoming out the documentation. Also, the trial version of RAD XE6 seems to come with PAserver 2 and it needs 5 (minor issue once I knew what I was trying to do).

I have another basic question. As far as I can see, I can't add breakpoints to debug my code when running under the simulator (I may be missing something here). What's the 'recommended' method for debugging?

Thanks again, Ian
Douglas Rudd

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 3:18 PM   in response to: Ian Johnson in response to: Ian Johnson
You need to have the Build Configuration set to Debug and you have to press the Run button (not the Run Without Debugging button).

After you compile, even before you run it, you should see in the editor all your lines of code have blue dots on them. If they dont then something is wrong.
Ian Johnson

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 5:27 PM   in response to: Douglas Rudd in response to: Douglas Rudd
Douglas Rudd wrote:
You need to have the Build Configuration set to Debug and you have to press the Run button (not the Run Without Debugging button).

After you compile, even before you run it, you should see in the editor all your lines of code have blue dots on them. If they dont then something is wrong.

Thanks Douglas.

I was doing something dumb... I didn't look closely enough at the new interface and hit the wrong run button!

Edited by: Ian Johnson on Jun 9, 2014 5:28 PM

Edited by: Ian Johnson on Jun 9, 2014 5:30 PM

Edited by: Ian Johnson on Jun 9, 2014 11:51 PM

Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02