Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: LocationSensor is not starting the GPS

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 18 - Last Post: Oct 22, 2014 12:51 AM Last Post By: Juan Nunes
Jens Munk

LocationSensor is not starting the GPS  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 28, 2014 4:07 AM
I just cannot get the TLocationSensor to start the GPS on any of the Android phones I have tried. I have tried the Location sensor sample and now I have even made a totally simplified program - still with no luck. I am obviously using XE5 and I am now on update 2. The phone I am currently connected to is a Motorola Razr, but as said I have tried on ohter phones with Android ranging from 3.2 to 4.1.2. The app is granted all possible rights including GPS.

The observations is that the GPS does not come on when I set the LocationSensor to active and I just get the location of the cell tower.

One more observation that may be a clue: If I set the LocationSensor to active in the IDE, so it will come up active when the app starts, I get a bunch of error messages and the app crashes.

First chance exception at $530FC300. Exception class Segmentation fault (11). Process Experiment02.apk (28597)
First chance exception at $530FC300. Exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 530FC300, accessing address 00000000'. Process Experiment02.apk (28597)
.....and several more like these

Wild guess - could there be something wrong with the Android SDK setup on my computer?

Regards,

Jens.

unit MainU;

interface

uses
System.SysUtils, System.Types, System.UITypes, System.Classes, System.Variants,
FMX.Types, FMX.Controls, FMX.Forms, FMX.Graphics, FMX.Dialogs, FMX.StdCtrls,
System.Sensors, FMX.Sensors, FMX.Edit;

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
StartBtn: TButton;
LocationSensor: TLocationSensor;
LatitudeEdit: TEdit;
LongitudeEdit: TEdit;
procedure StartBtnClick(Sender: TObject);
procedure LocationSensorLocationChanged(Sender: TObject; const OldLocation,
NewLocation: TLocationCoord2D);
private
public
end;

var
Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.fmx}

procedure TForm1.LocationSensorLocationChanged(Sender: TObject;
const OldLocation, NewLocation: TLocationCoord2D);
begin
LatitudeEdit.Text:=NewLocation.Latitude.ToString;
LongitudeEdit.Text:=NewLocation.Longitude.ToString;
end;

procedure TForm1.StartBtnClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
if StartBtn.Text='Start sensor' then
begin
LocationSensor.Active:=true;
StartBtn.Text:='Stop sensor'
end
else
begin
LocationSensor.Active:=false;
StartBtn.Text:='Start sensor'
end;
end;

end.

Sebastian Kozub

Re: LocationSensor is not starting the GPS  
  Posted: Jan 28, 2014 5:25 AM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
I was trying some demos and my custom application with Localization and other sensor classes ...

I noticed that my GPS is getting (Lat, Long) when WiFi is ON, when WiFi was down there was no localization data...

Demo is in the Samples directory :)
Linden ROTH

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 2:05 PM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Jens Munk wrote:
I just cannot get the TLocationSensor to start the GPS on any of the Android phones I have tried. I have tried the Location sensor sample and now I have even made a totally simplified program - still with no luck. I am obviously using XE5 and I am now on update 2. The phone I am currently connected to is a Motorola Razr, but as said I have tried on ohter phones with Android ranging from 3.2 to 4.1.2. The app is granted all possible rights including GPS.

The observations is that the GPS does not come on when I set the LocationSensor to active and I just get the location of the cell tower.

One more observation that may be a clue: If I set the LocationSensor to active in the IDE, so it will come up active when the app starts, I get a bunch of error messages and the app crashes.

First chance exception at $530FC300. Exception class Segmentation fault (11). Process Experiment02.apk (28597)
First chance exception at $530FC300. Exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 530FC300, accessing address 00000000'. Process Experiment02.apk (28597)

Wild guess - could there be something wrong with the Android SDK setup on my computer?

Regards,

Jens.

First of all to get the location sensor working with the GPS turn off Location Services|Use Wireless Networks on your phone - this is a reported bug may I suggest a search of the QC | FireMonkey OR this forum items will find this information very quickly (and save you time)

Second the reason it's crashing is that you are firing events into UNINITIALIZED territory so not really a big clue
--
Linden
"Mango" was Cool but "Wasabi" was Hotter
Jens Munk

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 7:42 PM   in response to: Linden ROTH in response to: Linden ROTH
Thank you,

Now it starts the GPS and I get the correct location. However, it is inconvenient to have to turn the fallback network location off to use the GPS. Is is possible to turn the network location ON/OFF from the Delphi code as a work around?

I didn't find much about this in this forum or the QC. Which QC number is it?

Jens.

Linden ROTH wrote:

First of all to get the location sensor working with the GPS turn off Location Services|Use Wireless Networks on your phone - this is a reported bug may I suggest a search of the QC | FireMonkey OR this forum items will find this information very quickly (and save you time)

Second the reason it's crashing is that you are firing events into UNINITIALIZED territory so not really a big clue
--
Linden
Linden ROTH

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 2:45 AM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Jens Munk wrote:
Thank you,

Now it starts the GPS and I get the correct location. However, it is inconvenient to have to turn the fallback network location off to use the GPS. Is is possible to turn the network location ON/OFF from the Delphi code as a work around?

I didn't find much about this in this forum or the QC. Which QC number is it?

Jens.

There is no easy work around as the source for Android.Sensors is missing I've requested a copy through my contacts but so far ZERO - sorry

QC 121631
QC 121791
QC 121297

--
Linden

Jens Munk

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 6:18 AM   in response to: Linden ROTH in response to: Linden ROTH
Thanks!

I have also left a comment in the QC about this. Hopefully they get it fixed very soon. At least it is highly reproducible.

Jens.

Linden ROTH wrote:

There is no easy work around as the source for Android.Sensors is missing I've requested a copy through my contacts but so far ZERO - sorry

QC 121631
QC 121791
QC 121297

--
Linden

Cronos CronosPy

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 3:48 PM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Please I need this to work properly, which is part of the products one should do with Android, PLEASE TAKE IS VERY IMPORTANT

Jens Munk wrote:

Regards,

Jens.

unit MainU;

interface

uses

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
private
public
end;

var

implementation

{$R *.fmx}

begin
end;

begin
begin
end
else
begin
end;
end;

end.

Joaquin Pardo

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 9:28 AM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Messrs.
I'm losing customers and prospects about not having this GPS option, customers asking for this in standard manner and is terribly important to put a patch on this, please please I can not wait any longer
I await your response please

Jens Munk wrote:

Regards,

Jens.

unit MainU;

interface

uses

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
private
public
end;

var

implementation

{$R *.fmx}

begin
end;

begin
begin
end
else
begin
end;
end;

end.

Joaquin Pardo

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 9:07 AM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Please Mr Embarcadero need to work the GPS Cell compile it in the "XE6" is not accurate and does not start the GPS, please'm losing customers by not having this simple but necessary function of the cell, someone PLEASE assume this urgent need.
Regards and awaiting a response.

Por favor Sres. de Embarcadero necesito que funcione el GPS del celular lo compile en el "XE6", no es exacto y no inicia el GPS, por favor estoy perdiendo clientes por no tener esta sencilla pero necesaria función del celular, POR FAVOR que alguien asuma esta necesidad tan urgente.
Saludos y en espera de alguna respuesta.

Jens Munk wrote:

Regards,

Jens.

unit MainU;

interface

uses

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
private
public
end;

var

implementation

{$R *.fmx}

begin
end;

begin
begin
end
else
begin
end;
end;

end.

Edited by: Joaquin Pardo on Apr 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Jeff Overcash (...

Re: LocationSensor is not starting the GPS [Edit]  
  Posted: Apr 24, 2014 12:43 PM   in response to: Joaquin Pardo in response to: Joaquin Pardo
Joaquin Pardo wrote:
Please Mr Embarcadero need to work the GPS Cell compile it in the "XE6" is not accurate and does not start the GPS, please'm losing customers by not having this simple but necessary function of the cell, someone PLEASE assume this urgent need.
Regards and awaiting a response.

Por favor Sres. de Embarcadero necesito que funcione el GPS del celular lo compile en el "XE6", no es exacto y no inicia el GPS, por favor estoy perdiendo clientes por no tener esta sencilla pero necesaria función del celular, POR FAVOR que alguien asuma esta necesidad tan urgente.
Saludos y en espera de alguna respuesta.

These are peer support groups. Embarcadero does not monitor them.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted corridors of Whitehall.
(Fish)
Joaquin Pardo

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 2:43 PM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Mr ALREADY SOLVED AND WORKS!!

1.- In your mobile device go to "Settings-->Location Access"
2.- Check the "GPS satellites" option and uncheck the "Wi-Fi & mobile network location" one

Doing this will work with the GPS locaclización the exact location

Jens Munk wrote:

Regards,

Jens.

unit MainU;

interface

uses

type
TForm1 = class(TForm)
private
public
end;

var

implementation

{$R *.fmx}

begin
end;

begin
begin
end
else
begin
end;
end;

end.

Jens Munk

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 11:43 PM   in response to: Joaquin Pardo in response to: Joaquin Pardo
This is a known work around and not a solution. The app should be able to start the GPS itself if it's available. All other apps that use location can do that.

Jens.

Joaquin Pardo wrote:

2.- Check the "GPS satellites" option and uncheck the "Wi-Fi & mobile network location" one

Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Apr 25, 2014 9:43 AM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Jens Munk wrote:
This is a known work around and not a solution. The app should be able to start the GPS itself if it's available. All other apps that use location can do that.

Jens.

Joaquin Pardo wrote:

The Problem is that the Android LocationSensor loads the gps provider in order
of performance, not granularity. The most responsive Location sensor is the
network one (NETWORK_PROVIDER). This one does not show the little icon because
it is not using the satellite. Next is the GPS_PROVIDER if the NETWORK_PROVIDER
is not enabled. Finally if the first 2 are not enabled it drops back to
PASSIVE_PROVIDER.

If you have XE6 (the source did not ship in XE5 for some reason) you can modify
the System.Android.Sensors and in the

function TUIAndroidLocationSensor.DoStart: Boolean;

function change the order to one you want (put the GPS check first instead of
second). Add your changed .pas file to your project so it gets picked up and used.

You can also download my example in CodeCentral for using the JNI directly and
it loads the GPS_PROVIDER sensor (not I do not have any extra checked like you
will find in the DoStart method so if the GPS_PROVIDER is not turned on you will
get errors, so you would want to do checked like

FLocationManager.isProviderEnabled(TJLocationManager.JavaClass.GPS_PROVIDER)

to make sure the provider is turned on.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Fish)
Jens Munk

Posted: Apr 25, 2014 1:36 PM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Please post a link to your example in the Code Central.

Also, is there any chance to get this missing pas file for XE5?

Jens.

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
You can also download my example in CodeCentral for using the JNI directly and
it loads the GPS_PROVIDER sensor (not I do not have any extra checked like you
will find in the DoStart method so if the GPS_PROVIDER is not turned on you will
get errors, so you would want to do checked like

(Fish)
Jeff Overcash (...

Correct
  Posted: Apr 25, 2014 8:40 PM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
Jens Munk wrote:

Code Central is under maintenance right now, but my author page is
cc.embarcadero.com/Author/102.

No it was never shipped for whatever reason. All the other platforms sensor
source were, only Androids was not. This oversight is corrected in XE6.

FWIW, the order that the Delphi Sensor class works is the recommended order by
Android. Problem with cross platform is sometimes you end up with not getting
full access to the features of a single single. In this case Altitude is not
available in the sensor because other platforms don't have it, and I think the
ability to change which location sensor you want is another that fell prey to
the fact you can't on others so it is not exposed in a cross-platform component.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Fish)
Linden ROTH

Posted: Apr 26, 2014 12:26 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...

the fact you can't on others so it is not exposed in a cross-platform component.

Not in front of XE6 But have a XE6 (I think) SensorInfo on my S4A and am getting correct altitude in the GPS section !!!

--
Linden
"Mango" was Cool but "Wasabi" was Hotter but remember it's all in the "source"
Jens Munk

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 1:19 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Thanks Jeff,

The Code Central is up again and your instructions are:

http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/29790

I have downloaded it and it works great - thank you very much.

Jens.

Jens Munk wrote:

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Fish)
Jimboy24 123

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 8:41 PM   in response to: Jens Munk in response to: Jens Munk
i have downloeasde and when i click load providers the show message "Acces violation at address 5DFF159E,accessing address 00000000."
please the solution ??

Jens Munk wrote:
Thanks Jeff,

Jens.

Jens Munk wrote:

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Fish)
Juan Nunes

Posted: Oct 22, 2014 12:51 AM   in response to: Jimboy24 123 in response to: Jimboy24 123
me too...

Jimboy24 123 wrote:
i have downloeasde and when i click load providers the show message "Acces violation at address 5DFF159E,accessing address 00000000."
please the solution ??

Jens Munk wrote:
Thanks Jeff,

Jens.

Jens Munk wrote:

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Fish)
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02