Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: The Self-Paced Online Delphi "Bootcamp"

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Apr 21, 2018 2:41 PM Last Post By: Rael Bauer Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Alan Colburn

The Self-Paced Online Delphi "Bootcamp"
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 1:10 PM
The Delphi community desperately needs [more] instructional resources for those beyond the advanced beginner stage. Delphi's Object Pascal is a great modern language & IDE; you can do just about anything. But much of what's out there is marketed to professionals already knowledgeable about its use.

That's a detriment. Not that long ago, for example, I spent some time trying to figure out how to code something which, it turns out, I could accomplish pretty easily with a free Firebase account--but I had no idea such things existed! I learned about it through instructional materials about a different language. ... What else don't I know about?!

Other languages have all sorts of free code camps, Udemy courses, online tutorials, and other resources to, theoretically, take one from "zero" to "hero." I know--some of it's bad, some good. Delphi's got similar stuff, too, for beginners to learn the language basics (as they existed 10 or 12 years ago). But then what? The web (and amazon) make available a plethora of stuff--but I don't know how to tell what's good or accurate, and it's easy to pick materials that are too advanced.

So, I'm hoping you, the Delphi community, can use your collective wisdom to assemble suggestions for a "curriculum" of resources to help advanced beginners become, say, very junior level Delphi developers. We'll do the learning, just help us know what to study, in an order that keeps us from getting lost (and discouraged). I think it would be awesome to have a list along the lines of "Read (or watch) A or chapters 1-8 of B, and then try writing a program that does something like C. Next, read D and write a program that does E or F, etc. ... [And then] at this point you could learn about K (L is a good resource), or M (via N), or even O, depending on your interests."

Do you have suggestions?
Markus Humm

Re: The Self-Paced Online Delphi "Bootcamp"
  Posted: Apr 20, 2018 8:36 AM   in response to: Alan Colburn in response to: Alan Colburn
Am 19.04.2018 um 22:10 schrieb Alan Colburn:
The Delphi community desperately needs [more] instructional resources for those beyond the advanced beginner stage. Delphi's Object Pascal is a great modern language & IDE; you can do just about anything. But much of what's out there is marketed to professionals already knowledgeable about its use.

That's a detriment. Not that long ago, for example, I spent some time trying to figure out how to code something which, it turns out, I could accomplish pretty easily with a free Firebase account--but I had no idea such things existed! I learned about it through instructional materials about a different language. ... What else don't I know about?!

Other languages have all sorts of free code camps, Udemy courses, online tutorials, and other resources to, theoretically, take one from "zero" to "hero." I know--some of it's bad, some good. Delphi's got similar stuff, too, for beginners to learn the language basics (as they existed 10 or 12 years ago). But then what? The web (and amazon) make available a plethora of stuff--but I don't know how to tell what's good or accurate, and it's easy to pick materials that are too advanced.

So, I'm hoping you, the Delphi community, can use your collective wisdom to assemble suggestions for a "curriculum" of resources to help advanced beginners become, say, very junior level Delphi developers. We'll do the learning, just help us know what to study, in an order that keeps us from getting lost (and discouraged). I think it would be awesome to have a list along the lines of "Read (or watch) A or chapters 1-8 of B, and then try writing a program that does something like C. Next, read D and write
a program that does E or F, etc. ... [And then] at this point you could learn about K (L is a good resource), or M (via N), or even O, depending on your interests."

Do you have suggestions?

Hm, there's the Delphi Academy website now I think.
But I haven't looked at it much lately and so I don't know what's
already there and whether the structure of that site is good for the
task. It would need to be structured similiar to these groups, each
entry needs a unique number and entries can be in more than one category.

Greetings

Markus
Rael Bauer

Re: The Self-Paced Online Delphi "Bootcamp"
  Posted: Apr 21, 2018 2:41 PM   in response to: Alan Colburn in response to: Alan Colburn
Do you have suggestions?

Every year Embarcadero has run a CodeRage online webinar. You should
find useful information if you look through the past CodeRage archives.

-Rael
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02