Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Hi, Rudy Velthuis



Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Apr 20, 2018 1:49 PM Last Post By: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Kai Inge Buseth

Posts: 86
Registered: 6/5/08
Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 18, 2018 4:25 AM
Yesterday I discovered the offending post of "cypha brooklyn" in some
delphi newsgroups, like
embarcadero.public.delphi.ide
embarcadero.public.delphi.install
embarcadero.public.delphi.non-technical

Today it's still there.
Why is this shit not removed and the autor banned?

:)
Kai Inge
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 18, 2018 11:28 AM   in response to: Kai Inge Buseth in response to: Kai Inge Buseth
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

Yesterday I discovered the offending post of "cypha brooklyn" in some
delphi newsgroups, like
embarcadero.public.delphi.ide
embarcadero.public.delphi.install
embarcadero.public.delphi.non-technical

Today it's still there.
Why is this shit not removed and the autor banned?

I see no such messages on the server, in any of the forums you
mentioned. Looks like Jeff Overcash did remove them yesterday and
created a ban for Cypha. If you are still seeing the messages in your
newsreader, they must have been cached locally, so just delete them.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 18, 2018 2:49 PM   in response to: Kai Inge Buseth in response to: Kai Inge Buseth
Kai Inge Buseth wrote:

Yesterday I discovered the offending post of "cypha brooklyn" in some
delphi newsgroups, like
embarcadero.public.delphi.ide
embarcadero.public.delphi.install
embarcadero.public.delphi.non-technical

Today it's still there.
Why is this shit not removed and the autor banned?

:)
Kai Inge

Well, I am not the only TeamB member "policing" these groups, and I
have been busy doing other, real life things (I am a dentist, after
all, with a family and other obligations). But it seems someone else
(Jeff Overcash?) took care of this.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Robert Triest

Posts: 687
Registered: 3/24/05
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 12:11 AM   in response to: Kai Inge Buseth in response to: Kai Inge Buseth
The IntraWeb newsgroup has been spammed for the last two weeks or so with many posts.
It seems that they found a hole in the forum system (In the past years they used it many times before..) and they change the username frequently.
Strange thing is if you look at the Registered date of these "users" it's always a month ahead, like May 19, 2018
Jeff Overcash (...

Posts: 1,529
Registered: 9/23/99
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 12:34 AM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
On 4/19/2018 3:11 AM, Robert Triest wrote:
The IntraWeb newsgroup has been spammed for the last two weeks or so with many posts.
It seems that they found a hole in the forum system (In the past years they used it many times before..) and they change the username frequently.
Strange thing is if you look at the Registered date of these "users" it's always a month ahead, like May 19, 2018

Sometimes in these cases we check the IP address and ban IP Address ranges.
Depends on the country of origin if we can do that relatively safely.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
John David

Posts: 86
Registered: 9/5/16
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 1:53 PM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
On 19/04/2018 08:34, Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
On 4/19/2018 3:11 AM, Robert Triest wrote:
The IntraWeb newsgroup has been spammed for the last two weeks or so with many posts.
It seems that they found a hole in the forum system (In the past years they used it many times before..) and they change the username frequently.
Strange thing is if you look at the Registered date of these "users" it's always a month ahead, like May 19, 2018

Sometimes in these cases we check the IP address and ban IP Address ranges.
Depends on the country of origin if we can do that relatively safely.

do you also check: embarcadero.public.docs

I see hundreds of messages from China or some Asian countries. See this
picture:

<https://i.imgur.com/oAxLh70.png>

This happens almost daily. i have created a filter in Thunderbird but
they seem to changing their ID.

Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 3:26 PM   in response to: John David in response to: John David
John David wrote:

do you also check: embarcadero.public.docs

Yes. And unfortunately, the spammers in that group have posted many
hundreds of messages, which takes a long time to cleanup by hand one
message at a time. At least in the IntraWeb group, the spammers are
posting only a few dozen messages a day, which takes just a few minutes
to clear.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 4:26 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

John David wrote:

do you also check: embarcadero.public.docs

Yes. And unfortunately, the spammers in that group have posted many
hundreds of messages, which takes a long time to cleanup by hand one
message at a time.

Get XanaNews. It is extremely easy with XN: you simply select every
message you want to cancel and then press C. Ok, that only works for
TeamB. I can tell you how (it is easy).

That way I can cancel several /*thousands*/ of spam messages in one go.
And I have done so.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"If you believe in the existence of fairies at the bottom of
the garden you are deemed fit for the bin. If you believe in
parthenogenesis, ascension, transubstantiation and all the rest
of it, you are deemed fit to govern the country."
-- Jonathan Meades
Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,447
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 20, 2018 1:49 PM   in response to: Rudy Velthuis (... in response to: Rudy Velthuis (...
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB, MVP) wrote:

Get XanaNews.

I already have, and do use it.

It is extremely easy with XN: you simply select every message you want
to cancel and then press C.

Nope, mine doesn't. First off, pressing C does nothing. I have to
right-click and choose "Cancel Message on server". But even then, it
only allows 1 message to be canceled at a time. If I select multiple
messages and try to cancel them, it refuses with a popup message:

"This version of XanaNews does not allow you to cancel multiple
selected messages"

I'm using the latest version, 1.21-f3fb89f, from here:

https://github.com/graemeg/xananews/releases

Besides, as I commented earlier, cancelling messages doesn't actually
delete them from the forum server, it just replaces their content with
text like "this message is no longer available". The only way to
actually delete the messages is through the web interface, 1 message at
a time.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: Hi, Rudy Velthuis
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 4:23 PM   in response to: Robert Triest in response to: Robert Triest
Robert Triest wrote:

The IntraWeb newsgroup has been spammed for the last two weeks or so
with many posts. It seems that they found a hole in the forum system
(In the past years they used it many times before..) and they change
the username frequently. Strange thing is if you look at the
Registered date of these "users" it's always a month ahead, like May
19, 2018

Actually, that is and has always been the case for ALL users. Take a
look at some of the users you know to be bona fide.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did,
you’d be out of a job.”
-- Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02