Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: newsgroups messages?



Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Apr 20, 2018 1:57 PM Last Post By: Remy Lebeau (Te... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Edmund Wong

Posts: 154
Registered: 10/26/02
newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 13, 2018 7:27 PM
Hi,

Can someone clarify whether or not it's just me or has all messages
in non-technical been removed?

I'm seeing zero messages here. I mean... not even old messages. I
see some in delphi.third-party.general though.

Thanks

Edmund
Dan Barclay

Posts: 889
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 13, 2018 7:59 PM   in response to: Edmund Wong in response to: Edmund Wong
Edmund Wong wrote:
Hi,

Can someone clarify whether or not it's just me or has all messages
in non-technical been removed?

I'm seeing zero messages here. I mean... not even old messages. I
see some in delphi.third-party.general though.

There are some weird things going on here, but I'm seeing existing/older messages through the web view.

Dan
Markus Humm

Posts: 5,113
Registered: 11/9/03
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 14, 2018 8:07 AM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Am 14.04.2018 um 04:59 schrieb Dan Barclay:
Edmund Wong wrote:
Hi,

Can someone clarify whether or not it's just me or has all messages
in non-technical been removed?

I'm seeing zero messages here. I mean... not even old messages. I
see some in delphi.third-party.general though.

There are some weird things going on here, but I'm seeing existing/older messages through the web view.

Dan

Afaik something in the message base got corrupted server side a few
weeks back.

Maybe we need a petition to get EMBT fixing this...

Greetings

Markus
Kim Madsen

Posts: 362
Registered: 12/13/99
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 2:05 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Hi,

Unfortunately I think the chance of a general fix is slim. They intend
to shut down the NNTP newsgroups sooner rather than later. In fact they
have stated that intent for a couple of years now.

The problem seemingly is that the code based behind the current foras is
"lost in cyberspace" or otherwise no longer supportable.

best regards
Kim/C4D

On 14/04/2018 17.07, Markus Humm wrote:

Am 14.04.2018 um 04:59 schrieb Dan Barclay:
Edmund Wong wrote:
Hi,

Can someone clarify whether or not it's just me or has all messages
in non-technical been removed?

I'm seeing zero messages here. I mean... not even old messages. I
see some in delphi.third-party.general though.

There are some weird things going on here, but I'm seeing existing/older messages through the web view.

Dan

Afaik something in the message base got corrupted server side a few
weeks back.

Maybe we need a petition to get EMBT fixing this...

Greetings

Markus
Quentin Correll


Posts: 2,412
Registered: 12/1/99
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 4:53 PM   in response to: Kim Madsen in response to: Kim Madsen
Kim,

| They intend
| to shut down the NNTP newsgroups sooner rather than later. In fact
| they have stated that intent for a couple of years now.

I, for one, sincerely hope that NEVER happens!!! <sigh>

--

Q -- XanaNews 1.20-0cfde51 - 2018-04-19 16:53:13

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Roy Lambert

Posts: 40
Registered: 10/21/99
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 19, 2018 11:49 PM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin

I'm quite happy with the idea of terminating the NNTP server - anytime after I'm terminated will be fine by me.

Roy Lambert

John David

Posts: 86
Registered: 9/5/16
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 20, 2018 8:49 AM   in response to: Roy Lambert in response to: Roy Lambert
On 20/04/2018 07:49, Roy Lambert wrote:
Quentin

I'm quite happy with the idea of terminating the NNTP server - anytime after I'm terminated will be fine by me.

Roy Lambert


Instead of terminating the nntp, how about sub-contracting the task of
running them to people like gmane/gwene?

gmane: <news.gmane.org>
gwene: <news.gwene.org>

They can ensure that there are no spammers and they have been running
newsgroups for some time so they know how to control users.

Alternatively, we could ask <http://www.giganews.com> to run the newsgroups.

They all require login/sign-in so the users can be controlled.
Roy Lambert

Posts: 40
Registered: 10/21/99
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 20, 2018 9:48 AM   in response to: John David in response to: John David
John

Sorry - I have no desire to be "controlled"

Roy Lambert

Remy Lebeau (Te...


Posts: 9,448
Registered: 12/23/01
Re: newsgroups messages?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 20, 2018 1:57 PM   in response to: John David in response to: John David
John David wrote:

They all require login/sign-in so the users can be controlled.

So does Embarcadero's server. Only logged in users can post messages.
The problem is, they don't verify new sign-ins are from actual people,
so even automated bots can join. And the "control" they let us
moderators have is pitiful.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02