Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Sending partial updates to a remote client app/application

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Apr 16, 2018 10:08 AM Last Post By: Kim Madsen Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Richard Stevens

Sending partial updates to a remote client app/application
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 12, 2018 12:35 PM
Scenario: User A has downloaded via Datasnap/SOAP/Rest/PickAModel a hundred records into their ClientDataset in a thin client application which is disconnected.

User B has the same data. They update a record in their app, and save their changes back.

I want to send the updated record - and only that- to user A's dataset and merge it in seamlessly. So User A ends up with 99 original records, the update from User B - and - a few changes he's made to the other 99. And he can then press Save and send his changes back. (Let's ignore editing conflicts for now, they're likely to be rare).

Of course, it might be one record, or ten, or more. But the idea is to keep the traffic as slim as possible and just send the changes needed, so I'm not constantly having to send the entire dataset back and forth just to update a few records inside it.

It must be a common problem, surely?

Ideas welcome. Does Firedac offer anything more over and above the traditional ClientDataset > DatasetProvider > TSomeQuery model I'm most familiar with?

Thanks
Richard
Kim Madsen

Re: Sending partial updates to a remote client app/application
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 16, 2018 10:08 AM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
Hi,

kbmMW supports doing that. You can push delta values around to
subscribing clients pretty seamlessly.

Kim Madsen
www.components4developers.com

On 12/04/2018 21.35, Richard Stevens wrote:
Scenario: User A has downloaded via Datasnap/SOAP/Rest/PickAModel a hundred records into their ClientDataset in a thin client application which is disconnected.

User B has the same data. They update a record in their app, and save their changes back.

I want to send the updated record - and only that- to user A's dataset and merge it in seamlessly. So User A ends up with 99 original records, the update from User B - and - a few changes he's made to the other 99. And he can then press Save and send his changes back. (Let's ignore editing conflicts for now, they're likely to be rare).

Of course, it might be one record, or ten, or more. But the idea is to keep the traffic as slim as possible and just send the changes needed, so I'm not constantly having to send the entire dataset back and forth just to update a few records inside it.

It must be a common problem, surely?

Ideas welcome. Does Firedac offer anything more over and above the traditional ClientDataset > DatasetProvider > TSomeQuery model I'm most familiar with?

Thanks
Richard
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02