Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: IB 2017 Update 2 - non-positive size allocation request

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Apr 13, 2018 10:36 AM Last Post By: Sriram Balasubr...
Kjell Ljungqvist

IB 2017 Update 2 - non-positive size allocation request
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 5, 2018 10:49 AM
When installing IB 2017 (Update 2) on a new server at a customer site we got this error message interbase.log when accessing the database.
(The old server had Interbase 2007 and we restored the database to the new server.)

DLSERP (Client) Thu Apr 05 11:16:49 2018
gds__alloc: non-positive size allocation request

Which then makes our application fail.

I have never seen this error message before...?

Since we couldn't get around the problem we installed IB XE7 instead on the same server and restored the same database and everything is OK.

Any thoughts...?

/Kjell
Sriram Balasubr...

Re: IB 2017 Update 2 - non-positive size allocation request
  Posted: Apr 5, 2018 5:51 PM   in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist
Kjell,
I'd request you to log a Support case with a reproducible test case. We can debug and let you know.

Also, just a quick question. Are you using any "Batch updates" in your application? As in, sending a batch of rows to the database engine? There is one case that we have recently fixed (internally), discovered in InterBase 2017 Update 2 build, that is not GA yet.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:
When installing IB 2017 (Update 2) on a new server at a customer site we got this error message interbase.log when accessing the database.
(The old server had Interbase 2007 and we restored the database to the new server.)

Since we couldn't get around the problem we installed IB XE7 instead on the same server and restored the same database and everything is OK.

Any thoughts...?

/Kjell
Kjell Ljungqvist

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 1:58 PM   in response to: Sriram Balasubr... in response to: Sriram Balasubr...
Hi Sriram

I think it will be hard for us to get a reproducible test case since this is the only case we have had yet and on this specific server we now have XE7 in production use.
We will get back to you if this happens again on another server. I just wanted to check if this was something that someone else had encountered and reported too.

And no. We are not using batch updates.

Best regards,
Kjell

Sriram Balasubramanian wrote:
Kjell,
I'd request you to log a Support case with a reproducible test case. We can debug and let you know.

Also, just a quick question. Are you using any "Batch updates" in your application? As in, sending a batch of rows to the database engine? There is one case that we have recently fixed (internally), discovered in InterBase 2017 Update 2 build, that is not GA yet.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:

Any thoughts...?

/Kjell
Kjell Ljungqvist

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 6:16 AM   in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist
Well we only had to wait one more day...
Today the same error occured at another site. At this site we then only downgraded to IB 2017 Update1 HF1 and then the problem disappeared.
So even if we still will have problems producing a test case to send to you it definitely seems like this is something that only happens with Update 2.

Best regards,
Kjell

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:
Hi Sriram

I think it will be hard for us to get a reproducible test case since this is the only case we have had yet and on this specific server we now have XE7 in production use.
We will get back to you if this happens again on another server. I just wanted to check if this was something that someone else had encountered and reported too.

Best regards,
Kjell

Kjell,

Best wishes,
Sriram

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:

Any thoughts...?

/Kjell
Sriram Balasubr...

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 10:36 AM   in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist in response to: Kjell Ljungqvist
Kjell,
ok; thanks for the details.

I will request our Support team to send you the fixed InterBase client libraries (post-2017Update2) to see if this resolves the problem you are observing.

Best wishes,
Sriram

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:
Well we only had to wait one more day...
Today the same error occured at another site. At this site we then only downgraded to IB 2017 Update1 HF1 and then the problem disappeared.
So even if we still will have problems producing a test case to send to you it definitely seems like this is something that only happens with Update 2.

Best regards,
Kjell

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:
Hi Sriram

Best regards,
Kjell

Kjell,

Best wishes,
Sriram

Kjell Ljungqvist wrote:

Any thoughts...?

/Kjell
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02