Guest Settings
Help

Thread: compiling apps for the android

Permlink Replies: 22 - Last Post: Apr 28, 2015 7:31 AM Last Post By: john lmast
john lmast

compiling apps for the android
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 13, 2014 12:20 PM
Hi, i come from the turbo pascal xyz through borland delphi 6/7 era. i am new to XE7 and android, iOS and ipad app development, and am considering the delphi xe7 architect and am testing with the trial, but i am having some trouble compiling simple apps for the android LG G Pad 7 tablet. the whole process from installing right up to this point is so overwhelming to me this past week and i don't know where else to turn except here.

so let me get right into it...

1. start delphi xe7
2. File\New and select Multi Device Application, select Blank Application
3. at the top menu bars, click the drop-down list and select Android
4. under Style, select Android
5. under Views, select Android 7" Tablet
6. under Tool Palette, add a TEdit and TButton control to the form
7. under menu, Project, select Compile Project1 (ctrl-F9) = Done.
8. under menu, Project, select Build Project1 (shift-F9) = Done.
9. under menu, Project, select Deploy libProject1.so = Done.
10. click on the green triangle, to 'Run without debugging (shift+ctrl+F9) = Confirm: The selected emulator is not running. Do you want to start it?

step 10 is where i am stuck. it is highly recommended against using the emulator because it is very slow, and i agree, but even when i do select it, it does not compile.

11. But what i want to know is how to compile using the recommended direct-connect through usb. i have my android connected.
12. on the android, under settings, i have the Developer Option un-hidden and USB debugging enabled.
13. on the android, i am under the desktop view where there are room for new icons (or apps) to be added from the xe7.
14. at some point in the whole process, i managed to add a Target node for AVD_for_LG_7_Tablet. It is listed in bold but has an circled red-x on it.
15. i do not know what else to do after step 10. i'm stuck.

i have tried similar steps for the iOS and iPad/iPhone platform with similar errors.

i have been reading and reading but just don't know what else to do.

thank you.

Edited by: john lmast on Nov 13, 2014 12:21 PM

Edited by: john lmast on Nov 13, 2014 12:23 PM
Douglas Rudd

Re: compiling apps for the android
  Posted: Nov 13, 2014 1:53 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
Sounds like your device is not showing up in the project list. "AVD_for_LG_7_Tablet" is probably the name of the emulator.
On your windows start menu did you go to Programs - Embarcaderro XE7 - Android SDKs and run Android Tools?
It will tell you if you need to download some extra stuff. Especially Google drivers.
Markus Humm

Re: compiling apps for the android [Edit]
  Posted: Nov 15, 2014 8:07 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
Hello,

1. did you install the necessary USB drivers for your Android device?
Most vendors do offer them on their website for download.
2. does you device show up in the IDE's project manager?
3. You did install the SDK and NDK I guess and you set them up in the
IDE, right?
4. open a command window and navigate to the Android SDK folder. There's
a subfolder platformtools or similar under it. Go into that and run
adb devices.
If your device is properly connected it will show a line with some
cryptic device ID. If no device is connected it will tell you as
well.
5. did you enable debug mode on your device? It's in Android's settings.
I think you need to tap the last item inn the developer settings
submenu 10 times nowdays to enable debugging or something like this.
6. if the compiler did sucessfully compile your app you can just copy
the .apk file the compiler generated (it's under debug\Android\bin
somewhere in your project directory) to your Android device. If you
allow app installations from unsecure places you can run your apk
with a file explorer app (e.g. Astro file manager) and with that
install it.

I hope this helps you a bit further

Markus
john lmast

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 3:06 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
my apologies for not correcting my original post's title and not responding back in a timely manner.

after a few more trial and error steps, i was able to locate and download the correct driver from LG's website. once downloaded and installed, and a few other misc. settings were made, i was finally in business.

download and install this driver for the LG G PPad 7.0 Tablet below.
(scroll down midway and select the 'SOFTWARE UPDATE' tab. this was the filename "LGUnitedMobileDriver_S51MAN312AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.12.3.exe")

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGV400

thank you all, douglas and markus for the fast responses, and john frazier (via tech support line) for guiding me through the final stages of the process.
john lmast

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 6:05 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
ok, this is heart-breaking.. I loaded up the last project I was working on this past friday, and the process is no longer working. in the project manager window, my LG V400 is no longer showing up, so I can't compile, instead, it is showing the old compile error message,

"The selected emulator is not running. Do you want to start it?"

everything is set the same way-- for android. I don't know what else to do since I didn't change or reconfigured anything on this laptop since Friday!
john lmast

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 7:35 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
well, it is back again. because I was trying many different things back and forth many times, its difficult to track exactly what step(s) did the trick. but it may have something to do with the usb cable acting up, maybe.
john lmast

Posted: Apr 23, 2015 8:59 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
{quote]Sounds like your device is not showing up in the project list. "AVD_for_LG_7_Tablet" is probably the name of the emulator.
On your windows start menu did you go to Programs - Embarcaderro XE7 - Android SDKs and run Android Tools?
It will tell you if you need to download some extra stuff. Especially Google drivers.{quote}

I am back to this problem again, but a little worse then when i was using the XE7 trail.

I finally purchased the XE7 Professional and had to uninstall the Trial version first before it would install the XE7 Professional, and after that, I was under the assumption that it installed everything that I needed, and I began writing code and apps over the last 4 months or so while not needing to use the mobile app features yet, like android development, etc. And now that I am there and need to start creating apps for android, i can't because all the necessary features were not installed. I honestly don't know how to phrase my problem or questions and i'm very fustrated and lost, now. But i will try again, here.

This is about the best i can describe with my xe7 professional setup.

1. when i go to the menu, and select file\new\multi device application
1a. and select a blank project to start with,
1b. there is no device for the android in Project Manager. Only 32 and 64 bit, and OS X show up.
1c. it looks something like this:

- [ ] Target Platforms (Win32)
| [ ] 32-bit Windows (in bold)
| [ ] 64-bit Windows
| [ ] OS X - Android LG Pad 7 Tablet profile

2. when i go into menu, Tools\Options\SDK Manager, the right side pane window 'SDK versions:' list is empty.
2a. and when i click on the [Add] button, the 'Select a platform:' only lists OS X as an option.
2b. 'select a profile to connect:' is grayed out.
2c. 'select an SDK version:' is disabled, and [ok] button is grayed out and disabled.

3. when i go to Start menu, and select All Programs, Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7,
3a. the following items are available:

Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7
* app: Check for Updates
* app: Delphi XE7
* app: Modify, Repair, Uninstall
* app: RAD Studio Command Prompt
* app: RAD Studio Documentation
* folder: Samples

3b. there is none of the following items from 3a's list above:
* folder: Android SDKs
* app: Android AVD Manager
* app: Android Tools

I have been through many webpages reading and trying many different things. It go to a point that things were getting so messy that i ended up reinstalling xe7 last night. However, i am still right back where i left off, with the above problems.

I've been at this all week and can't figure out how to resolve.

Can someone please help me get Delphi XE7 Professional up and running correctly with android development ? Thank you.

System Specs:
dell aspiron laptop, windows 7 home premium
6gig ram mem
delphi xe7 professional, with fireDAC and Mobile add-on packs.
Dalija Prasnikar

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 10:36 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:

Can someone please help me get Delphi XE7 Professional up and running correctly with android development ? Thank you.

System Specs:
6gig ram mem

Probably the fastest way would be to get official support (free) for
Installation and Registration at http://www.embarcadero.com/support

--
Dalija Prasnikar
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 10:46 AM   in response to: Dalija Prasnikar in response to: Dalija Prasnikar
Dalija Prasnikar wrote:
john lmast wrote:

System Specs:
6gig ram mem

--
Dalija Prasnikar

But according to this below, it is not free support. I have to had purchase one of their support package. I don't have that kind of money to spend for the 'current support contract'.

Please choose Registration and Installation for license transfers to another user, increase registration limits and other installation and registration related needs. Product Support is for customers with a current support contract with product related issues.

Edited by: john lmast on Apr 24, 2015 10:46 AM
Dalija Prasnikar

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 10:53 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:
Dalija Prasnikar wrote:
john lmast wrote:

System Specs:
6gig ram mem

--
Dalija Prasnikar

But according to this below, it is not free support. I have to had purchase one of their support package. I don't have that kind of money to spend for the 'current support contract'.

Please choose Registration and Installation for license transfers to another user, increase registration limits and other installation and registration related needs. Product Support is for customers with a current support contract with product related issues.

Registration and Installation support is free, and you are facing installation
issues and you cannot get all parts of the product you have purchased installed.
Just choose Registration and Installation support and you'll be fine. However, they
do not work over the weekends.

You can also try to post about your issue in new community site, since Embarcadero
employees tend to read those more often and provide more support there.
http://community.embarcadero.com/

This forums are peer support forums and you will not get too much official support here.

--
Dalija Prasnikar
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 11:22 AM   in response to: Dalija Prasnikar in response to: Dalija Prasnikar
Registration and Installation support is free, and you are facing installation
issues and you cannot get all parts of the product you have purchased installed.
Just choose Registration and Installation support and you'll be fine. However, they
do not work over the weekends.

You can also try to post about your issue in new community site, since Embarcadero
employees tend to read those more often and provide more support there.
http://community.embarcadero.com/

This forums are peer support forums and you will not get too much official support here.

--
Dalija Prasnikar

thank you, i will try again.

Edited by: john lmast on Apr 24, 2015 11:22 AM
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 11:28 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:
Dalija Prasnikar

I am at the Embarcadero Support website now, trying to fill in the boxes.
Right after Operating system [Windows 7 (64-Bit)] they are asking for a Serial or Certificate No.

What is that ? for my windows laptop ? I don't know what that is.
Dalija Prasnikar

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 11:38 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:
john lmast wrote:
Dalija Prasnikar

Right after Operating system [Windows 7 (64-Bit)] they are asking for a Serial or Certificate No.

That would be your Delphi serial number (the one you have to enter during installation)

--
Dalija Prasnikar
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 11:44 AM   in response to: Dalija Prasnikar in response to: Dalija Prasnikar
{quote}

That would be your Delphi serial number (the one you have to enter during installation)

--
Dalija Prasnikar

I have five serials...as I recall, the only options to enter serials was for Delphi XE7 and I think, FireDAC. As for the rest, they were never aske for, so they weren't entered, and don't know if there is a place to enter them.

Delphi XE7 pro - ESD
IBLfite XE3
Interbase XE3
FireDAC client/server add-on pack ESD
Mobile add-on pack ESD
Dalija Prasnikar

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 12:08 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:
{quote}

I have five serials...as I recall, the only options to enter serials was for Delphi XE7 and I think, FireDAC. As for the rest, they were never aske for, so they weren't entered, and don't know if there is a place to enter them.

Delphi XE7 pro - ESD
IBLfite XE3
Interbase XE3
FireDAC client/server add-on pack ESD
Mobile add-on pack ESD

Just use Delphi serial... if any additional information will be required
they will ask you later. You can also enter other serials as additional
information into message body.

--
Dalija Prasnikar
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 12:49 PM   in response to: Dalija Prasnikar in response to: Dalija Prasnikar
Just use Delphi serial... if any additional information will be required
they will ask you later. You can also enter other serials as additional
information into message body.

ok, I submitted the a request for help and received my case number.
But all the text was completely jumbled. no formatting from the post copy/pasted from the Apr 23, 2015 08:59pm. I meant to copy the link in case this would happen, but forgot. now, i can't update that case. But thank you for helping me get this far, much appreciated.
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 4:56 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
I have not heard a word from Embarcadero Support, and now I have another serious problem and I can't resolve it. I don't know how.

The second problem now, is that there is an 'Embarcadero Product Registration' dialog box that pops up when I try to start XE7.

It is asking for my serial number, and every time I enter and submit it, it rejects it with another dialog box, 'License Manager' with the message:

No valid license information found for Embarcadero Delphi XE7. You must provide a valid serial number
in order to use Embarcadero Delphi XE7. Do you want to run the registration wizard again?

I've entered it so many times, and receive the same final answer, over and over again.

You are not licensed to use Embarcadero Delphi XE7

Why is m license suspended or bad?

I have a deadline to get demo to some people by this Monday, but I can't because I keep stumbling into these brick walls.

Please Embarcadero, help me!!!

Edited by: john lmast on Apr 24, 2015 4:56 PM
john lmast

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 6:30 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
Still no word from Embarcadero.

I am now going to uninstall the complete Delphi XE7 Pro. Maybe that will fix the license problem, at least.
john lmast

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 8:50 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:

I am now going to uninstall the complete Delphi XE7 Pro. Maybe that will fix the license problem, at least.

After 6 1/2 hours of this process, uninstalling completely, and then reinstalling via downloading freshly over a very slow DSL, I was back in business with Delphi XE7 and no license issues.

Now, I'd like to get back to the original topic, which is, getting android development working. I think I will create a post on the other board (as suggested) since this one is always down and no one seems to be watching this thread.
john lmast

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 9:14 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:

After 6 1/2 hours of this process, uninstalling completely, and then reinstalling via downloading freshly over a very slow DSL, I was back in business with Delphi XE7 and no license issues.

Now, I'd like to get back to the original topic, which is, getting android development working. I think I will create a post on the other board (as suggested) since this one is always down and no one seems to be watching this thread.
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Apr 26, 2015 8:26 PM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
john lmast wrote:
john lmast wrote:

try using the repair/modify with the setup
and then select to add mobile from that
Markus Humm

Posted: Apr 27, 2015 11:59 AM   in response to: john lmast in response to: john lmast
Am 25.04.2015 um 18:14 schrieb john lmast:
john lmast wrote:

Hello,

what is missing for the mobile part to work?
Is the NDK and the SDK installed?

If not you can download them from Google's pages as well.
When manually installing the SDK you need to run the SDK manager to
download the rest of the packages and the last time I did this I sweared
about Google, as they tried to download stuff into folders where normal
users don't have write access. It took a bit of time to find out why it
failed. :-(

After that you can go to the options in Delphi and add the NDK and SDK.

Greetings

Markus
john lmast

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 7:31 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
RESOLVED - for the Delphi XE7 Professional

Hello everyone. I finally resolved it on the other forum board. Thank you for all your suggestions and have a great day.

http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/forum/welcome-mat/648-no-android-development-function-in-delphi-xe7-pro#1682
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02