Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Application being picked up as a virus (False positive)

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Mar 18, 2018 2:20 PM Last Post By: Richard Foersom
Bob McKinnon

Application being picked up as a virus (False positive)
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 4, 2017 8:26 AM
Hi All,

We had to write a small program using 10.1 for our users to run after they install one of our applications. The program moves data files around on their machine. This application is sometimes picked up as a Trojan. For example, ZoneAlarm sometimes sees it as, "not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Win32.Generic". If I move some code around in the application and recompile I can fix it but it comes back during future changes. Any idea how I can solve this false positive?

Thanks Bob
bernard roussely

Re: Application being picked up as a virus (False positive)
  Posted: Jul 26, 2017 11:35 AM   in response to: Bob McKinnon in response to: Bob McKinnon
Same issue with AVAST and other AVs. You need to add your app in a white list of "trusted apps" somewhere in your AV parameters/settings/exclusions.

bernard
Richard Foersom

Re: Application being picked up as a virus (False positive)
  Posted: Mar 18, 2018 2:18 PM   in response to: Bob McKinnon in response to: Bob McKinnon
Bob McKinnon wrote:
Any idea how I can solve this false positive?

Old question, but I will answer anyway. When you have a false positive you can report it to the anti-virus company and hope that they will refine their detection to eliminate the false positive.

To know if you app is detected as a false positive, you can upload the files to VirusTotal which checks it against 68 virus scanners (many more than I knew existed). I use this method to check before I release an app update on my Internet site. Note that if you use VirusTotal other people can not download, but you give antivirus companies access to your app.

https://www.virustotal.com/
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02