Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Upgrading from RAD Studio DXE2 to latest... Opinions please

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Feb 14, 2018 5:19 AM Last Post By: Scott Gast
Scott Gast

Upgrading from RAD Studio DXE2 to latest... Opinions please  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 13, 2018 12:37 PM
I've been using RAD Studio DXE2 / Update 4 since .... well, a long time. :)

It's time to upgrade, but I can't decide which version I need to purchase, based on my current and future needs. In the past, I have had to spend a few thousand dollars (USD) for the RAD Studio version because I built client/server Microsoft SQL Server database VCL applications.

It seems that all of my new development is going to be Intraweb based (plus IW add ons like CG Dev Tools) Microsoft SQL Server database applications. In any case, I have always believed that I was required to purchase the "big" version because of the "Microsoft SQL Server" database connections.

So, the question is: Can I build IW applications with SQL Server database connections with a "smaller" version? If so, what is the minimum version required to build IW+MSSQL database applications?

Thanks for your help!

Scott
Lou Feliz

Re: Upgrading from RAD Studio DXE2 to latest... Opinions please  
  Posted: Feb 13, 2018 2:16 PM   in response to: Scott Gast in response to: Scott Gast
Hi Scott,

Sounds like minimally you would need : Delphi Pro, UniDac or FireDac along with IW and CGDev to start with plus anything else you may have used along the way.

Scott Gast wrote:
I've been using RAD Studio DXE2 / Update 4 since .... well, a long time. :)

It's time to upgrade, but I can't decide which version I need to purchase, based on my current and future needs. In the past, I have had to spend a few thousand dollars (USD) for the RAD Studio version because I built client/server Microsoft SQL Server database VCL applications.

It seems that all of my new development is going to be Intraweb based (plus IW add ons like CG Dev Tools) Microsoft SQL Server database applications. In any case, I have always believed that I was required to purchase the "big" version because of the "Microsoft SQL Server" database connections.

So, the question is: Can I build IW applications with SQL Server database connections with a "smaller" version? If so, what is the minimum version required to build IW+MSSQL database applications?

Thanks for your help!

Scott
Scott Gast

Re: Upgrading from RAD Studio DXE2 to latest... Opinions please  
  Posted: Feb 14, 2018 5:19 AM   in response to: Lou Feliz in response to: Lou Feliz
Hey Lou,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

After continuing to research, I've come to the conclusion that there is no way around spending a few grand after it's all added up.

Thanks,
Scott
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02