Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Upgrading ios app from Berlin to Tokyo - TLabels changed

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Jan 31, 2018 2:49 AM Last Post By: Robert [NL] Mit...
Richard Stevens

Upgrading ios app from Berlin to Tokyo - TLabels changed
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 25, 2018 5:13 AM
In another thread I said I would report back on upgrading an existing ios app using Tokyo 10.2.2, but I thought this possibly worth starting a new thread for.

This app is working fine using Berlin 10.1 Update 2.

I deployed using the same XCode 8.2 and same SDK 10.2. Same project files, etc.

The app deployed and ran fine, but a visual inspection revealed:

- Change in status bar behaviour, annoying, but can be worked around. See comments below article here - https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/build-ios-11-ready-apps-with-rad-studio-10-2-1
- Some TLabels mysteriously having font style and text alignment changed. eg. labels that were normal are now in bold. Labels that were set with VertAlignment = Leading are now centred. Makes the interface look very messy. Currently baffled by this one, as at design time in Tokyo they still look as they should - it's only at runtime.

Has anybody else seen this second issue?

Regards
Richard
Keith Marbach

Re: Upgrading ios app from Berlin to Tokyo - TLabels changed
  Posted: Jan 25, 2018 5:17 AM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
- Some TLabels mysteriously having font style and text alignment changed. eg. labels that were normal are now in bold. Labels that were set with VertAlignment = Leading are now centred. Makes the interface look very messy.

Yes, saw this with 10.2.2 on android. I'm staying with 10.1.2 for now. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I posted the same sort of wtf message and response was to create a demo and upload it, but I don't see the point.

Keith
Richard Stevens

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 5:24 AM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Keith Marbach wrote:
- Some TLabels mysteriously having font style and text alignment changed. eg. labels that were normal are now in bold. Labels that were set with VertAlignment = Leading are now centred. Makes the interface look very messy.

Yes, saw this with 10.2.2 on android. I'm staying with 10.1.2 for now. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I posted the same sort of wtf message and response was to create a demo and upload it, but I don't see the point.

Keith

Thanks Keith. At least that saves me some time faffing around with different XCodes and SDKs to see if that helps.
Jeremy North

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 4:32 PM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
Richard Stevens wrote:
Keith Marbach wrote:

Keith

Thanks Keith. At least that saves me some time faffing around with different XCodes and SDKs to see if that helps.

Berlin (10.1.x) won't work with newer XCode versions (including the current) and there are no plans to support it.
Dave Nottage

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 12:40 PM   in response to: Keith Marbach in response to: Keith Marbach
Keith Marbach wrote:

Yes, saw this with 10.2.2 on android. I'm staying with 10.1.2 for now. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
I posted the same sort of wtf message and response was to create a demo and upload it, but I don't see the point.

The point is to ascertain what the problem is so that it can be fixed.

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Keith Marbach

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 6:03 PM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Yes, saw this with 10.2.2 on android. I'm staying with 10.1.2 for now. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
I posted the same sort of wtf message and response was to create a demo and upload it, but I don't see the point.

The point is to ascertain what the problem is so that it can be fixed.

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com

Normally I would be in total agreement with that. I've read a lot about Tokyo, and my impression of the latest version 10.2.2 is that it did not really address many of the problems with 10.2.1 or 10.2. I've seen several people say that many of the demos don't even work in Tokyo. So, if I felt like Delphi on mobile was as solid as Delphi on Windows (VCL), I wouldn't hesitate to create a demo and post, knowing that just the act of creating a demo often reveals where the underlying problem is. But, with mobile devleopment in 10.2.2, and android in particular which I very much need, I don't have the time to work through the problems that show up with very basic code, such as with demos, much less any sort of actual business-use software. And until Embarcadero regains my trust and confidence, by releasing a mobile development environment that is reliable to the point of having meaningful, working demos, I think I need to focus primarly on Windows development, and hope my android apps continue to work reliably using Berlin.

I would love nothing better than for someone to say they have a reliable configuration of all the main pieces (and to tell the rest of us what those versions of software are), and that they are creating business-purpose apps for android and ios that are fast and reliable, on most android and ios devices created in the past 5 years. There just does not seem to be a comprehensive source for current Delphi mobile development, and if there is I think there would be so many things to know (in terms of what works and when), the sheer amount of info to try to absorb is overwhelming when I read online and find people like you, writing technical articles (thank you very much for sharing btw), and those of many others who share their knowledge freely. Unlike with Window development, though, the effort to know how to program for mobile using Delphi is simply too high compared to the quality of the product I can create. At least, that's been my experience up to now.
Robert [NL] Mit...

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 3:25 AM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
- Some TLabels mysteriously having font style and text alignment changed. eg. labels that were normal are now in bold. Labels that were set with VertAlignment = Leading are now centred. Makes the interface look very messy. Currently baffled by this one, as at design time in Tokyo they still look as they should - it's only at runtime.

Has anybody else seen this second issue?

I use TLabel controls in 50+ frames, but do not experience this problem. Behavior is the same under Berlin and Tokyo (10.2.2). Do you use styles maybe (i.e. are property StyleLookup and StyleName empty)?
Richard Stevens

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 3:53 AM   in response to: Robert [NL] Mit... in response to: Robert [NL] Mit...
I use TLabel controls in 50+ frames, but do not experience this problem. Behavior is the same under Berlin and Tokyo (10.2.2). Do you use styles maybe (i.e. are property StyleLookup and StyleName empty)?

Thanks Robert, that's a good idea. I rarely set the Style names on my labels - are you saying you do?
Robert [NL] Mit...

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 2:49 AM   in response to: Richard Stevens in response to: Richard Stevens
Richard Stevens wrote:

Thanks Robert, that's a good idea. I rarely set the Style names on my labels - are you saying you do?

No, I also rarely use them anymore. But in the past I also had some unexpected design behaviors in my app that appeared to be caused by styles. Even if the StyleLookup property of your TLabel control is empty, it can still be effected by a alternative "default style" for TLabel defined in a StyleBook. So also check if the property StyleBook of the form that contains the label is also empty. Just a thought,
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02