Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Build issue

Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Oct 24, 2017 2:58 AM Last Post By: paul mason
paul mason

Build issue
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 23, 2017 6:40 AM
I have a project group that is made up of around 10 projects, one of which has just stopped compiling or building claiming that one particular unit that it uses cannot be found :

[dcc64 Fatal Error] Results.pas(16): F1026 File not found: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win64\U_Profile_TBeam.dcu'

This .dcu file is not located anywhere near this "madCollection" file location, but in my project folders. And I cannot find any compilation directive that states this folder has to be searched other than the Library paths which are part of the IDE and not this specific project.

I have inherited this project(s) so I'm not entirely sure how it's been put together...but considering how truly atrocious the code structures are (you name the sin, I can show you it a thousands times over) I'm guessing the configuration is pretty shoddy as well. A predecessor advised me to rollback and lose my work whenever this has happened in the past...this time I'm not prepared to do that. I want to find out what this IDE is doing and why.

These projects compiled and built perfectly well right up until half an hour ago. I have made a change in procedures I have changed previously without this kind of issue arising, so it shouldn't be that. This issue has arisen before and I have, as advised, simply rolled back to a state that I know compiles/builds. Surely that's not the only solution.

Paul
paul mason

Re: Build issue
  Posted: Oct 23, 2017 6:49 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
paul mason wrote:
I have a project group that is made up of around 10 projects, one of which has just stopped compiling or building claiming that one particular unit that it uses cannot be found :

[dcc64 Fatal Error] Results.pas(16): F1026 File not found: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win64\U_Profile_TBeam.dcu'

This .dcu file is not located anywhere near this "madCollection" file location, but in my project folders. And I cannot find any compilation directive that states this folder has to be searched other than the Library paths which are part of the IDE and not this specific project.

I have inherited this project(s) so I'm not entirely sure how it's been put together...but considering how truly atrocious the code structures are (you name the sin, I can show you it a thousands times over) I'm guessing the configuration is pretty shoddy as well. A predecessor advised me to rollback and lose my work whenever this has happened in the past...this time I'm not prepared to do that. I want to find out what this IDE is doing and why.

These projects compiled and built perfectly well right up until half an hour ago. I have made a change in procedures I have changed previously without this kind of issue arising, so it shouldn't be that. This issue has arisen before and I have, as advised, simply rolled back to a state that I know compiles/builds. Surely that's not the only solution.

Paul

Just to clarify that I have remarked out the code that I added after the last time I was able to successfully compile/build these projects. So it's not the code I added interacting in some unforeseen way.

Paul
paul mason

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 6:57 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
paul mason wrote:
paul mason wrote:

Paul

Just to clarify that I have remarked out the code that I added after the last time I was able to successfully compile/build these projects. So it's not the code I added interacting in some unforeseen way.

Paul

And to be even more specific I'm getting errors at different points in the compilation:

[dcc64 Fatal Error] EasiCADProductionSheets.dpr(26): F1026 File not found: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win64\RegionFunctions.dcu'

It goes without saying the RegionFunctions.dcu is not going to be found at this location because it is a project file, not part of madCollection.

??
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 10:10 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
paul mason wrote:
paul mason wrote:
paul mason wrote:

Paul

Paul

And to be even more specific I'm getting errors at different points in the compilation:

[dcc64 Fatal Error] EasiCADProductionSheets.dpr(26): F1026 File not found: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\Plugins\win64\RegionFunctions.dcu'

It goes without saying the RegionFunctions.dcu is not going to be found at this location because it is a project file, not part of madCollection.

??

This error message almost always means that the dcu found on your library path
was built with a different version of Delphi so it is now looking for the .pas
file to recompile and not finding it.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
(Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You)
Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you
know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you. We are
all leaners, doers, teachers. (R Bach)
paul mason

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 9:21 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
paul mason wrote:

Paul

After some digging and experimentation I have discovered that adding the specific paths for the specific units to the project search paths for each project generating an error has fixed the issue....I'm now left wondering why this issue occurred in the first place. Why, all of a sudden, have these projects demanded these specific paths?
Jeff Overcash (...

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 10:15 AM   in response to: paul mason in response to: paul mason
paul mason wrote:
paul mason wrote:

Paul

After some digging and experimentation I have discovered that adding the specific paths for the specific units to the project search paths for each project generating an error has fixed the issue....I'm now left wondering why this issue occurred in the first place. Why, all of a sudden, have these projects demanded these specific paths?

Usually it happens because you have a single dcu output for that package, you
rebuilt it in a different version of Delphi which overwrote your dcu's from the
other version so now the other version needs to recompile from the pas file.

Adding the source to your library path is not the best solution, instead in the
package set the dcu output directory to a version specific directory and then
add that binary directory to your library path (if there are .res/.dfm files
they need to be copied to the output directory too).

Putting hte source in your library path ends up with lots of different versions
of the dcu scattered all over the place (which often leads to this type of
problem). Better to control this and place each compiler specific dcu into a
single spot for that compiler.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
paul mason

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 12:58 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
paul mason wrote:
paul mason wrote:

Paul

Usually it happens because you have a single dcu output for that package, you
rebuilt it in a different version of Delphi which overwrote your dcu's from the
other version so now the other version needs to recompile from the pas file.

Adding the source to your library path is not the best solution, instead in the
package set the dcu output directory to a version specific directory and then
add that binary directory to your library path (if there are .res/.dfm files
they need to be copied to the output directory too).

Putting hte source in your library path ends up with lots of different versions
of the dcu scattered all over the place (which often leads to this type of
problem). Better to control this and place each compiler specific dcu into a
single spot for that compiler.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense. None of the projects have got the output directory set, which is about par for the course for this tool. I'll let you know how I get on a bit later.
paul mason

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 2:58 AM   in response to: Jeff Overcash (... in response to: Jeff Overcash (...
That's done the trick thanks. After reading the help in more detail I set the Unit output directory to a common output folder for each project.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02