Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Unable to open file 'VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB' in 10.1 Berlin

Permlink Replies: 26 - Last Post: Aug 28, 2017 9:04 PM Last Post By: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch

Unable to open file 'VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB' in 10.1 Berlin
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 17, 2016 7:08 PM
I've upgraded from XE6 to 10.1 Berlin and am trying to get my projects to compile with the CLANG 32-bit compiler. Unfortunately the CLANG compiler seems much slower but I am running into a more serious problem with it (I think I've resolved the other issues but am at a loss on this one). I am getting errors like this:
[ilink32 Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB'

I cannot find this *.lib file anywhere on my disk but I have some similar file. Does it also look for Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.dcu or Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.obj? I have those files in folders like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\lib\win32\release" and those folders do seem to be in the library path for the 32-bit compiler.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on here? Is this a compiler bug?

Edited by: Albert Wiersch on Aug 17, 2016 7:13 PM

Edited by: Albert Wiersch on Aug 17, 2016 7:13 PM
Albert Wiersch

Re: Unable to open file 'VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB' in 10.1 Berlin
  Posted: Aug 18, 2016 11:34 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:
I've upgraded from XE6 to 10.1 Berlin and am trying to get my projects to compile with the CLANG 32-bit compiler. Unfortunately the CLANG compiler seems much slower but I am running into a more serious problem with it (I think I've resolved the other issues but am at a loss on this one). I am getting errors like this:

I've been "messing" with this and decided to try copying Vcl.Imaging.Pngimage.obj to Vcl.Imaging.Pngimage.lib and my applications now compile and link! So I can actually start getting some work done again.... however, something is still wrong because some of the images are messed up. I imagine it is because of this issue and failure to properly link PNG image functions... so I am still looking for a solution.

I'm wondering if it is due to a problem with the old Toolbar2000 components I use (with SpTBX) so will be trying that next.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 18, 2016 9:59 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
OK... one more question.... how can I find out what is causing the linker to try to link VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB? Maybe someone can help with this.... hopefully. I've been spending a lot of time on this issue. Thanks.
Antonio Estevez

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 12:43 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
El 19/08/2016 a las 6:59, Albert Wiersch escribió:
OK... one more question.... how can I find out what is causing the linker to try to link VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE.LIB? Maybe someone can help with this.... hopefully. I've been spending a lot of time on this issue. Thanks.

Did you opened the XE6 project with 10.1 Berlin?

It is not recommended to do that because the old project may contain invalid paths and/or libraries names.

Try creating a new project and add the source files to it.
Also, rename VCL.IMAGING.PNGIMAGE with the original extension (.obj).

Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 7:50 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
{quote:title=Antonio Estevez wrote:}>

It is not recommended to do that because the old project may contain invalid paths and/or libraries names.

I tried both. I used the XE6 project but edited it to remove and update a lot of the old paths and libraries (this worked for a simpler project of mine which does compile and link with bcc32c). Then since I was not having any luck with that I rebuilt the project from scratch. Same linker error.

I'm thinking it's either a bug in the compiler/linker or something to do with something that is used in the project but what??? Do you know if there's a way to know why the linker is trying to link with this non-existent lib file? Or maybe how to get an appropriate lib file?

Thanks.
Antonio Estevez

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 9:56 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
El 19/08/2016 a las 16:50, Albert Wiersch escribió:
{quote:title=Antonio Estevez wrote:}>

I tried both. I used the XE6 project but edited it to remove and update a lot of the old paths and libraries (this worked for a simpler project of mine which does compile and link with bcc32c). Then since I was not having any luck with that I rebuilt the project from scratch. Same linker error.

I tested a new project which creates a TPngImage object in 10.1 Berlin and the project compiles and links fine.
#include <Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.hpp>
__fastcall TForm1::TForm1(TComponent* Owner)
    : TForm(Owner)
{
    TPngImage *Image= new TPngImage();
}

I'm thinking it's either a bug in the compiler/linker or something to do with something that is used in the project but what??? Do you know if there's a way to know why the linker is trying to link with this non-existent lib file? Or maybe how to get an appropriate lib file?

The Vcl.Imaging.Pngimage.hpp header file contains the following line:

#pragma link "Vcl.Imaging.pngimage"

When the extension is omitted, the linker adds:
- .obj extension for BCC32 compiler
- .o extension for Clang C++ complilers and for BCCOSX compiler.

So, if the linker complains about the file Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.lib is missing then it is problably that somewhere in
your code you have a line like this:

#pragma link "Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.lib"
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 10:41 AM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Antonio wrote:

So, if the linker complains about the file Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.lib is
missing then it is problably that somewhere in your code you have a
line like this:

Or you are linking to another library that then links to the .lib. Or maybe
there is a reference to the .lib in the projct file itself.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 12:48 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
Antonio wrote:

So, if the linker complains about the file Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.lib is
missing then it is problably that somewhere in your code you have a
line like this:

Or you are linking to another library that then links to the .lib. Or maybe
there is a reference to the .lib in the projct file itself.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have run this command on several folders (including all my source and project files) but it has found nothing:
findstr /s /i /c:"vcl.imaging.pngimage.lib" *

This does find some things (but nothing wrong as far as I can tell):
findstr /s /i /c:"vcl.imaging.pngimage" *

Any other suggestions to find out where this reference is coming from?
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 19, 2016 1:28 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:

UPDATE: Well this is interesting!

It looks like removing this line had an effect in one of the projects that wasn't linking:
#include <Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.hpp>

I removed a TImage and the above #include and was able to compile and link the DLL.

But why? I'm going to remove some other TImage components in my other project and that #include and see what happens.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 9:32 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:

By the way, I do not get this linker problem with the classic compiler, which makes me think it's a compiler/linker bug.

I want to move to C++11 and I can't.

Anyone know when a service or bug fix release will be available for 10.1 Berlin? Hoping that that will fix it.
Eli M

Posted: Aug 25, 2016 8:33 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
I had an issue like this with FMX.LIB, FMX.Media.Win, and IsValidUrl.

IsValidUrl is in the Windows urlmon library through Winapi.UrlMon.dcu.

The fix was to add this line in the project source below #pragma hdrstop:

#pragma comment (lib, "urlmon.lib")

It's possible the PNG library uses some Windows API call like urlmon does?
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 11:37 AM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
I had an issue like this with FMX.LIB, FMX.Media.Win, and IsValidUrl.

IsValidUrl is in the Windows urlmon library through Winapi.UrlMon.dcu.

The fix was to add this line in the project source below #pragma hdrstop:

#pragma comment (lib, "urlmon.lib")

It's possible the PNG library uses some Windows API call like urlmon does?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but no luck. :(

I still get with bcc32c:

I've been spending so much time fighting issues related to upgrading to 10.1 Berlin that I haven't gotten any "real" work programming work done... so for anyone considering upgrading, BEWARE.
Martin van der ...

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 1:43 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:
Albert Wiersch wrote:

By the way, I do not get this linker problem with the classic compiler, which makes me think it's a compiler/linker bug.

I want to move to C++11 and I can't.

Anyone know when a service or bug fix release will be available for 10.1 Berlin? Hoping that that will fix it.

Rather than wait, I would recommend just writing your own PNG handling functions, and use libpng directly. Creating images using TPngImage randomly doesn't work (produces blank images) and it can also actually crash your application trying to read some PNG images.

Save you the frustration.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 9:08 AM   in response to: Martin van der ... in response to: Martin van der ...
{quote:title=Martin van der Plas wrote:}
Rather than wait, I would recommend just writing your own PNG handling functions, and use libpng directly. Creating images using TPngImage randomly doesn't work (produces blank images) and it can also actually crash your application trying to read some PNG images.

Save you the frustration.

Hello,

I REALLY do not want to have to do that nor should I have to (and it worked with XE6). I use a few PNG images in my forms and components. I really do not do a lot with PNG,.. and I am not reading in or creating any PNG images at runtime.

So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a better solution or to find the problem. :)
Brett Wilton

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 9:55 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Not sure if this is the correct way but I suspect this error is a linker bug.

Managed to get it to compile and seems to run (I havent fully tested).

It seems the bcc32c for some reason is adding LIB rather than using OBJ like the bcc32.

Vcl.Imaging.jpeg.hpp has : -

It did not work setting the extension explicitly to : -

#pragma link "Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.obj"

So if added the following to Vcl.Imaging.jpeg.hpp, Vcl.Imaging.GIFimg.hpp and Vcl.Imaging.pngimage.hpp around each respective pragma link : -

#if defined(__BORLANDC__) && !defined(__clang__)
#pragma link "Vcl.Imaging.jpeg"
#endif
Brett Wilton

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 4:48 PM   in response to: Brett Wilton in response to: Brett Wilton
Actually I found you can explicitly add the extension, it was a long day.

In each of the header files I added : -

#if defined(__BORLANDC__) && defined(__clang__) && defined(_WIN32) && !defined(_WIN64)
#else
#endif

I wasn't able to replicate the error in a fresh test app by either using the include files or adding TImage with JPEG.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 10:46 AM   in response to: Brett Wilton in response to: Brett Wilton
Brett Wilton wrote:

#if defined(__BORLANDC__) && defined(__clang__) && defined(_WIN32) && !defined(_WIN64)
#else
#endif

I wasn't able to replicate the error in a fresh test app by either using the include files or adding TImage with JPEG.

Thank you! This seems to work. Unfortunately I am now getting a crash when I try to launch my app unless I build it with debug information. Perhaps yet another bug to investigate.... :(

But thanks again for solving this one.
Brett Wilton

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 2:33 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Thank you! This seems to work. Unfortunately I am now getting a crash when I try to launch my app unless I build it with debug information. Perhaps yet another bug to investigate.... :(

Check if you have any difference in the compiler options between Debug and Release.

I need to have C++ Linker and "Link with Dynamic RTL" OFF.

Also Packages->Runtime Packages "Link with runtime packages" OFF as well.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 4:14 PM   in response to: Brett Wilton in response to: Brett Wilton
Brett Wilton wrote:

Check if you have any difference in the compiler options between Debug and Release.

The only difference is 'Debug information' setting... I choose a 'Release' build and can make it work or not work by changing this single setting on the 'Release' build:

Works: 'Debug information' is true
Doesn't work (crashes when run): 'Debug information' is false (the default for 'Release' builds)

That's the only setting I can change that affects this issue. This is with bcc32c.

Mine is set to 'false'.

Also Packages->Runtime Packages "Link with runtime packages" OFF as well.

I have this set to 'false' as well.

So the question remains... why does the debug information setting cause this problem? I am wondering if it affects inline functions and might have something to do with that... perhaps a bug with inlining that causes the crash (and it doesn't do inlining with debug info set to 'true') .... ? Hmmmmmm..... well, maybe not... I just tried turning off inlining ('Expand inline functions') while leaving off (false) debug info and it didn't work.
Brett Wilton

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 6:52 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
With all the same compiler settings does a fresh project work ?

Verify that first, if you haven't already and then add in files till you get it not working.

I tested a clean VCL project and added a TImage with jpeg image which compiles correctly with the original headers.

So something may have gone astray for me going from 10.1 to 10.1 Update 1 somehow.
Albert Wiersch

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 8:38 AM   in response to: Brett Wilton in response to: Brett Wilton
Brett Wilton wrote:
With all the same compiler settings does a fresh project work ?

Verify that first, if you haven't already and then add in files till you get it not working.

I tested a clean VCL project and added a TImage with jpeg image which compiles correctly with the original headers.

So something may have gone astray for me going from 10.1 to 10.1 Update 1 somehow.

A fresh project with just a TButton works.... it could be something in my application that is not right or could be a compiler bug... I'm just not sure.

I think I will just go back to using what works (the classic compiler) for now, so I can get some work done. It's also significantly faster.

I will probably revisit this issue later, maybe after Update 2. I suspect it may be difficult to find the exact problem, if it's even in my code.
Brett Wilton

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 8:49 PM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
I think I will just go back to using what works (the classic compiler) for now, so I can get some work done. It's also significantly faster.

I will probably revisit this issue later, maybe after Update 2. I suspect it may be difficult to find the exact problem, if it's even in my code.

Yes its hard to warrant the time trying to figure these issues out.

I'm probably in the same boat and haven't even got to trying to debug which I hear is not that flash under bcc32c but can't confirm that from experience.

For my project I have the compile time down for the 8.4 MLOC down to 2 min 27 seconds using Parallel compilation with 8 virtual cores on my VM. The bcc32 compiler still kills this even with 1 core which is around 1 min 35.5 seconds.
david hoke

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 7:27 AM   in response to: Albert Wiersch in response to: Albert Wiersch
Albert Wiersch wrote:

Brett Wilton wrote:
Thank you! This seems to work. Unfortunately I am now getting a
crash when I try to launch my app unless I build it with debug
information. Perhaps yet another bug to investigate.... :(

Check if you have any difference in the compiler options between
Debug and Release.

The only difference is 'Debug information' setting... I choose a
'Release' build and can make it work or not work by changing this
single setting on the 'Release' build:

Works: 'Debug information' is true
Doesn't work (crashes when run): 'Debug information' is false (the
default for 'Release' builds)

That's the only setting I can change that affects this issue. This is
with bcc32c.

Mine is set to 'false'.

Also Packages->Runtime Packages "Link with runtime packages" OFF as
well.

I have this set to 'false' as well.

So the question remains... why does the debug information setting
cause this problem? I am wondering if it affects inline functions and
might have something to do with that... perhaps a bug with inlining
that causes the crash (and it doesn't do inlining with debug info set
to 'true') .... ? Hmmmmmm.....

Or perhaps just an issue with memory handling/usage when debug
information is being processed...
Tony Thompson

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 1:21 AM   in response to: david hoke in response to: david hoke
I got this error while changing to use Pre-Compiled Headers (pch)
Using the changes to the vcl header files worked.

I also found I could not include any form or frame in the pch that used imaging or styles.
Tony Thompson

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 1:21 AM   in response to: david hoke in response to: david hoke

I also found I could not include any form or frame in the pch that used imaging or styles.
Tony Thompson

Albert Wiersch

Posted: Aug 28, 2017 9:04 PM   in response to: Brett Wilton in response to: Brett Wilton
Brett Wilton wrote:

#else
#endif

Uggg.. had to apply this fix again in 10.2.1.... they still haven't fixed it.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02