Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Just reverted back from 10.2.1 to 10.2

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Aug 25, 2017 8:01 AM Last Post By: Officinall Marc...
Paul Bedford

Just reverted back from 10.2.1 to 10.2
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Aug 15, 2017 4:15 AM
I have just had to revert back from 10.2.1 back to 10.2 as using 10.2.1 is too slow to develop on.

If I temporarily remove LiveBinding BPL from IDE I have large forms that load in under a second in both 10.2 and 10.2.1, but with LiveBinding BPL loaded it take over 30 seconds in 10.2 and over a minute in 10.2.1.

Code insight on 10.2 is near instantaneous but on 10.2.1 could take over 3 minutes for first fire up. Pointing to the same source code.

First switch from code to design on 10.2, nearly immediately, 10.2.1 takes up to 1 minute.

All of this plus a general slow down means it is unusable for me and our company.

One major issue that may be an issue is that from 10.2.1 IDE Fix pack no longer works and that makes a big difference, come on Embarcadero either give 'Andreas Hausladen' either a job or licence so we can have this supported, he has done so much for the community over the years with his fixes, or implement all of his fixes in the IDE.

I need the fixes for Android and 10.3 so I might have to put 10.2.1 on a VM to do that but for general day to day development currently, 10.2.1 is too slow.

Paul Bedford.
Darian Miller

Re: Just reverted back from 10.2.1 to 10.2
  Posted: Aug 16, 2017 7:17 AM   in response to: Paul Bedford in response to: Paul Bedford
One major issue that may be an issue is that from 10.2.1 IDE Fix pack no longer works and that makes a big difference, come on Embarcadero either give 'Andreas Hausladen' either a job or licence so we can have this supported, he has done so much for the community over the years with his fixes, or implement all of his fixes in the IDE.

Andreas doesn't even know what "all of his fixes" actually entails... there is no list and no tracking - so it's impossible to get all of his fixes into the IDE. You need specifics to give to Embarcadero in a QP issue, or vote on existing issues.
Andreas Hausladen

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 8:26 AM   in response to: Darian Miller in response to: Darian Miller
Darian Miller wrote:

Andreas doesn't even know what "all of his fixes" actually entails...

That's what you got from my google+ posts?

there is no list

There is a list but it isn't public and it never will be. Embt already
has it.

and no tracking

I don't know if Embt has created internal bug reports.
I can't create such bug reports in a public bug tracking system.
Compiler internals aren't for the public.

so it's impossible to get all of his fixes into the IDE.

That's for sure. There are patches that you can't implement in a clean
way because they do dirty tricks. Cracking interfaces is the least
dirty one. The usage of global states and caching data over multiple
functions and knowing what data is in what CPU register over multiple
function calls are the more extreme ones.

--
Andreas Hausladen

Darian Miller

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 9:19 AM   in response to: Andreas Hausladen in response to: Andreas Hausladen
Andreas doesn't even know what "all of his fixes" actually entails...

That's what you got from my google+ posts?

When you say "But a binary patch remains a binary patch and it is hard to understand what a binary patch does if you didn't write it yourself. And even if you are the author of it, 11 years is a long time to remember what it actually does. " then, yes, of course that's what I got out of it.
Officinall Marc...

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 8:01 AM   in response to: Paul Bedford in response to: Paul Bedford
Paul Bedford wrote:
I have just had to revert back from 10.2.1 back to 10.2 as using 10.2.1 is too slow to develop on.

some teamB will just tell you that it is the natural evolution...
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02