Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Unable to abort indy on OSX

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Last Post: Jul 26, 2017 4:35 AM Last Post By: Markus Humm
Guenter Kraemer

Unable to abort indy on OSX  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 20, 2017 10:30 PM
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

Normally, when I want to abort indy via a button click, I do it in the onWork event with the disconnect command. On PC, it works 100%, vcl or firemonkey, but on Mac OSX, it cause an exception which instantly quit the executable.
Also using connect timeout cause freezing or termination of the executable on Mac OSX (but works as it should on PC).
This looks like Embarcadero did never actually test indy properly, else such bugs would not happen. It renders indy completely useless in Mac OSX.

Using NetHTTP client works 100% fine, EXCEPT (!) it cant use proxies on Mac OSX, which also render it useless for me.

Does anybody has an idea how to get Indy properly working on Mac/OSX or know another socket library which actually work on osx?

Edited by: Guenter Kraemer on Jul 20, 2017 10:32 PM
Markus Humm

Re: Unable to abort indy on OSX [Edit]  
  Posted: Jul 21, 2017 7:21 AM   in response to: Guenter Kraemer in response to: Guenter Kraemer
Am 21.07.2017 um 07:32 schrieb Guenter Kraemer:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

Normally, when I want to abort indy via a button click, I do it in the onWork event with the disconnect command. On PC, it works 100%, vcl or firemonkey, but on Mac OSX, it cause an exception which instantly quit the executable.
Also using connect timeout cause freezing or termination of the executable on Mac OSX (but works as it should on PC).
This looks like Embarcadero did never actually test indy properly, else such bugs would not happen. It renders indy completely useless in Mac OSX.

Hello,

do you happen to have the name or so of that exception?
What happens when you run the program in the debugger and invoke that
action?

Greetings

Markus
Guenter Kraemer

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 7:31 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

Hello,

action?

Greetings

Markus

The executable instantly quits, I cant catch it at all. I see in the PAServer status window a Runtime Error 231.

This issue is so frustrating. I need to be able to load websites by using a proxy, and be able to abort the connection, and none of that seems to work when running on Mac OSX. So I was looking for any other http component, without success so far.
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 10:00 AM   in response to: Guenter Kraemer in response to: Guenter Kraemer
Am 21.07.2017 um 16:31 schrieb Guenter Kraemer:
Markus Humm wrote:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

Hello,

action?

Greetings

Markus

The executable instantly quits, I cant catch it at all. I see in the PAServer status window a Runtime Error 231.

This issue is so frustrating. I need to be able to load websites by using a proxy, and be able to abort the connection, and none of that seems to work when running on Mac OSX. So I was looking for any other http component, without success so far.

Hello,

have you tried ICS?
www.overbyte.be or getIt

Afaik that works on OS X as well.

Greetings

Markus
Guenter Kraemer

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 6:53 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
{quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}
Hello,

have you tried ICS?
www.overbyte.be or getIt

Afaik that works on OS X as well.

Greetings

Markus

ICS seems not to work when OSX is selected, it just cant compile and shows errors in various ICS sources.
Antonio Estevez

Re: Unable to abort indy on OSX  
  Posted: Jul 21, 2017 10:48 AM   in response to: Guenter Kraemer in response to: Guenter Kraemer
El 21/07/2017 a las 7:32, Guenter Kraemer escribió:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

Using NetHTTP client works 100% fine, EXCEPT (!) it cant use proxies on Mac OSX, which also render it useless for me.

Does anybody has an idea how to get Indy properly working on Mac/OSX or know another socket library which actually work on osx?

I've never tried it on OSX but, from my experience, the best way to abort the operation is to raise an exception within the
OnWork event

if AbortButtonPressed then
     raise Exception.Create('Operation aborted');
Guenter Kraemer

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 7:01 PM   in response to: Antonio Estevez in response to: Antonio Estevez
Antonio Estevez wrote:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

I've never tried it on OSX but, from my experience, the best way to abort the operation is to raise an exception within the
OnWork event

That will not work on OSX, it will quit the executable and shows Runtime error 231. Exception handling in firemonkey related to OSX seems to be screwed, and Embarcadero never fixed that, which might be the reason why indy is not working properly also.
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 5:19 AM   in response to: Guenter Kraemer in response to: Guenter Kraemer
Am 22.07.2017 um 04:01 schrieb Guenter Kraemer:
Antonio Estevez wrote:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

OnWork event

That will not work on OSX, it will quit the executable and shows Runtime error 231. Exception handling in firemonkey related to OSX seems to be screwed, and Embarcadero never fixed that, which might be the reason why indy is not working properly also.

Is there a QP report about this already?
if not, can you create one please?

Greetings

Markus
Guenter Kraemer

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 6:47 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:
Am 22.07.2017 um 04:01 schrieb Guenter Kraemer:
Antonio Estevez wrote:
Delphi 10.2 Tokyo

OnWork event

Is there a QP report about this already?
if not, can you create one please?

Greetings

Markus

There is, [https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-18586]
Dave Nottage

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 12:58 PM   in response to: Guenter Kraemer in response to: Guenter Kraemer
Guenter Kraemer wrote:

The report needs a reproducible example, otherwise it's pretty much pointless. I'm not saying the problem does not
exist, however it is very difficult to diagnose with such little information.

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 10:48 PM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Am 24.07.2017 um 21:58 schrieb Dave Nottage (TeamB):
Guenter Kraemer wrote:

The report needs a reproducible example, otherwise it's pretty much pointless. I'm not saying the problem does not
exist, however it is very difficult to diagnose with such little information.

Additionally it sounds like Remy is on vacation, otherwise he surely had
replied something already as he's the premier Indy guy afaik.

Greetings

Markus
Dave Nottage

Posted: Jul 24, 2017 11:42 PM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm

I think you mean "was". He has posted several times today in other groups, as well as being active in the IndySockets/Indy room on Gitter:

https://gitter.im/IndySockets/Indy

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Find hints tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 2:59 AM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Am 25.07.2017 um 08:42 schrieb Dave Nottage:

I think you mean "was". He has posted several times today in other groups, as well as being active in the IndySockets/Indy room on Gitter:

https://gitter.im/IndySockets/Indy

And he posted in another thread in this group where the OP of this one
answered with this OS X issue on a question regarding Win32.

Remy seems to know that the OS X platform support has an exception issue.

Greetings

Markus
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 10:41 AM   in response to: Markus Humm in response to: Markus Humm
Markus Humm wrote:

Additionally it sounds like Remy is on vacation, otherwise he surely
had replied something already as he's the premier Indy guy afaik.

Yes, I was on vacation. But I had already replied earlier that
exception handling (or lack of) is a known issue for Delphi on OSX.
This is not an Indy issue.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 11:19 AM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Am 25.07.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Remy Lebeau (TeamB):
Markus Humm wrote:

Additionally it sounds like Remy is on vacation, otherwise he surely
had replied something already as he's the premier Indy guy afaik.

Yes, I was on vacation. But I had already replied earlier that
This is not an Indy issue.

Hello,

I guessed that it was not an Indy issue. I just thought you might know
some workaround.

Best would of course be a fix from EMBT...

Greetings

Markus
Dave Nottage

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 2:00 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

But I had already replied earlier that

Is there a QP report number for this?

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Find hints, tips and tricks at Delphi Worlds blog: http://www.delphiworlds.com
Markus Humm

Posted: Jul 26, 2017 4:35 AM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Am 25.07.2017 um 23:00 schrieb Dave Nottage (TeamB):
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

But I had already replied earlier that

Is there a QP report number for this?

I know only about this one, which you already know:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-18586

So my question would be whether there is a reüport about generic
exception handling issues on OS X or not yet.

Greetings

Markus
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02