Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Migrating - Sysbase Advantage Database to Interbase - sample Intraweb Prj

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Jul 7, 2017 12:49 PM Last Post By: Mauricio Palude...
charles leggette

Migrating - Sysbase Advantage Database to Interbase - sample Intraweb Prj  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jul 4, 2017 12:22 PM
We have been using Advantage Database Server and Intraweb to develop and deploy some very complex Pension/401(k) software. Our Advantage version is at end-of-life so we decided to move the Db to Interbase. We are therefore in a learning curve. We're looking for a sample Intraweb/Interbase project that uses C++ Bldr or maybe even just a C++ bldr Interbase project.

Any assistance would be graciously accepted.
Mauricio Palude...

Re: Migrating - Sysbase Advantage Database to Interbase - sample Intraweb Prj
Helpful
  Posted: Jul 5, 2017 5:41 AM   in response to: charles leggette in response to: charles leggette
charles leggette wrote:
We have been using Advantage Database Server and Intraweb to develop and deploy some very complex Pension/401(k) software. Our Advantage version is at end-of-life so we decided to move the Db to Interbase. We are therefore in a learning curve. We're looking for a sample Intraweb/Interbase project that uses C++ Bldr or maybe even just a C++ bldr Interbase project.

Hello!

We are using ADS and migrated to firebird. My company has a ERP that works in win32, and we used ADS for a long long time (we still use and are in migration process) . Now we are working to migrate ERP to firebird (95% complete) and we has a small erp that was born using firebird + intraweb.
About migration ads x firebird, we are using firedac so it's easyest to convert.
In Intraweb project you can use a datasnap server to conect interbase or use firedac directily, you need to think about your future necessits, like a mobile apps...
If you wanna more details we can talk througth e-mail.

Regards
charles leggette

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 10:00 AM   in response to: Mauricio Palude... in response to: Mauricio Palude...
Maurice would you be so kind as to send me your email address, we'd like to continue this discussion offline.

Mauricio Paludetti wrote:
charles leggette wrote:

Hello!

We are using ADS and migrated to firebird. My company has a ERP that works in win32, and we used ADS for a long long time (we still use and are in migration process) . Now we are working to migrate ERP to firebird (95% complete) and we has a small erp that was born using firebird + intraweb.
About migration ads x firebird, we are using firedac so it's easyest to convert.
In Intraweb project you can use a datasnap server to conect interbase or use firedac directily, you need to think about your future necessits, like a mobile apps...
If you wanna more details we can talk througth e-mail.

Regards
Mauricio Palude...

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 12:49 PM   in response to: charles leggette in response to: charles leggette
My email adress:

engenharia at origembr dot com dot br

Best Regards...
Eitan Arbel

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 9:48 AM   in response to: charles leggette in response to: charles leggette
i moved from Delphi 6\BDE\Paradox, to Delphi XE2\IBX\interbase, and now i'm on Delphi Berlin\FireDAC\Firebird.
the reason i wrote that is because i think you should consider not using interbase but work with Firebird.

here is why :
* firebird was(and still is) created by ex-interbase people, and it's a free open-source project.
* Firebird is actually VERY similar to interbase - that is why DB-admin software like Maestro and IBExpert work with both FB and IB
* as far as i know, not only that you need to buy interbase if you want the full potential of it, but it's also not royalty-free...
* from my experience - FireDAC and Firebird, is a much faster combination then IBX and interbase.
* interbase lack some very important and basic functionalities like, RETURNING, and Boolean fields, and that is why i moved to FB (but i don't know if today IB has these things or still don't)

here is a very simple procedure i use to read some basic info :

procedure TfrmMain.LoadBasicInfo;
begin
  With UserSession.fqTemp Do Begin
    If Active Then Close;
    SQL.Text:='SELECT EID, "EName", "EAddress", "ECity" FROM "Esek" WHERE EID=:EID';
    ParamByName('EID').AsLargeInt:=UserSession.EID;

Open;

IWLabel9.Caption:=FieldByName('EName').AsString;
    IWLabel10.Caption:=FieldByName('EAddress').AsString+', '+FieldByName('ECity').AsString;

Close;
  End;
End;

as you can see, i prefer to set-open-use-close my DB instead of keeping it always opened and use DB-components

and here is a very simple example of INSERT :

Function TfrmPhonebook.SaveIt : Boolean;
begin
  Result:=False;

With UserSession.fqPhoneBook Do Begin
    Try
      If Active Then Close;
      If NOT Transaction.Active Then Transaction.StartTransaction;

SQL.Text:='INSERT INTO "PhoneBook" (EID, "BelongToUID", "Name", "Address", "City", "ContactMan", "Phone", "Cell", "Fax", "Email")'+
                                                 ' VALUES (:EID, :BelongToUID, :Name, :Address, :City, :ContactMan, :Phone, :Cell, :Fax, :Email)';

ParamByName('EID').AsLargeInt:=UserSession.EID;
      ParamByName('BelongToUID').AsLargeInt:=UserSession.UID;
      ParamByName('Name').AsString:=IWEdit10.Text;
      ParamByName('Address').AsString:=IWEdit11.Text;
      ParamByName('City').AsString:=IWCGJQAutoComplete1.Text;
      ParamByName('ContactMan').AsString:=IWEdit13.Text;
      ParamByName('Phone').AsString:=IWEdit14.Text;
      ParamByName('Cell').AsString:=IWEdit15.Text;
      ParamByName('Fax').AsString:=IWEdit16.Text;
      ParamByName('Email').AsString:=IWEdit17.Text;

ExecSQL;
      Transaction.Commit;
    Finally
      Close;
      Result:=True;
    End;//Try
  End;//With UserSession
end;
Mauricio Palude...

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 5:27 AM   in response to: Eitan Arbel in response to: Eitan Arbel
Sorry, I believe that you didn't understande me, I'm using Firebird with Firedac...

I tried to talk about my expirience when I changed to firebird, I started using Paradox -
Dbase so I migreted to Advantage Database Server and now I'm using Firebird...
Eitan Arbel

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 7:54 AM   in response to: Mauricio Palude... in response to: Mauricio Palude...
oh ok sorry...
but in any case, i believe that Firebird is better then interbase.
charles leggette

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 8:05 AM   in response to: Eitan Arbel in response to: Eitan Arbel
We're using Ads 10.10...there are Delphi components that come with it but don't seem to want to install on Tokyo 10.2....how are you accessing the Ads ? Through design time drop-on components like TAdsConnection or are you using the static lib that comes with the Ads API?

Eitan Arbel wrote:
oh ok sorry...
but in any case, i believe that Firebird is better then interbase.
Eitan Arbel

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 9:03 AM   in response to: charles leggette in response to: charles leggette
charles leggette wrote:
We're using Ads 10.10...there are Delphi components that come with it but don't seem to want to install on Tokyo 10.2....how are you accessing the Ads ? Through design time drop-on components like TAdsConnection or are you using the static lib that
comes with the Ads API?

sorry, i don't use Ads and Tokyo, i use FireDAC (for Firebird), and Delphi Berlin
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02