Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: IBToGo - Still shows not licensed - PLEASE HELP

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Jun 17, 2017 8:33 AM Last Post By: John MacDonald
John MacDonald

IBToGo - Still shows not licensed - PLEASE HELP  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 4, 2016 6:51 AM
OK, so after spending days trying to get my deployment to work I decided to purchase a IBToGo license.

It doesn't work either.... I still get " INTERBASE " is not licensed.

I'm now using the new version if ibtogo.dll and I have replaced the XE3 win32_togo with the new XE7 win32_min.
I used the license manager to register the product. I renamed the slip file to reg_ibtogo.txt
I had to include is manually in the files and put it in the license directory.

It works on the development machine, but, as soon as I use the deployment manager to send the install to a local laptop I get the same thing.

I have been pulling my hair out.
There must be an easier way to make a great product and allow others to safely use it without creating this kind of frustration.
I can not begin to let you know how much time has been spent on this....

I'm using C++ Builder XE6, (Interbase XE3 is built in), now I've purchased Interbase XE7 ToGo as well.

--
JMAC out

John MacDonald

Re: IBToGo - Still shows not licensed - PLEASE HELP  
  Posted: Dec 4, 2016 11:31 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
I have moved the license manager to the installation machine and I ran the registration.

Still nothing....

When I check interbase.log it tells me that:

Product is not registered. Please register and restart.

John MacDonald wrote:
OK, so after spending days trying to get my deployment to work I decided to purchase a IBToGo license.

I'm now using the new version if ibtogo.dll and I have replaced the XE3 win32_togo with the new XE7 win32_min.
I used the license manager to register the product. I renamed the slip file to reg_ibtogo.txt

It works on the development machine, but, as soon as I use the deployment manager to send the install to a local laptop I get the same thing.

There must be an easier way to make a great product and allow others to safely use it without creating this kind of frustration.

I'm using C++ Builder XE6, (Interbase XE3 is built in), now I've purchased Interbase XE7 ToGo as well.

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
quinn wildman

Correct
  Posted: Dec 5, 2016 2:22 PM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
To Go licenses are node locked. That means that only work on the machine that they are registered on. If you want a non-node locked license you need to either become a VAR or purchase the InterBase VAR SDK.

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

John MacDonald

Posted: Dec 5, 2016 9:59 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Thanks Quinn:

I will look back in on this thread and let you and others when it works.
It looks like:

I can deploy
then install the togo on the deployed machine
register the installation
put the lic file in the license directory we should be off to the races.

Talk to you soon.

John

quinn wildman wrote:
To Go licenses are node locked. That means that only work on the machine that they are registered on. If you want a non-node locked license you need to either become a VAR or purchase the InterBase VAR SDK.

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
John MacDonald

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 4:53 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
It is working.

Since the purchased version comes with a lic manager the purchased copy can be registered on the machine where it will run. Then after installing using paserver I can manually put the licence directory in place on the target machine.

We will test the development versions next. IbToGo and then ibLite.

Thanks again Quinn.

quinn wildman wrote:

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
quinn wildman

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 11:14 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
It occurs me to note that purchasing just one copy of InterBase ToGo is an odd purchase. Why would you need to deploy to just one machine? Past experience (when I used to work for Embarcadero) shows that close to 100% of people in this camp are testing InterBase ToGo deployments. In that case, you should use InterBase ToGo Test Deployment instead. InterBase ToGo Test Deployment is included with Rad Studio. Licenses from it are not node locked, so you do not have to use license manager. This means you can also deploy to mobile - which you cannot with an individually purchased license.

John MacDonald wrote:
It is working.

Since the purchased version comes with a lic manager the purchased copy can be registered on the machine where it will run. Then after installing using paserver I can manually put the licence directory in place on the target machine.

We will test the development versions next. IbToGo and then ibLite.
John MacDonald

Posted: Dec 10, 2016 8:47 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
Hello Quinn:

Thanks for your note and direction.
To be honest, I was getting desperate and I thought I was having issues with the possibility of the "Free" product being restricted.
The actual cost of the single license was small compared with amount of time I have spent getting this to work.

In the short term it allows me to get this system tested on a single target machine.

I am still interested in having a single installation and deployment. I have begun to setup a Var agreement.

In the meantime, I have used the lic manager to get IBLite to work on the target machine.

I will come back to this part of the project and review the deployment license question again.
Likely we will have a var agreement in place and I will not have to deal with this the same way.

As of this morning, I have the target machine working exactly how I would like at this part of the migration.

Thanks again

John

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
Rik Van Hauwe

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 1:37 PM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
Hello John,

Me too I purchased a single IBTogo licence in order to do maintenance of an IB database on a separate machine (without rad studio nor IBServer on it) -
I know maintenance can be done on the development machine, but we want to it separately.
This DOES work on a separate machine using IBLite (copying the reg_iblite.txt etc) but this is a very restricted and unconfortable use (eg due to small DB size and only 1 transaction).

All our software is based on IBLite distributions so we don't need IBTogo for distribution. (works ok)
So I thought bying ONE IBTogo license was the sollution ....but I can't get things working!
We tried paserver - licenceManager-copying reg_ibtogo.txt etc but no luck.

At the end we want to use IBExpert for maintenance (no luck with IBTogo - but works with IBLite) , but even when I could get it working with IBConsole would be a big step forward.
I find the documentation very unclear about this licensing procedure. (maybe my fault)

Can you give the precise steps you took to get this going?
Thanks!

Rik

John MacDonald wrote:
Hello Quinn:

Thanks for your note and direction.
To be honest, I was getting desperate and I thought I was having issues with the possibility of the "Free" product being restricted.
The actual cost of the single license was small compared with amount of time I have spent getting this to work.

In the short term it allows me to get this system tested on a single target machine.

I am still interested in having a single installation and deployment. I have begun to setup a Var agreement.

In the meantime, I have used the lic manager to get IBLite to work on the target machine.

I will come back to this part of the project and review the deployment license question again.
Likely we will have a var agreement in place and I will not have to deal with this the same way.

As of this morning, I have the target machine working exactly how I would like at this part of the migration.

Thanks again

John

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
John MacDonald

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 8:33 AM   in response to: John MacDonald in response to: John MacDonald
Hello Rik:

Sorry it took so long for me to look at this.

Basically, I am installing the license manager on my machine and then using the appropriate lic txt file to settle the license issue.

The directories have to be setup properly. " the magic happens "

Good luck.

If you need more I will have to do some of my own review.
I've had this running for some time now. It's been a while.

John

John MacDonald wrote:

--
JMAC out

--
JMAC out
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02