Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Encryption is too expensive!

Permlink Replies: 15 - Last Post: Apr 17, 2017 6:56 AM Last Post By: Elevate Software
Matthew Jones

Encryption is too expensive!
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 6, 2017 9:13 AM
Some time ago I bought an encryption library. It is great, though perhaps complex through its flexibility. Anyway, I made the routines I wanted, and it's been fine. But now I need to update to the latest Delphi, and I am a few versions behind. To get the same capability as before, for no extra use, I have to pay hundreds of dollars. I have had a look at the options around, and they are all in this range.

My use of encryption is quite low level. I literally ended up with three functions:

procedure MakeKey(var szKey : AnsiString);
function EncodeString(szString : AnsiString; var szCoded : AnsiString; var szKey : AnsiString): boolean;
function DecodeString(var szString : AnsiString; szCoded : AnsiString; var szKey : AnsiString): boolean;

That's all it ends up being. I use one standard encryption method, and haven't done anything fancy in a long time. I did once use public key encryption, but now only symmetric. I do also use SHA hashes, and MIME encoding, but they are available easily.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there that there is a market for a darned simple library that does one basic thing like the above, perhaps some simple option, up to you, at a nice cheap cost. Whether that market is worth satisfying is up to someone else to consider...

Thanks, Matthew
Alex Sv

Re: Encryption is too expensive!
  Posted: Apr 6, 2017 10:01 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
Take a look at SynaCrypt unit from Synopse (Mormot) library.

Matthew Jones wrote:
Some time ago I bought an encryption library. It is great, though perhaps complex through its flexibility. Anyway, I made the routines I wanted, and it's been fine. But now I need to update to the latest Delphi, and I am a few versions behind. To get the same capability as before, for no extra use, I have to pay hundreds of dollars. I have had a look at the options around, and they are all in this range.

My use of encryption is quite low level. I literally ended up with three functions:

function EncodeString(szString : AnsiString; var szCoded : AnsiString; var szKey : AnsiString): boolean;
function DecodeString(var szString : AnsiString; szCoded : AnsiString; var szKey : AnsiString): boolean;

That's all it ends up being. I use one standard encryption method, and haven't done anything fancy in a long time. I did once use public key encryption, but now only symmetric. I do also use SHA hashes, and MIME encoding, but they are available easily.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there that there is a market for a darned simple library that does one basic thing like the above, perhaps some simple option, up to you, at a nice cheap cost. Whether that market is worth satisfying is up to someone else to consider...

Thanks, Matthew
Matthew Jones

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 1:09 AM   in response to: Alex Sv in response to: Alex Sv
Alex Sv wrote:

Could you point me at the best page for reading about it please? I'm not sure what I have found is the right place. Thanks.
Arnaud Bouchez

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 8:44 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
Matthew Jones wrote:

Could you point me at the best page for reading about it please? I'm not sure what I have found is the right place. Thanks.

SynCrypto unit is at https://github.com/synopse/mORMot/blob/master/SynCrypto.pas

It works on Delphi 5 and up (including latest Tokyo), under Win32 and Win64, and FPC trunk under Win32, Win64, Linux x86/x64/ARM/AArch64, Darwin, BSD...
Since it is OpenSource and widely used and tested, you can be ensure that it is cheap (free), and maintained in the future.

And with an Intel/AMD CPU, it beats all other Delphi libraries I know in terms of performance, since it uses AES-NI hardware instruction.
Robert Evans

Posted: Apr 6, 2017 10:24 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
In article <915106 at forums dot embarcadero dot com>, Matthew Jones
<matthew@mattNOSP-AMhew-jones.com> wrote
Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there that there is a market for
a darned simple library that does one basic thing like the above,
perhaps some simple option, up to you, at a nice cheap cost.

TMS Cryptography Pack is fairly inexpensive (and does several things):
http://tmssoftware.com/site/tmscrypto.asp

Or the open-source Synopse SynCrypto library might suit your purpose:
https://synopse.info/files/html/api-1.18/SynCrypto.html#

--
Bob Evans
Matthew Jones

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 1:15 AM   in response to: Robert Evans in response to: Robert Evans
Robert Evans wrote:

That looks almost perfect! And the blog post has a TEncryptedINIFile that does a lot of the core need too. I think we have a winner, thank you.
Bradley MacDonald

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 8:23 PM   in response to: Robert Evans in response to: Robert Evans

Have to agree with Bob - the TMS Crypto package is reasonably priced - and very good.
They also have very good support!!
Highly recommend it!!

Bradley MacDonald
Rael Bauer

Posted: Apr 6, 2017 5:19 PM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
StreamSec 2.3 is 99 EUR.
www.streamsec.com

MadExcept includes some simple functions as you describe in their MadCrypt unit.

-Rael
Matthew Jones

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 1:19 AM   in response to: Rael Bauer in response to: Rael Bauer
Rael Bauer wrote:

StreamSec 2.3 is 99 EUR.
www.streamsec.com

That's for an "old" version. The current is $599.

MadExcept includes some simple functions as you describe in their MadCrypt unit.

I looked at that briefly, but for some reason didn't think it fits. On a better look, it would do exactly what I need. Hmm, have to think if this is something I can use in projects with clients.
Rael Bauer

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 5:33 PM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
Matthew Jones wrote:
Rael Bauer wrote:

StreamSec 2.3 is 99 EUR.
www.streamsec.com

That's for an "old" version. The current is $599.

True, although:

"StreamSec Tools 2.x is still actively maintained and updated, due to it's widespread use as a SSL/TLS solution for e.g. RealThinClient SDK, NexusDB, kbmMW, Indy and Ararat Synapse."
Henrick Hellström

Posted: Apr 16, 2017 6:26 PM   in response to: Rael Bauer in response to: Rael Bauer
Rael Bauer wrote:
StreamSec 2.3 is 99 EUR.
www.streamsec.com

Given the specs (SHA hashes, MIME etc), StreamSec PKC Tools 4.0, also EUR99, might be a closer match.

Edited by: Henrick Hellström on Apr 16, 2017 6:26 PM
Bernd Maierhofer

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 3:31 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
Matthew Jones wrote:

Some time ago I bought an encryption library. It is great, though
perhaps complex through its flexibility. Anyway, I made the routines
I wanted, and it's been fine. But now I need to update to the latest
Delphi, and I am a few versions behind. To get the same capability as
before, for no extra use, I have to pay hundreds of dollars. I have
had a look at the options around, and they are all in this range.

My use of encryption is quite low level. I literally ended up with
three functions:

function EncodeString(szString : AnsiString; var szCoded :
AnsiString; var szKey : AnsiString): boolean; function
DecodeString(var szString : AnsiString; szCoded : AnsiString; var
szKey : AnsiString): boolean;

That's all it ends up being. I use one standard encryption method,
and haven't done anything fancy in a long time. I did once use public
key encryption, but now only symmetric. I do also use SHA hashes, and
MIME encoding, but they are available easily.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there that there is a market
for a darned simple library that does one basic thing like the above,
perhaps some simple option, up to you, at a nice cheap cost. Whether
that market is worth satisfying is up to someone else to consider...

Thanks, Matthew

Maybe Lockbox (forner TurboPower) wich now is open source is of help:
https://github.com/TurboPack/LockBox3

hth Bernd
--
Matthew Jones

Posted: Apr 7, 2017 4:56 AM   in response to: Bernd Maierhofer in response to: Bernd Maierhofer
Bernd Maierhofer wrote:

Maybe Lockbox (forner TurboPower) wich now is open source is of help:
https://github.com/TurboPack/LockBox3

I looked at that, but the comments around it were not encouraging. I need certainty for the future - pay some money, know it is going to work a long time.
Roy Lambert

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 2:18 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
Matthew

I don't know if it does what you will need but I asked Tim about the encryption built into ElevateDB and I'm using that.

Roy Lambert

Matthew Jones

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 1:05 AM   in response to: Roy Lambert in response to: Roy Lambert
Roy Lambert wrote:

I don't know if it does what you will need but I asked Tim about the encryption built into ElevateDB and I'm using that.

Hmm, I should have thought about that, but it is harder to use when I have to be able to "sell" it to clients too - they have to buy it if they want to compile.
Elevate Software

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 6:56 AM   in response to: Matthew Jones in response to: Matthew Jones
<< Hmm, I should have thought about that, but it is harder to use when I have to be able to "sell" it to clients too - they have to buy it if they want to compile. >>

No, you already bought it. :-) Distribution is always royalty-free for any Elevate Software code that you purchase a license for. The only stipulation is that you pay a little extra to get the full source vs. just the .dcus, so you may not have the interface sections that you need to use the internal engine source code (we always provide the source to the high-level VCL components).

Tim Young
Elevate Software, Inc.
www.elevatesoft.com
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02