Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Mysterious __astcache folder in RAD Studio 10.2

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Last Post: Jun 20, 2017 3:40 AM Last Post By: Robin Pellatt
Clayton Arends

Mysterious __astcache folder in RAD Studio 10.2  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 24, 2017 6:34 AM
I recently installed RAD Studio 10.2. For my C++Builder projects the IDE is creating a new folder beneath my project folder named "__astcache". Inferring from the name this must be some kind of caching used by the IDE. It appears that a pair of files (.astcache/.astinfo) is created for each project in my project group. The .astcache file contains binary data. The .astinfo file appears to contain a deep list of header files that the project uses.

I have a few questions if anyone happens to know the answers.

1. What are these cache files used for?
2. What performance are they supposed to improve?
3. Can they be configured or disabled?

Question #3 is more than likely the most important for me. These files are 50mb+ and opening a project group in RS10.2 can sometimes take over 4 seconds longer per project (when the cache is being created) than opening the same project group in RS10.1 or earlier. I have some project groups with 20 C++Builder projects. After the cache is created opening the project group is a lot faster but still not as fast as pre-10.2. I don't spend my whole day opening project groups but it can throw me off my game if I have to switch back and forth between a couple of project groups.
Arkady Semylio

Re: Mysterious __astcache folder in RAD Studio 10.2  
  Posted: Mar 26, 2017 4:14 AM   in response to: Clayton Arends in response to: Clayton Arends
1. What are these cache files used for?
ast looks as an acronym recalling an Abstract Syntax Tree.

2. What performance are they supposed to improve?
Maybe mainly boost the performace for the code IDE's analisys.
Robin Pellatt

Re: Mysterious __astcache folder in RAD Studio 10.2  
  Posted: Jun 20, 2017 3:40 AM   in response to: Clayton Arends in response to: Clayton Arends
Does anybody have any more information about this? All we have so far are guesses for the first two questions and no answer to the third. It would be nice to at least be able to configure the location for those of us who prefer clean project directories. It could easily be put into a folder in %APPDATA% or somewhere if the project GUID was used in the filenames.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02