Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: How to retrieve a text file attached to an email on IOS (and Android)

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Last Post: Mar 26, 2017 7:47 AM Last Post By: Markus Humm
Marc Bonnaud

How to retrieve a text file attached to an email on IOS (and Android)  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Mar 20, 2017 2:21 AM
Hello,

I am making an app for which the user has the possibility to save a quite long list of "settings", or "programming", as a text file.

It is designed to work on a tablet as well as on a smartphone for visualization with a VR headset.

Nevertheless, it is much easier to type the settings/programming on a larger device than on a smartphone.

So I want the user to be able to type on a PC or tablet and retrieve on a smartphone.

Given that on IOS there's no way - as far as I know - of retrieving files from a non-existent "Common files" directory, I have to find another way.

I know I could retrieve the file with some Cloud interface, or even just with http or ftp, but I want users who have no such subscription to be able to use it as described above.

I thought of something I've seen on an app of my car maker, where, when you change for a new smartphone, you can send the stats attached to an email on the old smartphone, and retrieve the attached file on the new one.
(in French : https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/mypeugeot-app/id1021587274?mt=8
http://www.forum-peugeot.com/Forum/forum-peugeot/Electronique-embarquee/smeg-plus/peugeot-importer-donnees-sujet_38730_1.htm)
I did it for my own car stats on my Android phones, old and new, but it looks like it works the same on IOS.

So the way it works is that when receiving the mail on the new phone, with a ".trips" file extension, you are given the opportunity to copy it to the Peugeot app.

An idea of how I could do that ? Or a better idea to communicate this file between devices for people with no personal website ot ftp or cloud subscription ?

Thanks
Eli M

Re: How to retrieve a text file attached to an email on IOS (and Android)
Helpful
  Posted: Mar 23, 2017 6:03 PM   in response to: Marc Bonnaud in response to: Marc Bonnaud
Marc Bonnaud

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 6:12 AM   in response to: Eli M in response to: Eli M
Eli M wrote:
Use AppTethering.

http://www.malcolmgroves.com/blog/?p=1964

Thanks for the idea. I am not yet familiar with app tethering but I'll take a look. It may be quite interesting for real customers, if not "prospects".

My concern is as much about marketing as it is about technique.

From what I've understood, app tethering requires the client app/device to connect via Wifi ou bluetooth.

First, if the "large device" is a "good old desktop", bluetooth is not usually included, it is usually an option card, USB or on the inside bus.

Second, even in the case of a bluetooth-equipped laptop, each additional requirement, though not complicated, means you lose a part of the audience. Someone who downloads the free version of an app on a store wants to test quickly. Even though a bluetooth connection is not really complicated theoretically, we have all experienced difficulties to connect, with sometimes many trials necessary. On the opposite, receiving mail with attachments is configured once and for all.

So I remain eager to know how I could quickly retrieve any text file on an IPhone for those who cannot easily upload it to a cloud, web or ftp.
Markus Humm

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 7:47 AM   in response to: Marc Bonnaud in response to: Marc Bonnaud
Am 26.03.2017 um 15:12 schrieb Marc Bonnaud:
Eli M wrote:
Use AppTethering.

http://www.malcolmgroves.com/blog/?p=1964

Thanks for the idea. I am not yet familiar with app tethering but I'll take a look. It may be quite interesting for real customers, if not "prospects".

My concern is as much about marketing as it is about technique.

From what I've understood, app tethering requires the client app/device to connect via Wifi ou bluetooth.

First, if the "large device" is a "good old desktop", bluetooth is not usually included, it is usually an option card, USB or on the inside bus.

Second, even in the case of a bluetooth-equipped laptop, each additional requirement, though not complicated, means you lose a part of the audience. Someone who downloads the free version of an app on a store wants to test quickly. Even though a bluetooth connection is not really complicated theoretically, we have all experienced difficulties to connect, with sometimes many trials necessary. On the opposite, receiving mail with attachments is configured once and for all.

So I remain eager to know how I could quickly retrieve any text file on an IPhone for those who cannot easily upload it to a cloud, web or ftp.

Hello,

there's an iOS specific group on this server as well.
Your question might be suited for that group and worth being posted over
there. You might get more relevant answers over there.

Greetings

Markus
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02