Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Do 4K UHD Monitors work well with Berlin IDE and apps?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Last Post: Feb 28, 2017 7:16 AM Last Post By: Brandon Staggs
Norm Carlberg

Do 4K UHD Monitors work well with Berlin IDE and apps?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 22, 2017 3:22 PM
Windows 10 is probably also required. Is 4K supported by Berlin IDE and Delphi apps or not quite ready for prime time? Issues?

Norm
Marcin Bury

Re: Do 4K UHD Monitors work well with Berlin IDE and apps?  
  Posted: Feb 23, 2017 11:00 PM   in response to: Norm Carlberg in response to: Norm Carlberg
Norm Carlberg wrote:
Windows 10 is probably also required. Is 4K supported by Berlin IDE and Delphi apps or not quite ready for prime time? Issues?

Norm

Norm

I have been using 4K 27" Dell monitor for daily work in Delphi for about 18 months, so it means long before Berlin.
Works great so far. The only thing you have to be aware of is that all dislpayed items are four times smaller comparing to FullHD monitor :-)

Marcin
Norm Carlberg

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 3:22 AM   in response to: Marcin Bury in response to: Marcin Bury
Marcin Bury wrote:
Norm Carlberg wrote:

Norm

Norm

I have been using 4K 27" Dell monitor for daily work in Delphi for about 18 months, so it means long before Berlin.
Works great so far. The only thing you have to be aware of is that all dislpayed items are four times smaller comparing to FullHD monitor :-)

Marcin

Four times smaller seems like there is something missing in the works. Shouldn't a proper 4K app provide 4 times the data resulting in an equivalent size but higher resolution? Shouldn't Windows 10 detect if an app supports 4K and if not color 4 pixels in place of one to keep the size consistent?

Norm

Edited by: Norm Carlberg on Feb 24, 2017 6:05 AM
Marcin Bury

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 9:48 AM   in response to: Norm Carlberg in response to: Norm Carlberg

Four times smaller seems like there is something missing in the works. Shouldn't a proper 4K app provide 4 times the data resulting in an equivalent size but higher resolution? Shouldn't Windows 10 detect if an app supports 4K and if not color 4 pixels in place of one to keep the size consistent?

Norm

Edited by: Norm Carlberg on Feb 24, 2017 6:05 AM

4K monitor can show 4 Full HD screens, so everything seems to be 4 times smaller ;-)
I have Windows 10 with display set to 120%, font in Delphi editor set to 10 and everything is perfect (almost).
I would recommend to go to any store to see 4K monitor in action before buying, I did it before bying mine.

Marcin
Angus Robertson

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 11:07 AM   in response to: Marcin Bury in response to: Marcin Bury
I would recommend to go to any store to see 4K monitor in action
before buying, I did it before bying mine.

Or try something like a 27in 2560x1440 monitor which has lots of space
for the IDE, and works with all ancient versions of Delphi as well
without needing to mess with font scaling.

It also happens to the best my Nvidia card will support, although I use
a 1920x1200 as well for a 4K screen width.

Angus
Marco Rocci

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 2:11 PM   in response to: Norm Carlberg in response to: Norm Carlberg
I'm working on a 4K notebook and everything is fine... until I hook up a 27" normal secondary monitor. Then things gets a bit messed up when moving windows around from one monitor to the other. And problems are not only with the IDE, but also with my FireMonkey applications. I'm using a 250% default reduction suggested by Windows 10, but this refers only to the primary monitor and it seems that applications have a hard time understanding what Windows would want them to do when they move around the virtual dual monitor screen.

As an aside... many other applications seem to have problems in this situation.

Norm Carlberg wrote:

Norm
Norm Carlberg

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 6:19 AM   in response to: Norm Carlberg in response to: Norm Carlberg
Norm Carlberg wrote:

Norm

Quoting JohnB from another forum:
I am using an HP All in one with 27" 4K screen. The I have scaling set at 150% which means windows scales standard 96dpi applications. Delphi Berlin IDE is still a 96dpi application so it suffers the same slight blurring that other 96dpi apps do on hi res screens. Most of the Delphi VCLs seem to support HiRes quite well and the Delphi can generate apps to work in Hires relatively easily.

Fuse Configurator (a Delphi produced app) and my recent publications all support HiRes and you can see the difference when you look at them alongside the PDS IDE.
End Quote

Norm
Brandon Staggs

Helpful
  Posted: Feb 28, 2017 7:16 AM   in response to: Norm Carlberg in response to: Norm Carlberg
"Norm Carlberg" wrote on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:22:42 -0800:

Do not even try to design forms in high-DPI. The IDE is not ready for
that and your forms will end up a mess.

Applications, on the other hand, are another story. It mostly works.
Personally, I have a lot of code to make it work correctly. Expect
to do a lot of testing. Make sure you are testing your UI on a system
with a mixed-DPI monitor setup. That is where the real issues are.

Make a base form class and use it to fix problems you run into.

Older third-party components may be a source of difficulty.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC
http://www.studylamp.com
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02