Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Apr 10, 2017 10:16 AM Last Post By: Rudy Velthuis (...
Gerald Holdsworth

Posts: 76
Registered: 5/23/12
Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 21, 2017 2:11 PM
Anyone come up with this error? (obviously, the full pathname is reported, not the '*')
For me, it usually occurs when Delphi saves a file (either me pressing CTRL+S, or running the application and Delphi is set to auto-save). It doesn't happen all the time, and clicking OK and trying again usually works.
I was wondering if it was because I am using a Dropbox folder as my storage for my Delphi project. However, it certainly does strike me as a Windows issue rather than a Delphi one. Saying that, I've never had it happen before (with either BDS2006 or Berlin 10.1.2) on my previous PCs...just my new one (running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit).
Peter Below

Posts: 1,227
Registered: 12/16/99
Re: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 21, 2017 10:39 PM   in response to: Gerald Holdsworth in response to: Gerald Holdsworth
Gerald Holdsworth wrote:

Anyone come up with this error? (obviously, the full pathname is
reported, not the '*') For me, it usually occurs when Delphi saves a
file (either me pressing CTRL+S, or running the application and
Delphi is set to auto-save). It doesn't happen all the time, and
clicking OK and trying again usually works. I was wondering if it
was because I am using a Dropbox folder as my storage for my Delphi
project. However, it certainly does strike me as a Windows issue
rather than a Delphi one. Saying that, I've never had it happen
before (with either BDS2006 or Berlin 10.1.2) on my previous
PCs...just my new one (running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit).

It's probably your virus scanner working on the file at the moment.

--
Peter Below
TeamB
Lajos Juhasz

Posts: 801
Registered: 3/14/14
Re: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 21, 2017 11:13 PM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter Below wrote:

Gerald Holdsworth wrote:

Anyone come up with this error? (obviously, the full pathname is
reported, not the '*') For me, it usually occurs when Delphi saves a
file (either me pressing CTRL+S, or running the application and
Delphi is set to auto-save). It doesn't happen all the time, and
clicking OK and trying again usually works. I was wondering if it
was because I am using a Dropbox folder as my storage for my Delphi
project. However, it certainly does strike me as a Windows issue
rather than a Delphi one. Saying that, I've never had it happen
before (with either BDS2006 or Berlin 10.1.2) on my previous
PCs...just my new one (running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit).

It's probably your virus scanner working on the file at the moment.

Either a virus scanner or Dropbox.
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Apr 10, 2017 10:16 AM   in response to: Peter Below in response to: Peter Below
Peter Below wrote:

Gerald Holdsworth wrote:

Anyone come up with this error? (obviously, the full pathname is
reported, not the '*') For me, it usually occurs when Delphi saves a
file (either me pressing CTRL+S, or running the application and
Delphi is set to auto-save). It doesn't happen all the time, and
clicking OK and trying again usually works. I was wondering if it
was because I am using a Dropbox folder as my storage for my Delphi
project. However, it certainly does strike me as a Windows issue
rather than a Delphi one. Saying that, I've never had it happen
before (with either BDS2006 or Berlin 10.1.2) on my previous
PCs...just my new one (running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit).

It's probably your virus scanner working on the file at the moment.

Or, in my case, it was Dropbox.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"God, please save me from your followers!"
-- Bumper Sticker
Matthew Jones

Posts: 337
Registered: 1/25/98
Re: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 22, 2017 6:20 AM   in response to: Gerald Holdsworth in response to: Gerald Holdsworth
Gerald Holdsworth wrote:

For me, it usually occurs when Delphi saves a file (either me pressing CTRL+S, or running the application and Delphi is set to auto-save). It doesn't happen all the time, and clicking OK and trying again usually works.

Happens to me in a VM with no AV or Dropbox. Might be the Windows AV I suppose - that is enabled. Windows 10. As you say, doesn't happen often, and repeating the operation fixes it and on I go.
Gerald Holdsworth

Posts: 76
Registered: 5/23/12
Re: Unable to rename '*.$$$' to '*.pas'  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 22, 2017 7:14 AM   in response to: Gerald Holdsworth in response to: Gerald Holdsworth
Never thought of the anti-virus...but I think it is more likely to be Dropbox. It doesn't do it on my other PC, which is near identical setup (software wise) to my new one - only difference is that the other PC is hard wired to my router, where my new PC (a laptop) is usually over WiFi, which tends to be not as reliable and, hence, slower.

I did a few tests and found that if I do a save (CTRL+S), then do it again quickly afterwards, I get the error, suggesting that it hasn't finished with the first save yet. However, I also get it after having done no saves for several minutes.

It certainly is looked like it is out of Delphi's control.

Thank you all.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02