Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Changing form template at runtime?

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Last Post: Jan 24, 2017 10:48 PM Last Post By: Dan Barclay
Dan Barclay

Changing form template at runtime?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 23, 2017 1:12 PM
I'm going to do some experimenting on changing form templates at runtime. That is, I may change some fields (and therefore want layout to change). I presume it will work, provided I don't do it in async, though I haven't done it yet.

This post is to ask the question: Is it supposed to work? That is to ask, is it supported?

Why wouldn't I just go by my tests? I've discovered on some other libraries in the past that things may work but if "not supported" I can't count on them beyond the current release.

Thanks,
Dan (please say yes<g>)
Re: Changing form template at runtime?
  Posted: Jan 23, 2017 2:21 PM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Dan Barclay wrote:
I'm going to do some experimenting on changing form templates at runtime. That is, I may change some fields (and therefore want layout to change). I presume it will work, provided I don't do it in async, though I haven't done it yet.

This post is to ask the question: Is it supposed to work? That is to ask, is it supported?

Why wouldn't I just go by my tests? I've discovered on some other libraries in the past that things may work but if "not supported" I can't count on them beyond the current release.

Thanks,
Dan (please say yes<g>)

Dan,

I am doing it all the time. It has working. Many of the work in my app I do altering the template.
Dan Barclay

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 2:54 PM   in response to: Guest in response to: Guest
Luiz Oliveira wrote:
Dan Barclay wrote:

Thanks,
Dan (please say yes<g>)

Dan,

I am doing it all the time. It has working. Many of the work in my app I do altering the template.

Thanks to you and Eitan. Since my original post I've played with it and it works perfectly. Since you have been doing this a while I'll write this down as "supported". That is, if it quits working I'll be in line right behind you trying to get it fixed <g>.

If Alex has different advice he can let us know but this feature seems so very powerful I can't imagine it being changed.

Eitan, don't worry about your English. Your English is outstanding compared to any second language I might attempt! I studied Spanish more than 40 years ago in secondary school, and forgot nearly all of it within five years from not using it regularly. I missed a golden opportunity in college when my Spanish speaking roommate and I were too busy having fun for us to think about using Spanish to help my brain learn it. He and I did a good job of studying engineering and having a good time. Twenty years later I realized what an opportunity I missed! I still am sorry I did not do that <sigh>.

Dan
  Posted: Jan 24, 2017 3:53 AM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Dan Barclay wrote:
Luiz Oliveira wrote:
Dan Barclay wrote:

Thanks,
Dan (please say yes<g>)

Dan,

Thanks to you and Eitan. Since my original post I've played with it and it works perfectly. Since you have been doing this a while I'll write this down as "supported". That is, if it quits working I'll be in line right behind you trying to get it fixed <g>.

If Alex has different advice he can let us know but this feature seems so very powerful I can't imagine it being changed.

Eitan, don't worry about your English. Your English is outstanding compared to any second language I might attempt! I studied Spanish more than 40 years ago in secondary school, and forgot nearly all of it within five years from not using it regularly. I missed a golden opportunity in college when my Spanish speaking roommate and I were too busy having fun for us to think about using Spanish to help my brain learn it. He and I did a good job of studying engineering and having a good time. Twenty years later I realized what an opportunity I missed! I still am sorry I did not do that <sigh>.

Dan

In Chrome, there is an option to avoid cache while debugging(F12). I enable that option and I use ctrl-F5 to refresh the template after alter it.
Dan Barclay

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 1:06 PM   in response to: Guest in response to: Guest
Luiz Oliveira wrote:
Dan Barclay wrote:
Luiz Oliveira wrote:
Dan Barclay wrote:

Thanks,
Dan (please say yes<g>)

Dan,

Dan

In Chrome, there is an option to avoid cache while debugging(F12). I enable that option and I use ctrl-F5 to refresh the template after alter it.

I'm confused.
I thought we were talking about whether the template is cached by IW, before assembling the HTML to send to the browser (regardless of which browser). To which cache are you referring? Does it affect the template rendering, and if so how?

Dan
Eitan Arbel

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 1:30 PM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay

I'm confused.
I thought we were talking about whether the template is cached by IW, before assembling the HTML to send to the browser (regardless of which browser). To which cache are you referring? Does it affect the template rendering, and if so how?

i think he is talking about the Developers options in the browsers (so it will be easier for you to analyze what you want to achieve).
i use Firefox, and to has these options.
Eitan Arbel

Helpful
  Posted: Jan 23, 2017 2:28 PM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
sorry for my english, if i understand correctly, do you mean, if you have a template and you change it while the system is running, and the next time a form with this template will show up, it will show the newly changed template?
i didn't try it, but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work (show the form with the updated html).
i say that because the HTMLs are independent, and i don't think IW is caching them.
(funny thing, i was thinking about it 2-3 days ago :D )
  Posted: Jan 24, 2017 7:14 PM   in response to: Eitan Arbel in response to: Eitan Arbel
Eitan Arbel wrote:
sorry for my english, if i understand correctly, do you mean, if you have a template and you change it while the system is running, and the next time a form with this template will show up, it will show the newly changed template?
i didn't try it, but i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work (show the form with the updated html).
i say that because the HTMLs are independent, and i don't think IW is caching them.

Duiring the developement, I had some problems with cache.

About JS, I am sure it is cached and I had to alter the config on Chrome to not cache while debuging.
Only to be sure, as my developement is done in the local pc, when I alter a template I always hit F12(dev tools to chrome) and Ctrl-F5 to clear page cache.
Then, I can be sure that nothing is cached.
Dan Barclay

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 10:48 PM   in response to: Guest in response to: Guest
Luiz Oliveira wrote:
Eitan Arbel wrote:

Duiring the developement, I had some problems with cache.

About JS, I am sure it is cached and I had to alter the config on Chrome to not cache while debuging.
Only to be sure, as my developement is done in the local pc, when I alter a template I always hit F12(dev tools to chrome) and Ctrl-F5 to clear page cache.
Then, I can be sure that nothing is cached.

OK, thanks. Good advice.

Dan
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02