Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Notify a separate user/application of an event?

Permlink Replies: 5 - Last Post: Jan 2, 2017 10:59 AM Last Post By: Ian Branch
Ian Branch

Notify a separate user/application of an event?
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Dec 22, 2016 11:28 AM
Hi Team,
One of my Customers with a stock system has asked if I can let the storeman know in real time via some flagging/alert
mechanism when a part has been 'added' to an order so he/she can go pick it in anticipation. The storeman has an app,
separate from the 'adding' app, that allows him/her to 'issue' the part to the order and make the necessary stock
adjustments as well as flagging if it is out of stock and needs to be re-ordered.

Appreciate thoughts/suggestions as to how this could be best achieved.

Regards & TIA,
Ian

Ian Branch

Re: Notify a separate user/application of an event?
  Posted: Dec 22, 2016 11:32 AM   in response to: Ian Branch in response to: Ian Branch
Sorry, should have said..Delphi 10.1 Berlin.
Tim Winstanley

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 3:51 PM   in response to: Ian Branch in response to: Ian Branch
Ian Branch wrote:
Hi Team,
One of my Customers with a stock system has asked if I can let the storeman know in real time via some flagging/alert
mechanism when a part has been 'added' to an order so he/she can go pick it in anticipation. The storeman has an app,
separate from the 'adding' app, that allows him/her to 'issue' the part to the order and make the necessary stock
adjustments as well as flagging if it is out of stock and needs to be re-ordered.

Regards & TIA,
Ian

Sounds like a good use (potentially) for app tethering - are the two devices on the same LAN?

Tim
Ian Branch

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 4:13 PM   in response to: Tim Winstanley in response to: Tim Winstanley
Tim Winstanley wrote:

Ian Branch wrote:
Hi Team,
One of my Customers with a stock system has asked if I can let the storeman know in real time via some
flagging/alert mechanism when a part has been 'added' to an order so he/she can go pick it in anticipation. The
storeman has an app, separate from the 'adding' app, that allows him/her to 'issue' the part to the order and make
the necessary stock adjustments as well as flagging if it is out of stock and needs to be re-ordered.

Regards & TIA,
Ian

Sounds like a good use (potentially) for app tethering - are the two devices on the same LAN?

Tim

Yep. Both Win XP PCs.
Marcin Bury

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 11:07 PM   in response to: Ian Branch in response to: Ian Branch
Ian Branch wrote:
Hi Team,

Regards & TIA,
Ian

Another option worth considering is event mechanism from your database.
Then you can have unlimited (almost) number of listeners.
I use this even for list refreshing.

HTH
Marcin
Ian Branch

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 10:59 AM   in response to: Marcin Bury in response to: Marcin Bury
Hi Marcin,
Hmmm. Interesting thought. Will investigate.
Tks,
Ian
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02