Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Android App all ready; now what?

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Nov 18, 2016 9:28 PM Last Post By: steven chesser
Mark Anderson

Android App all ready; now what?  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 18, 2016 8:56 AM
Greetings

I have developed my first Android app under Delphi 10.1 Berlin (Windows 10 development platform). I have a very select target audience of clients for a particular company that I work for. Therefore, I don't think deploying the application to the Google Play store is appropriate.

Ideally, I would like to put the app to deploy on a file share so that the clients can download it to their own devices. I can't find any documentation on what to do with an app that isn't for the play store. Is there an installer package I need to use?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Anderson
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: Android App all ready; now what?  
  Posted: Nov 18, 2016 3:55 PM   in response to: Mark Anderson in response to: Mark Anderson
Mark wrote:

I have developed my first Android app under Delphi 10.1 Berlin
(Windows 10 development platform). I have a very select target
audience of clients for a particular company that I work for.
Therefore, I don't think deploying the application to the Google
Play store is appropriate.

Then you will have to sideload the app instead. There are plenty of online
articles that explain how to do that. But basically, you have to first enable
the "Unknown sources" option in the device's security settings, and then
you can either:

1. copy your compiled APK file directly to a device, and then use a local
file manager app to install the APK. Some devices have a file manager built-in,
and there are plenty in the Google Play store that you can download.

2. install the APK remotely by conecting the device to a PC and then use
the "install" command of Android's ADB tool, or any 3rd party tool that provides
sideloading features.

Is there an installer package I need to use?

No. Just the APK file that contains your app.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Dave Nottage

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 4:04 PM   in response to: Mark Anderson in response to: Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson wrote:

I have developed my first Android app under Delphi 10.1 Berlin (Windows 10 development platform). I have a very
select target audience of clients for a particular company that I work for. Therefore, I don't think deploying the
application to the Google Play store is appropriate.

Ideally, I would like to put the app to deploy on a file share so that the clients can download it to their own
devices. I can't find any documentation on what to do with an app that isn't for the play store. Is there an
installer package I need to use?

If they have access to the .APK file, they can connect their device to their PC, and transfer the file to the device.
On Windows this is usually easy, because the device will show up in explorer, and it's just a matter of copying the
file to somewhere on the device (usually the Downloads folder). On Macs, they'll need some kind of Android file
transfer program, e.g:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

If their device has a File Manager kind of application, they can browse to the Downloads folder and tap on the file. On
older versions of Android, it'll ask if they wish to install it. On newer versions, they will first have to modify the
security settings to allow installation of apps from unknown sources:

http://www.applivery.com/blog/android-unknown-sources/

There is an alternative, using Google Play developer, where you can upload the .APK as a Beta (instead of Production),
however that process is far more long-winded (makes deploying to Apple TestFlight seem like a breeze)

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Hints, tips and tricks at: http://www.delphiworlds.com/blog
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 4:37 PM   in response to: Dave Nottage in response to: Dave Nottage
Dave wrote:

If they have access to the .APK file, they can connect their
device to their PC, and transfer the file to the device.

Or download it from an online server. HOW the file gets on the device does
not matter.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
steven chesser

Posted: Nov 18, 2016 9:28 PM   in response to: Mark Anderson in response to: Mark Anderson
I've been working on a program for a few months. Will be on the store, but for testing purposes of about 20+ people been making the APK available.

I have a webserver to host the file.

Users just goto that link and can download latest the APK file versions.

They needed to enable a setting to allow the install of the APK from unknown sources.

We tend to tell our testers to just use the Opera browser to download the APK files since this seemed to have the best results on downloading the APK file properly and doing
the install process after opening the APK file.

The company I work for, we have other Android stuff and the Opera browser is what they've been telling people to use for long time now... maybe a better way, but yet to find any yet myself.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02