Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Consuming a SOAP web service from a DLL

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Oct 29, 2016 10:06 AM Last Post By: Francisco Alvar...
Francisco Alvar...

Consuming a SOAP web service from a DLL  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 26, 2016 10:01 PM
I'm considering the idea to develop a DLL to consume a web service.
This DLL will be called from both a VB .Net (ver 2010) and a Delphi Seattle applications.
I already have this web service consumed from a Delphi VCL application so this part is not an issue.
My doubts are about if a Delphi DLL can be called from a VB .net application and if this type of service could be programmed in a DLL.
Best Regards

Francisco Alvarado
Dan Barclay

Re: Consuming a SOAP web service from a DLL
Helpful
  Posted: Oct 27, 2016 2:26 PM   in response to: Francisco Alvar... in response to: Francisco Alvar...
Francisco Alvarado wrote:
I'm considering the idea to develop a DLL to consume a web service.
This DLL will be called from both a VB .Net (ver 2010) and a Delphi Seattle applications.
I already have this web service consumed from a Delphi VCL application so this part is not an issue.
My doubts are about if a Delphi DLL can be called from a VB .net application and if this type of service could be programmed in a DLL.
Best Regards

We consume web services from DLL's all the time. The DLL doesn't care. That said, our DLL's are called from VB.Classic and other Delphi VCL apps.

I'm not familiar with what is required to interface a straight DLL from .Net but the fact that it consumes a web service should not be in that equation.

Dan
Francisco Alvar...

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 2:50 PM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Hi Dan:

We consume web services from DLL's all the time. The DLL doesn't care. That said, our DLL's are called from VB.Classic and other Delphi VCL apps.
Are you setting all variables (url, user name, password, parameters, etc) inside the DLL or in the calling application?
I'm not familiar with what is required to interface a straight DLL from .Net but the fact that it consumes a web service should not be in that equation.
I'm doing some research on this topic, I think there is enough information about interfacing a generic DLL from VB net

Thank you
Francisco Alvarado
Dan Barclay

Correct
  Posted: Oct 27, 2016 3:02 PM   in response to: Francisco Alvar... in response to: Francisco Alvar...
Hi Dan:

Are you setting all variables (url, user name, password, parameters, etc) inside the DLL or in the calling application?
I'm doing some research on this topic, I think there is enough information about interfacing a generic DLL from VB net

We do it more than one way but, generally, we pass those parameters in calls to the DLL. All the rules for passing data to DLL's apply, the call doesn't know if the data is a username, password, encoded password, or anything else. Once the parameters are inside the DLL it is just data.

If you are retrieving data from the web interface to pass back to the application you will have to be careful of buffer sizes. DLL's really only receive addresses of the data buffer (e.g. start of a string). If you try to put a larger string back in that space you'll get an overrun. But, if you're using DLLs now you already know that.

Yes, there is a lot of info available for interfacing DLL's from .Net, I just haven't needed to do it so can't help there. Another option is to create an ActiveX DLL instead, which I understand is more straightforward. Again, no personal experience.

Dan
Francisco Alvar...

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 10:06 AM   in response to: Dan Barclay in response to: Dan Barclay
Dan Barclay wrote:
Hi Dan:

We do it more than one way but, generally, we pass those parameters in calls to the DLL. All the rules for passing data to DLL's apply, the call doesn't know if the data is a username, password, encoded password, or anything else. Once the parameters are inside the DLL it is just data.

If you are retrieving data from the web interface to pass back to the application you will have to be careful of buffer sizes. DLL's really only receive addresses of the data buffer (e.g. start of a string). If you try to put a larger string back in that space you'll get an overrun. But, if you're using DLLs now you already know that.

Dan

Thank you Dan!
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02