Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.


Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 11 - Last Post: Oct 10, 2016 12:01 AM Last Post By: Dave Nottage
Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 1, 2016 6:36 AM
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 2, 2016 2:49 PM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:

Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro
2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11. I want to do a inplace upgrade to
MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as
usual. Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to
go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

I didn't try yet, but the installation of Sierra should not change
anything on your Parallels install. I would shut down any Parallels VMs
first, though, so they are fully updated and stored. One they are shut
down, everything is in the VM files, and those are not changed by the
installation of Sierra.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"It's dangerous to underestimate the intelligence of a customer
who grew a business that's successful enough to require a large
and complex set of software" -- Grady Booch
Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 3, 2016 2:41 AM   in response to: Rudy Velthuis (... in response to: Rudy Velthuis (...
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:

Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro
2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11. I want to do a inplace upgrade to
MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as
usual. Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to
go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

I didn't try yet, but the installation of Sierra should not change
anything on your Parallels install. I would shut down any Parallels VMs
first, though, so they are fully updated and stored. One they are shut
down, everything is in the VM files, and those are not changed by the
installation of Sierra.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"It's dangerous to underestimate the intelligence of a customer
who grew a business that's successful enough to require a large
and complex set of software" -- Grady Booch

Thank you. I am not sure whether Seattle will work as expected in Sierra. Anyone having this setup?
Also is it good to go with Berlin Update 1 for DataSnap developmet?
Any new issues those were not in Seattle?

Best Regards,
Jey

Edited by: Natkunasingam Jeyakumar on Oct 3, 2016 2:44 AM
Rudy Velthuis (...


Posts: 7,731
Registered: 9/22/99
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle [Edit]  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 4, 2016 1:58 AM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:

Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro
2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11. I want to do a inplace
upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle
will work as usual. Anyone tried this setup, please share your
views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good
to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

I didn't try yet, but the installation of Sierra should not change
anything on your Parallels install. I would shut down any Parallels
VMs first, though, so they are fully updated and stored. One they
are shut down, everything is in the VM files, and those are not
changed by the installation of Sierra.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"It's dangerous to underestimate the intelligence of a customer
who grew a business that's successful enough to require a large
and complex set of software" -- Grady Booch

Thank you. I am not sure whether Seattle will work as expected in
Sierra. Anyone having this setup?

Delphi in Parallels should work as ever, but perhaps not the OS X (or
as they call it now: macOS) programs. I didn't try yet.

But the stuff I made (and compiled several years ago) in Objective-C
and Xcode works as ever, and I don't think this will be different for
Delphi-made projects.

--
Rudy Velthuis http://www.rvelthuis.de

"Benny Goodman plays the clarinet. I play music."
-- Artie Shaw
Berend Stubbe

Posts: 10
Registered: 10/13/01
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 4, 2016 8:03 PM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I have recently upgraded to Sierra ( iMAC) and run parallels Desktop 11. Have both Delphi Seattle and Delphi Berlin Update 1 running in the same VM. No problems so far. To be sure I made a backup of my iMAC OS (Yosemite) first and backed up the VMs as well. I do not use datasnap so can't answer that part.

Regards,
Berend
Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 5, 2016 5:17 AM   in response to: Berend Stubbe in response to: Berend Stubbe
Berend Stubbe wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I have recently upgraded to Sierra ( iMAC) and run parallels Desktop 11. Have both Delphi Seattle and Delphi Berlin Update 1 running in the same VM. No problems so far. To be sure I made a backup of my iMAC OS (Yosemite) first and backed up the VMs as well. I do not use datasnap so can't answer that part.

Regards,
Berend

Hi Berend,
Thank you for your feedback. what is the Xcode ver you have installed ? 7.3.1 or 8 or both?
I wanted to get rid of space of Xcode 7. if Xcode 8 will work with both settle and Berlin.

Regards,
Jey
Berend Stubbe

Posts: 10
Registered: 10/13/01
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 5, 2016 7:43 AM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Berend Stubbe wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I have recently upgraded to Sierra ( iMAC) and run parallels Desktop 11. Have both Delphi Seattle and Delphi Berlin Update 1 running in the same VM. No problems so far. To be sure I made a backup of my iMAC OS (Yosemite) first and backed up the VMs as well. I do not use datasnap so can't answer that part.

Regards,
Berend

Hi Berend,
Thank you for your feedback. what is the Xcode ver you have installed ? 7.3.1 or 8 or both?
I wanted to get rid of space of Xcode 7. if Xcode 8 will work with both settle and Berlin.

Regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I use version 7.2.1. I have not yet updated to version 8, because of known issues. See thread https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=229561&tstart=0. Author D. Nottage. According to Marco Cantu the issues should have been solved for Berlin update 1. But I will stick with Xcode 7 for the time being. If you decide to go with Xcode 8, make sure that you have a backup of Xcode 7 as the new downloaded version will delete the old one.

Regards,

Berend

Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 5, 2016 9:22 AM   in response to: Berend Stubbe in response to: Berend Stubbe
Berend Stubbe wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Berend Stubbe wrote:
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I have recently upgraded to Sierra ( iMAC) and run parallels Desktop 11. Have both Delphi Seattle and Delphi Berlin Update 1 running in the same VM. No problems so far. To be sure I made a backup of my iMAC OS (Yosemite) first and backed up the VMs as well. I do not use datasnap so can't answer that part.

Regards,
Berend

Hi Berend,
Thank you for your feedback. what is the Xcode ver you have installed ? 7.3.1 or 8 or both?
I wanted to get rid of space of Xcode 7. if Xcode 8 will work with both settle and Berlin.

Regards,
Jey

Hi Jey,

I use version 7.2.1. I have not yet updated to version 8, because of known issues. See thread https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=229561&tstart=0. Author D. Nottage. According to Marco Cantu the issues should have been solved for Berlin update 1. But I will stick with Xcode 7 for the time being. If you decide to go with Xcode 8, make sure that you have a backup of Xcode 7 as the new downloaded version will delete the old one.

Regards,

Berend


Hi Berend,

Thank you.I will first upgrade my MBP to Sierra and use the existing Xcode 7. Then install the Berlin with update 1 ( keep the existing Seattle update 1 for some time ). I think we need to install Xcode 8 later for iOS 10 dev.

Regards,
Jey
Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 5, 2016 11:00 PM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
Natkunasingam Jeyakumar wrote:
Hi,

My present environment is Delphi Seattle update 1 on Mac book pro 2015 El Capitan with Parallels 11.
I want to do a inplace upgrade to MacOS Sierra, but thinking that my existing Seattle will work as usual.
Anyone tried this setup, please share your views.

I am still using Seattle update 1 mainly for DataSnap.Is it good to go with Berlin without any issues with DataSnap?.

Best regards,
Jey

Just to confirm Delphi Seattle Update 1 is working as expected in macOS Sierra.

David Schwartz

Posts: 137
Registered: 8/28/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 9, 2016 9:07 PM   in response to: Natkunasingam J... in response to: Natkunasingam J...
I got tired of having to upgrade Parallels every time OS X had an update, so I switched to VMWare and am very happy I did.
Natkunasingam J...

Posts: 57
Registered: 3/5/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 9, 2016 10:35 PM   in response to: David Schwartz in response to: David Schwartz
David Schwartz wrote:
I got tired of having to upgrade Parallels every time OS X had an update, so I switched to VMWare and am very happy I did.

Hi,

I did not upgrade Parallels Desktop 12 as Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac (11.2.2) support macOS Sierra and it is working fine for me.

Regards,
Jey
Dave Nottage

Posts: 1,850
Registered: 1/7/00
Re: macOS Sierra upgrade with Delphi Seattle  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Oct 10, 2016 12:01 AM   in response to: David Schwartz in response to: David Schwartz
David Schwartz wrote:

I got tired of having to upgrade Parallels every time OS X had an update, so I switched to VMWare and am very happy I
did.

I knew there was another good reason why I switched to VirtualBox; that was it :-)

--
Dave Nottage [MVP, TeamB]
Hints, tips and tricks at: http://www.delphiworlds.com/blog
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02