Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Delphi Seattle IDE crashing

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Last Post: May 18, 2017 10:48 AM Last Post By: Quentin Correll
Antony Lewis

Delphi Seattle IDE crashing  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 28, 2015 2:58 PM
I just got Seattle, and used it OK for about half a day. Today when I open my project (in Win 7) it crashes with

"Error creating form: Access violation... in module rtl230.bpl.. read of address 0..024"

It then gives "file not found" errors when trying to build. Or when if I try to load the file is says is not found (which does exist), gives another access violation, shows the file (but not the associated form).

The same project loads and builds fine in XE3.

The "Support" section on the site seems to have no contacts for help with actually usage (as opposed to installation) problems, any idea what the problem is or how to get help?

(on another note, as far as I can see the help also gives absolutely no hints about where to find or how to use the new WinRT API interfaces that are advertised, nor does it appear in example projects)
quinn wildman

Re: Delphi Seattle IDE crashing  
  Posted: Sep 29, 2015 3:51 PM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
Try launching your product with the -r command line switch as shown
here:http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42597

Note that for support beyond installation and registration, you need
Upgrade Subscription. My brief research shows you elected to not
purchase Upgrade Subscription.

Antony Lewis wrote:

I just got Seattle, and used it OK for about half a day. Today when I open my project (in Win 7) it crashes with

"Error creating form: Access violation... in module rtl230.bpl.. read of address 0..024"

It then gives "file not found" errors when trying to build. Or when if I try to load the file is says is not found (which does exist), gives another access violation, shows the file (but not the associated form).

The "Support" section on the site seems to have no contacts for help with actually usage (as opposed to installation) problems, any idea what the problem is or how to get help?

(on another note, as far as I can see the help also gives absolutely no hints about where to find or how to use the new WinRT API interfaces that are advertised, nor does it appear in example projects)
Antony Lewis

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 3:24 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
Thanks, using -r does work (thought it's annoying to loose all settings and installed components).

(I do think support for basic functionality failures should be included with the already-expensive purchase. Would be much better to get the underlying bug fixed)
jefferson simati

Posted: Nov 3, 2015 6:47 PM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
Antony Lewis wrote:
Thanks, using -r does work (thought it's annoying to loose all settings and installed components).

(I do think support for basic functionality failures should be included with the already-expensive purchase. Would be much better to get the underlying bug fixed)

Man, I had this problem, I have suffered to find, but in my case was this , I had a main form which contained the basic settings. Other forms inherited form of this main. As I put to create all forms at startup and not indicated the main form as main, it should this memory error.

The way I arranged to work is to start the project I leave the main form as initial, then I indicate my initial form as main and compile normally as he left the project I come back form the main to main .

if not understand I post a screenshot of

ion moraru

Posted: May 18, 2017 4:35 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman

VERY poorly handled!
Robert Evans

Posted: May 18, 2017 8:44 AM   in response to: ion moraru in response to: ion moraru
In article <918984 at forums dot embarcadero dot com>, ion moraru <?@?.?.invalid>
wrote

VERY poorly handled!

You may or may not be right. But why wait until now to follow up a post
from September 2015?

--
Bob Evans
Quentin Correll

Posted: May 18, 2017 10:48 AM   in response to: Robert Evans in response to: Robert Evans
Robert,

| But why wait until now to follow up a post from September 2015?

Perhaps he was referring to HIS "handling?" ;-)

--

Q -- XanaNews 1.19.1.372 - 2017-05-18 10:47:53
John Shyer

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 8:50 AM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
Thank you however, I found it. John

Antony Lewis wrote:

Thomas Iseli

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 12:56 AM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
I had the same Problem.
The main form in my project inherrits from a base form.
The cause was the activated "Hide non-visual Components" Button.

Antony Lewis wrote:

Glenn De Tollen...

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 3:04 AM   in response to: Thomas Iseli in response to: Thomas Iseli
Thank you so much for this solution!!
+1

Thomas Iseli wrote:
I had the same Problem.

Antony Lewis wrote:

Scott Pinkham

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 1:47 PM   in response to: Glenn De Tollen... in response to: Glenn De Tollen...
I had the same problem, but in my case the solution was slightly different -- in the Options->Environment Options->Form Designer dialog, I had to check the "Show non-visual components" checkbox. After that, I could open my projects again without the IDE crashing.
-Scott

Glenn De Tollenaere wrote:
+1

Thomas Iseli wrote:
I had the same Problem.

Antony Lewis wrote:

Fernando Nadale...

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 3:31 AM   in response to: Scott Pinkham in response to: Scott Pinkham
Scott Pinkham wrote:
I had the same problem, but in my case the solution was slightly different -- in the Options->Environment Options->Form Designer dialog, I had to check the "Show non-visual components" checkbox. After that, I could open my projects again without the IDE crashing.
-Scott

+1

Thomas Iseli wrote:
I had the same Problem.

Antony Lewis wrote:

+1
Iwan Cahyadi Su...

Posted: Mar 19, 2016 6:24 AM   in response to: Fernando Nadale... in response to: Fernando Nadale...
Even though this is the worst bug ever (Hard to find, ridicolous, but easy to fix), but really thanks for the solution you found. Makes me crazy :D

Fernando Nadaletti wrote:
Scott Pinkham wrote:
-Scott

+1

Thomas Iseli wrote:
I had the same Problem.

Antony Lewis wrote:

+1
Steven Wiberg

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 6:36 AM   in response to: Scott Pinkham in response to: Scott Pinkham
Scott Pinkham wrote:
-Scott

+1

I just found this solution, as I have just started using the 'Hide Non-Visual Components' feature, thank you so much for this I would not have even thought of this being the root of the issue.

Why in the world would t hey include this "feature" in the software if it is broken this badly, it makes it unusable really since I was unable to open projects at all?
Primoz Cerar

Posted: Mar 30, 2016 1:58 AM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
I have to say thank you for this also. Would take me ages to find it myself. A coworker actually did a system restore to get this fixed as we did not find what was causing the issue.

A big thank you.
Skip Rowland

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 5:52 AM   in response to: Antony Lewis in response to: Antony Lewis
the problem (edited)
Antony Lewis wrote:
Seattle: when I open my project it crashes with

the solution (edited)
Scott Pinkham wrote:
in the Options->Environment Options->Form Designer dialog, I had to check the "Show non-visual components" checkbox. After that, I could open my projects again without the IDE crashing.

THANK YOU! for the amount of money they charge, it is ridiculous for this to happen at all :P
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02