Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Stuck on an API

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Feb 8, 2016 4:36 PM Last Post By: Dan Barclay
Daniel Fields

Stuck on an API  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 2, 2016 1:38 PM
I am trying to test the Shippo API, but I am having trouble with basic tasks. The API requires authentication with a token. The documentation says "The authentication must be set via the Authorization: ShippoToken <token> header". See https://goshippo.com/shipping-api/auth

How do I make that happen? Is it best to use REST components, or Indy components to communicate with this service?

This should be a simple task, but all of the examples are done in other languages and are of little help. I have worked with other APIs, but they had different authorization methods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Barclay

Re: Stuck on an API  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 8, 2016 4:36 PM   in response to: Daniel Fields in response to: Daniel Fields
Daniel Fields wrote:
I am trying to test the Shippo API, but I am having trouble with basic tasks. The API requires authentication with a token. The documentation says "The authentication must be set via the Authorization: ShippoToken <token> header". See https://goshippo.com/shipping-api/auth

How do I make that happen? Is it best to use REST components, or Indy components to communicate with this service?

This should be a simple task, but all of the examples are done in other languages and are of little help. I have worked with other APIs, but they had different authorization methods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just some thoughts. I've done a lot of API work and this looks "too simple" for an authorization token. Any time I've had a similar token, it was something generated on the client end with encryption tools and other authentication keys.

Maybe I misunderstand what they're doing with that token but it appears, on the surface (referring to their Basic Integration tab), to be a real authorization vs just an identifier. Is it a public key against your source address or something?

Again, just some thoughts and maybe off base. I haven't researched it or used their API. Maybe someone who has used their API will respond. A working example is worth a gigaword.

Dan
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02