Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Resource stringTable advantages on ClientSide vs Server Side

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 1 - Last Post: Jan 21, 2016 10:33 AM Last Post By: Clement Doss
Clement Doss

Resource stringTable advantages on ClientSide vs Server Side  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 20, 2016 1:37 PM
Hi,

I'm building a multi language 3tier application. I'm creating all my strings in multi-langague a .RC file.
Is there any advantage to place the ResourceFile on the client side?
The server would only have to send the StringID and the Client have to display the correct message.
No need to send the language in every request.
No "long" messages would be transmitted to the client.
But, if there's a resource update, all the client applications must be updated. Should be a problem when maturing the application.

On the other hand, keeping the string table on the server side would be "easier" to maintain, since it would send the message to client.

Anyone could shed some lights? Have you faced such dilema? What have you done?

TIA,
Clément

Clement Doss

Re: Resource stringTable advantages on ClientSide vs Server Side  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Jan 21, 2016 10:33 AM   in response to: Clement Doss in response to: Clement Doss
I guess there's no easy answer.

I built a Multi-language resource editor that spills out a .RC file.
The translation is done either by google translate ( paid service ) or by microsoft translate ( free up to a volume per month).
(As a side note, Google translates way better than Microsoft.)
This way I can easily include the resource in client or server.

For now I'll to keep traffic to a minimum, I'll compile the resource clientside. I already written a routine to update the clients whenever required. So when a resource update will be required, it will be easy to update. Thinking a little bit, it will be very rare to update only resources. I hope there will be new features that will require a clientside update anyway.
The server side will contain the least possible resource. For now only the resource used by reports will be included in the server.

Anyway,
happy coding!
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02