Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: "embarcadero debugger kernel has stopped working"

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Last Post: Jul 1, 2016 8:36 AM Last Post By: James McKenna
Mike Versteeg

"embarcadero debugger kernel has stopped working"  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Nov 23, 2015 8:13 AM
After upgrading from XE8 to XE10.1 I keep getting the error "embarcadero debugger kernel has stopped working" when the debugger has stopped for a while (i.e. to examine a variable). After closing the error the IDE hangs and a reboot is necessary. Makes it all a pretty useless exercise..

Anyone an idea how to work around this bug?

Thanks.
Mike Versteeg

Re: "embarcadero debugger kernel has stopped working"  
  Posted: Nov 24, 2015 3:25 AM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
See also QC #115928 (reported more than 2 years ago).

Mike Versteeg wrote:
After upgrading from XE8 to XE10.1 I keep getting the error "embarcadero debugger kernel has stopped working" when the debugger has stopped for a while (i.e. to examine a variable). After closing the error the IDE hangs and a reboot is necessary. Makes it all a pretty useless exercise..

Thanks.
Keith Dopson

Posted: May 27, 2016 12:19 PM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Mike Versteeg wrote:

Thanks.

I have occasionally gotten lucky with

Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Windows Firewall \ Allowed Programs

Search for anything Embarcadero and delete it.

Reboot.

Do above again.

Now try the RAD (or IDE), allow access as desired, then build/debug again, and allow Embarcadero Debug Kernel to access the network.
Keith Dopson

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 12:03 PM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Mike Versteeg wrote:

Thanks.

I read the new https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-13503 post.

FYI, I griped to my pushy 'sales lady', her response was "If you have other questions, please refer to the EULA (smirklingly)" I think, in particular, to the part about NO WARRANTY. ha ha...

Hope you get a correction soon.
James McKenna

Posted: May 31, 2016 12:14 PM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Thanks.

I had a very similar problem to this - maybe the same problem? Windows 10 with RAD Studio 10.1. The debugger would occasionally (maybe every 2-3 times) completely lock up, and force me to kill and restart it (if I was lucky). Frequently it would cause the entire computer to freeze, requiring a hard boot (hold power button until restart).

I found a solution that has worked for me thru some online searching. The problem was that by default the process starts up with affinity for all four processors on my machine. Since I have changed to a single processor affinity, I have had no problems.

To fix: open task manager -> Details tab -> right-click bds.exe -> Set Affinity. Then deselect all but one processor (any one, doesn't seem to matter which). This only lasts till process restart (or reboot).

To make the change permanent, I changed the command line in my startup link to:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "RAD Studio" /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bin\bds.exe"

Affinity is a bitmask, so 1=processor 0, 2=processor 1, 3=processors 0 & 1, 15=all processors, etc.

Hope that helps.

Edited by: James McKenna on May 31, 2016 5:51 PM
Ivan Sine

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 2:15 PM   in response to: James McKenna in response to: James McKenna

To fix: open task manager -> Details tab -> right-click bds.exe -> Set Affinity. Then deselect all but one processor (any one, doesn't seem to matter which). This only lasts till process restart (or reboot).

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "RAD Studio" /affinity 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\18.0\bin\bds.exe"

Affinity is a bitmask, so 1=processor 0, 2=processor 1, 3=processors 0 & 1, 15=all processors, etc.

Hope that helps.

This worked for me James. Thank you very much.
Mike Versteeg

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 1:14 AM   in response to: James McKenna in response to: James McKenna
Thanks James. I think slowing down RAD (it is already so slow) is not a solution, but this is another pointer for QC. I'll pass it on.

James McKenna wrote:
Mike Versteeg wrote:

Thanks.

I had a very similar problem to this - maybe the same problem? Windows 10 with RAD Studio 10.1. The debugger would occasionally (maybe every 2-3 times) completely lock up, and force me to kill and restart it (if I was lucky). Frequently it would cause the entire computer to freeze, requiring a hard boot (hold power button until restart).

I found a solution that has worked for me thru some online searching. The problem was that by default the process starts up with affinity for all four processors on my machine. Since I have changed to a single processor affinity, I have had no problems.

Hope that helps.

James McKenna

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 8:06 AM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Sadly, I agree that the IDE can be rather slow.

I'll also add that my earlier post is only "sort of" a fix - really just an improvement. The issue still occurs, but with much reduced frequency. Before it would happen every 2-3 times I ran in the debugger. Now it's maybe more like once a week.

Best of luck.
Mike Versteeg

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 8:23 AM   in response to: James McKenna in response to: James McKenna
James McKenna wrote:
Sadly, I agree that the IDE can be rather slow.

I'll also add that my earlier post is only "sort of" a fix - really just an improvement. The issue still occurs, but with much reduced frequency. Before it would happen every 2-3 times I ran in the debugger. Now it's maybe more like once a week.

Best of luck.

It's has probably the same effect as my delay trick described in QC. But you should really post these findings there as I don't think the guys working on it read this thread. Although after 3 years, working might be an overstatement.
James McKenna

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 8:36 AM   in response to: Mike Versteeg in response to: Mike Versteeg
Done.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02