Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Can't find "winapifamily.h" in Seattle 10

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Last Post: Dec 2, 2015 11:15 PM Last Post By: Andreas Muchow
John Hobbie

Can't find "winapifamily.h" in Seattle 10  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 30, 2015 7:20 PM
I just installed C++ Seattle 10, and ported a simple program. Upon build and make I get a whole series of errors all around the claim "Unable to open include file 'winapifamily.h'" This appears to occur in a windows.h file that is included by Seattle coming from the Windows SDK. I searched the include file folder and there are numerous Winapi.xxx.hpp files in the rtl subfolder, but no winapifamily.h

The errors occured both when I opened the original .cbproj file in Seattle and tried to compile and when I re-did the program from scratch, just copying the code and vcl objects (panels, buttons, slidebars, etc.)

Can anybody give me some insight as to what is happening? Is my install incomplete? (I have extremely slow Internet -- DSL @ 750 Kbs; the best the phone company can offer out here in rural East Texas. It took about 20 hours to download.)

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Hobbie

Edited by: John Hobbie on Sep 30, 2015 7:26 PM

Edited by: John Hobbie on Sep 30, 2015 7:29 PM
Remy Lebeau (Te...

Re: Can't find "winapifamily.h" in Seattle 10  
  Posted: Sep 30, 2015 7:31 PM   in response to: John Hobbie in response to: John Hobbie
John wrote:

I searched the include file folder and there are numerous
Winapi.xxx.hpp files

Those are Delphi RTL header files.

but no winapifamily.h.

winapifamily.h is a Microsoft Windows 8 SDK header file. If your installation
does not have it, then either the install is incomplete, or Embarcadero did
not deploy it with the rest of the SDK.

Is my install incomplete?

Did you use the Web installer, or did you download the ISO?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
John Hobbie

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM   in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te... in response to: Remy Lebeau (Te...
Thanks for the fast response, Remy.

I downloaded it using the web installer so I could get the upgrade from XE4. Today is the last day. I have it registered now, so perhaps the best way is to spring for the DVD version and insure a complete install.

Do you think it was just the Windows SDK that is not installed correctly? Is there an easy way to get that --SDK -- added on at this stage or must I un-install and start from scratch?

I also picked up the Mobile Add On, and have the license for it. When I tried to download it and add it on, it broke the C++ Seattle 10, and so I had to download the Seattle 10 again. Is there an easy way to determine whether I have all the required components installed?

Hobbie

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
John wrote:

I searched the include file folder and there are numerous
Winapi.xxx.hpp files

Those are Delphi RTL header files.

but no winapifamily.h.

winapifamily.h is a Microsoft Windows 8 SDK header file. If your installation
does not have it, then either the install is incomplete, or Embarcadero did
not deploy it with the rest of the SDK.

Is my install incomplete?

Did you use the Web installer, or did you download the ISO?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)

Edited by: John Hobbie on Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM
Andreas Muchow

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 12:00 AM   in response to: John Hobbie in response to: John Hobbie
John Hobbie wrote:
I downloaded it using the web installer so I could get the upgrade from XE4.

Same here, but I simply did a default installation of Seattle and do have C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0\include\windows\sdk\winapifamily.h. So, did you customize the installation? I don't think that only one file is missing, but the installer claims to succeed.

Do you think it was just the Windows SDK that is not installed correctly? Is there an easy way to get that --SDK -- added on at this stage or must I un-install and start from scratch?

I would uninstall first and then reinstall using default values, if one file is missing for any reason, others might as well. A second download shouldn't be necessary because the installer should cache all downloaded file in the profile of the user running the installation.
Andreas Muchow

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 4:15 AM   in response to: Andreas Muchow in response to: Andreas Muchow
Andreas Muchow wrote:
Same here, but I simply did a default installation of Seattle and do have C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\17.0\include\windows\sdk\winapifamily.h. So, did you customize the installation? I don't think that only one file is missing, but the installer claims to succeed.

Need to correct myself: Today I uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled Seattle and found the same issue, winapifamily.h is missing. The SDK folder contains 2.612 in a backup I have and 2.604 in my new installation. The only difference vs. the former installation is that I've chosen English as language in addition to german and unchosen the two Interbase stuff options. Such things suck...

How did you resolve your issue in the end, by reinstalling again?

I've filed a bug: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-12618
Shen Gene

Posted: Nov 16, 2015 5:40 PM   in response to: John Hobbie in response to: John Hobbie
I just installed 10 Seattle C++ Builder and I got the same problem.
Sample projects are ok. My old projects built on XE8 is ok. If I create a new project, it can't not be built as this winapifamily.h is missing. When I install my 10 Seattle, I saw a message that if I want to uninstall windwos sdk, the default is "yes". I clicked "yes", now I am stuck. Is it a way to get that windows sdk back without uninstall/re-install 10 Seattle?
Thanks!
Andreas Muchow

Posted: Nov 16, 2015 11:31 PM   in response to: Shen Gene in response to: Shen Gene
Shen Gene wrote:
Is it a way to get that windows sdk back without uninstall/re-install 10 Seattle?

Not sure what you are talking about, but you can download the Windows SDK directly from MS and configure it afterwards in XE10. But I don'T think that the problem has to do with the SDK, because winapifamily.h is a file from the installation directory of XE10 and in my cases I didn't ever install the Windows SDK seperatly, only what XE10 provided itself. So if some files are missing, I would definitely reinstall XE10 because you simply can't knwo which files are missing...
Mark Di Val

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 8:38 PM   in response to: John Hobbie in response to: John Hobbie
I had Seattle installed which did not have this problem and just now installed from the ISO that includes Update 1. I let the installer do the uninstall of the previous version (pre Update 1).

I now have the same problem that you describe - which is:

[bcc32 Error] windows.h(1): E2209 Unable to open include file 'winapifamily.h'
Full parser context
Project1.cpp(3): #include c:\ers\17.0\include\windows\vcl\vcl.h
vcl.h(10): #include c:\ers\17.0\include\windows\vcl\basepch0.h
basepch0.h(62): #include c:\ers\17.0\include\windows\rtl\System.hpp
System.hpp(18): #include c:\ers\17.0\include\windows\rtl\sysmac.h
sysmac.h(141): #include c:\ers\17.0\include\windows\sdk\windows.h

Adding "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\shared" (where 'winapifamily.h' can be found) to the System Include path makes no difference.

Initially, like you, I tried to recompile a small test project and found this problem. I then tried File | New | C++Builder VCL Forms Application hit run and then struck the same issue.

Will try uninstalling all and then reinstall to see if this makes any difference.
Sean Hoffman

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 8:44 PM   in response to: Mark Di Val in response to: Mark Di Val
I had the same problem when I installed update 1. I ended up copying the file from my backup development machine (which did not yet have Update 1 installed).
Mark Di Val

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 10:07 PM   in response to: Mark Di Val in response to: Mark Di Val
Mark Di Val wrote:
I had Seattle installed which did not have this problem and just now installed from the ISO that includes Update 1. I let the installer do the uninstall of the previous version (pre Update 1).

Full parser context

Adding "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\shared" (where 'winapifamily.h' can be found) to the System Include path makes no difference.

Initially, like you, I tried to recompile a small test project and found this problem. I then tried File | New | C++Builder VCL Forms Application hit run and then struck the same issue.

Will try uninstalling all and then reinstall to see if this makes any difference.

OK - Problem solved.
Uninstalled XE8 / XE10 Seattle / Windows Kits removing all registry settings when prompted.
Installed XE10 with Update 1 which also reinstalled the Windows Kit. This time the Windows Kit inataller asked more questions.
I also chose the default directory for XE10 i.e. in Program Files (x86) and not in C:\ERS\17.0 - not sure if this made any difference. I suspect the full reinstall of the ERS & Win SDK was the important part.
Mark Di Val

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 3:40 AM   in response to: Mark Di Val in response to: Mark Di Val
Mark Di Val wrote:
Mark Di Val wrote:

Full parser context

OK - Problem solved.
Uninstalled XE8 / XE10 Seattle / Windows Kits removing all registry settings when prompted.
Installed XE10 with Update 1 which also reinstalled the Windows Kit. This time the Windows Kit inataller asked more questions.
I also chose the default directory for XE10 i.e. in Program Files (x86) and not in C:\ERS\17.0 - not sure if this made any difference. I suspect the full reinstall of the ERS & Win SDK was the important part.

Should have read the instructions on the download page more carefully - but you know what it's like when you have a new version to install!

"Warning: If you are installing the Subscription Update 1, you need to uninstall 10 Seattle first, and then run the installer for Subscription Update 1."

The installer does do the uninstall (or at least it says it does) but this path didn't work for me. Manually uninstall XE10 Seattle before you install the new version.
Mark Di Val

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 6:07 PM   in response to: Mark Di Val in response to: Mark Di Val
Just repeated the above on a backup dev machine, however tried to use my preferred install location for RAD Studio C:\ERS\17.0 and this didn't work. Tried separately downloading the SDK and installing and that also didn't fix the problem.

Uninstalled all. Rebooted. Accepted default locations for RAD Studio and Windows 10 SDK. Success - C++ VCL Forms Application compiles successfully.

Not sure if the location of the install causes issues or if the reboot after uninstall helped.
Andreas Muchow

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 11:15 PM   in response to: Mark Di Val in response to: Mark Di Val
Mark Di Val wrote:
Not sure if the location of the install causes issues or if the reboot after uninstall helped.

I don't think it's the install location, because I didn't customize it ever, but always used the defaults and had the problem. The restart is more likely, it's easy to not do one for any reason and Windows provides mechanisms to delete files after a restart. So if you uninstall, don't restart, reinstall and restart, maybe some files from the former uninstall are deleted to late or such.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02