Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: Recommended Git version and platform

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Last Post: Jan 4, 2017 11:29 AM Last Post By: Jako Grobler
Jako Grobler

Recommended Git version and platform  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Sep 16, 2015 12:03 PM
I checked the DocWiki here but it does not make a recommendation of the Git version to use, or if we need to pick the minTTY console or not, or if it should be 32 bit (since Delphi itself is 32 bit) or not when using a 64 bit OS:

[Seattle DocWiki|http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Seattle/en/Git_Integration_in_the_IDE]

What is the recommendation?
Mark Rogers

Re: Recommended Git version and platform  
  Posted: Sep 17, 2015 11:14 AM   in response to: Jako Grobler in response to: Jako Grobler
Jako

Like you I am having problems with Git integration. I have found that I have to use the 64 bit version of Git as I am running on Windows 7 64 bit. Using the 32 bit version generate, for me, an "Unknown Error" dialog when committing to the local repository.

I have just installed Seattle and have major issues with git. Can commit locally without issue. But trying to clone or pull fails as well as the the first push. I am unable to push from within the IDE unless I use GitBash to do the first push. After that the IDE push works fine. I have tried both MinTTY and Windows Cmd.exe console options and still get the same problems.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but accept the sympathy of another person that is getting so frustrated with something other IDE's do so easily.

Mark
Jako Grobler

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 10:58 AM   in response to: Mark Rogers in response to: Mark Rogers
Thanks for the reply. I tried the latest Git version (2.5.2) from git-scm.com. Both 32 bit and 64 bit, and tried both with and without minTYY.

In Delphi 10 Seattle try to "Open from Version Control":

Select Git.
Enter the remote URL as source.
Select a new, empty folder as destination.

Result:

Cloning into '.'...
bash: /dev/tty: No such device or address
error: failed to execute prompt script (exit code 1)
fatal: could not read Username for 'https://jg....com': Invalid argument

Delphi XE 8 used to pop a dialog for user name and password, but not Delphi 10 it seems.

I then tried to fall back on Git build 1.9.5. This time Delphi 10 Seattle just pops a dialog box on screen with no caption or text, just an error icon and Ok button.

I can manually clone the registry just fine. Did that, made a source change, then tried a commit in Delphi. That works.

Next, tried a Git push from the Delphi project menu:

"Pushing from project directory C:\Dev\GitTest"
Nothing else happens. It used to say some kind of branch updated message in Delphi XE8.

Rebooted in case something got stuck. Tried again. Same. Manual push worked just fine.

So at this point is seems the only Delphi 10 Git integration that is functional is Git commit, and the commit log!

Just in case, I have double checked that the Delphi 10 Seattle set up for Git points to the correct Git executable.
Jako Grobler

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 8:22 AM   in response to: Jako Grobler in response to: Jako Grobler
I have made a ticket for the Git problems I am experiencing.

[https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-12544]
Jako Grobler

Posted: Jan 4, 2017 11:29 AM   in response to: Jako Grobler in response to: Jako Grobler
Jako Grobler wrote:
I have made a ticket for the Git problems I am experiencing.

[https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-12544]

I have found a workaround: Installing the Git Credential Manager for Windows (now included with newer versions of the Git installer) resolves the issue. At least for me when using Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services (formerly Visual Studio Online) as the Git server.

The bug seems to be due to a change in the way Git handles authentication requests and interacts with the command console.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02