Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

For forums, blogs and more please visit our
Developer Tools Community.

Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

Thread: XE3 to XE8 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory

Permlink Replies: 51 - Last Post: Apr 27, 2016 11:44 AM Last Post By: Dimitrij Kowalski
Fabrice Vend#

XE3 to XE8 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
  Posted: Feb 5, 2015 8:49 AM
Hello,

I have migrate my "big" project from Delphi XE which use:
- 424 source (*.pas)
- 415 forms
- 30 components libraries (DevExpress, Jvcl, JCL, TMSSoftware, Indy, IBDAC etc..)
- 600 000 lines of code without third party components
etc.
It's work like a charm on Delphi XE1 IDE on Windows 8 64 bits (16 Gb memory).

But on Delphi XE7 on Windows 7 64 bits (16 Gb memory) I can't code more than 10-20 minutes before to get random 'OUT of memory' or 'F2046 compilation error' or access violation or unit compilation error... These error are fixed then quit and restart IDE.
Tested with Delphi XE3 and XE6 on Windows 8 64bits with same problem.
The wrong answer it is to say "it's because third party component problem" or this Easy answer.

That is more Delphi XE3-XE7 are very very very slow to show form with a lot of components (so easy to reproduce too).

What I have done :
- Not use Generic or something that not compile on Delphi XE
- Not installed AQTime IDE
- Use 'Compile with external MSBuild' doesn't help a lot. It was just a little better.
- I have tried to disable all things like code completion it's was better but not fix the problem etc...
- DDevExtensions help a little but I style have error. Scared to see that someone not from Embarcadero can do better than them ?!

It's seems that I'am not the only one with this problem :
Report 125227 Total Votes: 92
RSP-9568 Total Votes : 88
Report RSP-9697 Total Votes: 21
Report 78465 Total Votes: 43 Closed because duplicated by report 95668 which doesn t exists !
Report 128284 Total Votes: 33
Report 127702 Total Votes: 31
Report 128612 Total Votes: 11
Report 128642 Total Votes: 5
This Forum
etc...

Total vote = 324 : How many vote does it need to have a solution from Embarcadero ?

So the big and unique question it is :
Why Embarcadero has stopped to test Delphi IDE with big project since XE2 ?
Does Embarcadero forget that the big advantage of Delphi was to handle big project ?
Why demonstrate what we can do on Google Glass with 3 components on a form. But who take care of his "real customer" with big project ?

I have paid for Delphi XE3-XE5-XE6-XE7 but I can't use it...

PS : I'am ready to help, testing tools or give an distant access, if someone of Embarcadero want to know more about this problem !

Edited by: Fabrice Vend# on Jun 5, 2015 3:32 AM
quinn wildman

Re: XE7 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory [Edit]
  Posted: Feb 5, 2015 10:12 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Have a look at http://support.embarcadero.com/article/44279. Perhaps it
will help.

Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Hello,

- 424 source (*.pas)
- 415 forms
- 30 components libraries (DevExpress, Jvcl, JCL, TMSSoftware, Indy, IBDAC etc..)
- 600 000 line of code without third party components
etc.

But on Delphi XE7 on Windows 7 64 bits (16 Gb memory) I can't code more than 10-20 minutes before to get random 'OUT of memory' or 'F2046 compilation error' or access violation or unit compilation error... These error are fixed then quit and restart IDE.
The wrong answer it is to say "it's because third party component problem" or this Easy answer.

That is more Delphi XE3-XE7 are very very very slow to show form with a lot of components (so easy to reproduce too).

What I have done :
- Use 'Compile with external MSBuild' doesn't help a lot. It was just a little better.
- I have tried to disable all things like code completion it's was better but not fix the problem etc...
- DDevExtensions help a little but I style have error. Scared to see that someone not from Embarcadero can do better than them ?!

Report 78465 Total Votes: 43 Closed because duplicated by report 95668 which doesn t exists !
This Forum
etc...

Total vote = 236 : How many vote does it need to have a solution from Embarcadero ?

Does Embarcadero forget that the big advantage of Delphi was to handle big project ?
which demonstrate what we can do on Google Glass with 3 components on a form. But who take care of his "real customer" with big project ?

PS : I'am ready to help, testing tools or give an distant access, if someone of Embarcadero want to know more about this problem !
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 1:07 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
Have a look at http://support.embarcadero.com/article/44279. Perhaps it
will help.

Thank you to help.

I love the solution :
Build your project group on the command line.
And create DFM with Notepad++ ?
So how many dollars Embarcadero refund my XE3, XE5 and XE7 IDE unusable with large project ?

Sorry but I prefer to stay on Delphi XE which work like a charm even with very big project.
I have migrated all my projects in all Delphi versions from Delphi 2 to Delphi XE (except the big mistake of Delphi 8) without any problem.
Quentin Correll

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 10:18 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice,

| That is more Delphi XE3-XE7 are very very very slow to show form with
| a lot of components (so easy to reproduce too).

Hmmm,... I don't know what you consider "a lot of compnents."

I use XE7 and have an app with a form which has 23 highly
component-populated notebook pages, containing a total of 1182
components, and don't have that issue.

That's assuming I'm evaluating "very very very slow" to the same order
of magnitude you are. I just opened XE7, with my XN instance still
open, and my app loaded completely in five (5) seconds. I don't
consider that even "slow."

I'm running Win7-64 on a 2.8 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, ASUS MB system.

--

Q

1.19.1.372 (Q's Broken Toolbar.)

Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 11:50 AM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin Correll wrote:

I use XE7 and have an app with a form which has 23 highly
component-populated notebook pages, containing a total of 1182
components, and don't have that issue.

1) The problem is in IDE when you open/close form. Of course there is no problem in running time
2) You are lucky to use components that are not slow or with small list of properties
Try any sample project with third party component with a lot of component
Or this (report not from me) :
http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=116169 =>Marked as resolved but still not fixed !
=> On same computer open Form4 is immediate on Delphi XE and take 2 to 4 seconds on Delphi XE7 !!!

It is very easy to reproduce with TclientDataSet with data loaded in memory under both VCL and Firemonkey.

3) Maybe you use patch like IDEFIX Pack. Why Embarcadero doesn't ask them how to make a "stable" IDE ?
4) Fault is because of Livebinding prove of it :
http://www.delphifeeds.com/go/s/44640
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8941092/delphi-xe2-f12-switching-between-unit-and-form-intolerably-slow

Once again because Embarcadero forget that some of them customer use big project (more than 324 votes).
But next round customer will forget to migrate to next Delphi version. Because Out of memory and slow IDE are not fixed since Delphi XE2)...

Quentin Correll

Re: XE7 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory [Edit] [Edit]
  Posted: Feb 5, 2015 1:35 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice,

Yes, I do use IDEFixPack.

--

Q

Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 5:08 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
re the slow to open form with lots of components in IDE
I have found that when that happens (XE6)
a reboot of (W8.1) fixes that
(go figure)
Michael Anatol

Re: XE7 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory
  Posted: Feb 5, 2015 12:43 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
May be I use inappropriate words, but two things can help.

1. Idefixpack. Andy is really save Emb-ass.
2. Remove .NET crap. Just remove borland.studio.delphi.dll from bin and no out of memories anymore. Yes, error message appear on ide startup and refactor menu stop working and qa metrics. But IDE magically improve it's stability.

Edited by: Michael Anatol on Feb 5, 2015 12:43 PM
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 5:10 PM   in response to: Michael Anatol in response to: Michael Anatol
Michael Anatol wrote:

1. Idefixpack. Andy is really save Emb-ass.
2. Remove .NET crap. Just remove borland.studio.delphi.dll from bin and no out of memories anymore. Yes, error message appear on ide startup and refactor menu stop working and qa metrics. But IDE magically improve it's stability.

Fabrice Vend#
try this and see if that works...will be interesting if it does as that then pin points where the memory leak (or similar) is?
Thomas Grusche

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 1:14 AM   in response to: Brian Hamilton ... in response to: Brian Hamilton ...
Michael Anatol wrote:

Fabrice Vend#
try this and see if that works...will be interesting if it does as that then pin points where the memory leak (or similar) is?

Point 2 works for us. We also did remove it. Read my answers to this thing in this thread.

[IDE XE7 unstable|https://forums.embarcadero.com/message.jspa?messageID=684516#684516] > Brian Hamilton wrote:

Thomas
wenjie zhou

Posted: Feb 5, 2015 4:08 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Hello,

- 424 source (*.pas)
- 415 forms
- 600 000 lines of code without third party components
etc.

What I have done :

RSP-9568 Total Votes : 88
This Forum
etc...

Total vote = 324 : How many vote does it need to have a solution from Embarcadero ?

which demonstrate what we can do on Google Glass with 3 components on a form. But who take care of his "real customer" with big project ?

Edited by: Fabrice Vend# on Feb 5, 2015 1:34 PM

The unit circular reference will lead error: out of memory. I think compiler should check the unit circular reference seriously.
Ralf Stocker

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 1:31 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Use Delphi 7 (without XE). Very smooth for BIG projects.
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 2:51 AM   in response to: Ralf Stocker in response to: Ralf Stocker
Ralf Stocker wrote:
Use Delphi 7 (without XE). Very smooth for BIG projects.

My project grow each year since Delphi 2 but I always migrate between Delphi version (Except idiot Delphi8).
Under Delphi XE it's work like a charm and I appreciate Unicode, the power of refactoring and code completion on it.
I have tried to migrate on Delphi XE3 and I have discovered the Out Of Memory functionality ;-)
It was worst on Delphi XE5 and worst on Delphi XE7 !
Now I'am under Delphi XE7 and I'am ready to go back to Delphi XE.
I have migrated from Delphi XE because it is complicated to update Indy linked to DataSnap and TWebrowser component with bug :(

So that my question is : What is waiting Embarcadero to fix to major problem opened since XE2/XE3 ?
Ronald Klitsche

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 3:38 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Now I'am under Delphi XE7 and I'am ready to go back to Delphi XE.

I follow the hint of Thomas Grusche renaming the following files:
- Borland.Studio.Delphi.dll
- Borland.Studio.Refactoring.dll
- refactoride210.bpl

This makes the XE7 IDE usable again.
Just the refactoring feature aren't available anymore.

Ronald
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 1:27 AM   in response to: Ronald Klitsche in response to: Ronald Klitsche
Just the refactoring feature aren't available anymore.

this is the clue as to where the problem is

Just been doing some testing here...
the out of memory is thrown when you leave the mouse cursor in one spot in a procedure for a few seconds..which activates the castella (which then shows the bookmark add/remove and code analysis and refactoring icons short cuts)...
its during that processing of castella that throws the out of memory error
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 3:19 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Hello,

I'am back to Delphi XE with exactly the same components libraries version (except Indy which is used by Datasnap) and same project.
It's work like a charm on Delphi XE with Refactoring, Code completion, CTRL + click and integrated compilation enabled (XE can't use MSBUILD).
I lost to many time trying to have Delphi XE7 stable. I can't work more then 30 minutes before to have Out of memory or memory corruption on it.

So what have done Embarcadero since Delphi XE3 ? Problem has been reported since a long time.

Delphi XE IDE is 2 or 4 times quicker than Delphi XE7 to open/close form with a lot of component.
I'am sure that one of the causes of the problem is ugly (not optimised) Livebinding. Because it's activated even if you don't use is...

So I have paid Delphi XE3, XE5 and XE7 and I can't use it with big project. Each version give more Out of memory and random crash than the previous one.

Does Embarcadero think that I will pay for a Delphi XE8 with the same problem which exist since Delphi XE3 ?
Why 2 Delphi versions each year if it take more resource each time ?
Proof that Embarcadero doesn't optimise his IDE, with IDE Fix pack it is more stable and quicker :
http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack/
Added: Fix for QC 116169: Slow opening forms in IDE that don’t use LiveBindings (XE3-XE4)
Added: Fix for QC 115248: Huge memory leak in BDS.EXE with large local variables or watches (XE-XE4)

Quentin Correll

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 4:54 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice,

Why have you posted that meassage THREE TIME?!

--

Q

Alex Belo

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 7:51 PM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin Correll wrote:

Usually this is result of bad operation of EMBT server: you press
"Send" and ... nothing happens. You press "Send" again and so on.

--
Alex
david hoke

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 6:02 AM   in response to: Alex Belo in response to: Alex Belo
"Alex Belo" <b dot a dot v at inbox dot ru> wrote in message
news:713964 at forums dot embarcadero dot com...
Quentin Correll wrote:

Usually this is result of bad operation of EMBT server: you press
"Send" and ... nothing happens. You press "Send" again and so on.

I think it is also resent to newsreaders if it is edited in the web forum...
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 2:09 AM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin Correll wrote:

Where ? Because I see it only one time !
Quentin Correll

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 4:33 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice,

| | Why have you posted that meassage THREE TIME?!
|
| Where ? Because I see it only one time !

<chuckle> It's there, three times.
1st one sent at 03:37:18,
2nd one sent at 10:38:02 and the
3rd one sent at 16:36:57. <g>

--

Q

Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 2:51 AM   in response to: Quentin Correll in response to: Quentin Correll
Quentin Correll wrote:
<chuckle> It's there, three times.
1st one sent at 03:37:18,
2nd one sent at 10:38:02 and the
3rd one sent at 16:36:57. <g>

Ok it's come from your News Reader or Embarcadero forum which post it a second time because I have corrected misspellings at these times :
https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=112452

But the Embarcadero Forum is like Delphi XE7 with big projects :
- It is very very slow
- It give random error "connexion reinitialised"="Out of memory"
Quentin Correll

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 8:14 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice,

| I have corrected misspellings at these times :

Ah. That explains it.

--

Q

Ederson Selvati

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 5:26 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Hello,

I'am back to Delphi XE with exactly the same components libraries version (except Indy which is used by Datasnap) and same project.
It's work like a charm on Delphi XE with Refactoring, Code completion, CTRL + click and integrated compilation enabled (XE can't use MSBUILD).
I lost to many time trying to have Delphi XE7 stable. I can't work more then 30 minutes before to have Out of memory or memory corruption on it.

So what have done Embarcadero since Delphi XE3 ? Problem has been reported since a long time.

Delphi XE IDE is 2 or 4 times quicker than Delphi XE7 to open/close form with a lot of component.
I'am sure that one of the causes of the problem is ugly (not optimised) Livebinding. Because it's activated even if you don't use is...

So I have paid Delphi XE3, XE5 and XE7 and I can't use it with big project. Each version give more Out of memory and random crash than the previous one.

Does Embarcadero think that I will pay for a Delphi XE8 with the same problem which exist since Delphi XE3 ?
Why 2 Delphi versions each year if it take more resource each time ?
Proof that Embarcadero doesn't optimise his IDE, with IDE Fix pack it is more stable and quicker :
http://andy.jgknet.de/blog/ide-tools/ide-fix-pack/
Added: Fix for QC 116169: Slow opening forms in IDE that don’t use LiveBindings (XE3-XE4)
Added: Fix for QC 115248: Huge memory leak in BDS.EXE with large local variables or watches (XE-XE4)

Hi for all

I have the same problem using xe7. I have a firemonkey project with 5 forms and i receive out of memory after second or third compilation, in the project i have teechart, labels, edits, restconnection e fbmemdataset. When i change the compiler to use msbuild i receive the error

"File not found: false.dpr".

I installed idefixpack but the error persist. Sometimes i receive the errors too

[DCC Fatal Error] ubscaixa.pas(53): F2084 Internal Error: GPFE06D7363-7660C42D-0

Resuming:

The XE7 IDE seems still be in development state;

Ederson Selvati
Peter Lorenz

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 12:07 AM   in response to: Ederson Selvati in response to: Ederson Selvati
hi

same problems here with XE5/XE7.

XE8 is out, does anybody tested?

regards
Peter

btw: XE8 fix list
http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/44358
seems they fixed a few "internal error"
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 2:32 PM   in response to: Peter Lorenz in response to: Peter Lorenz
Hello,

Peter Lorenz wrote:
XE8 is out, does anybody tested?

regards
Peter

Report RSP-9568 not closed (Now 113 votes !).
So it's still no fixed on Delphi XE8 !

And sure that it will be worst with Castalia integrated !

William Egge

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 7:43 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
I am just writing so the guy having this problem does not feel alone.

I have a "somewhat large" project, not near the size of yours but I get 10 second hangs as I type - its like trying to program over a RDP connection using a phone line.

Then this project is split into a web side, service, desktop, and console - all using the same base code. When I try to compile all of these I get an out of memory error on the 3rd project down.

Not good. Features are increasing but quality is making the product less usable.
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 3:31 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Yes more features and less quality at each version.

Now Report RSP-9568 = 120 votes and the problem still not fixed on Delphi XE8 !

How many vote does it need to be a priority ?
Why we have to pay for a new version that fix major bugs of previous version ?
Ederson Selvati

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 5:28 PM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Yes more features and less quality at each version.

Now Report RSP-9568 = 120 votes and the problem still not fixed on Delphi XE8 !

How many vote does it need to be a priority ?
Why we have to pay for a new version that fix major bugs of previous version ?

Good night

I'mvery disappointed with Delphi XExxxxxxxxxxx, Now when i try to compile a simple multi device application in debug mode i receive a lot of F2084 internal error, my app has 2 forms and 2 datamodules, i don't have any reference or support to solve this issues, we are lost with Delphi. I believe that i have to change to the java mobile development. I'm sad about it!

I could not even pay the tool and I have to buy another , knowing that it is problematic as well , I'll wait for version XE9 because XE8 is already out.

Ederson Selvati
quinn wildman

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 3:11 PM   in response to: Ederson Selvati in response to: Ederson Selvati
Based on your description, I don't think this is a problem we know
about. You don't have a large project, so it doesn't fit this thread as
it does not appear to be an out of memory error.

My suggestion is the first thing warranted here is a new thread where
you discuss your observations with others and see if they can reproduce
the same. My sense is they will not. In that case, discovery is required
to see what is different about your system.

Ederson Selvati wrote:
Now when i try to compile a simple multi device application in debug mode i receive a lot of F2084 internal error,
Ederson Selvati

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 3:45 PM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
Based on your description, I don't think this is a problem we know
about. You don't have a large project, so it doesn't fit this thread as
it does not appear to be an out of memory error.

My suggestion is the first thing warranted here is a new thread where
you discuss your observations with others and see if they can reproduce
the same. My sense is they will not. In that case, discovery is required
to see what is different about your system.

Ederson Selvati wrote:
Now when i try to compile a simple multi device application in debug mode i receive a lot of F2084 internal error,

Hi quinn wildman

I think that my post is in context, because if "Delphi XE7 does not work with a big project", now doesn't work with small projects too. I have a big project too that contains 500 units, if in a simple project i have serious problems already, i'm afraid to use it with a big project.

But i'm going to post another thread to deal with my issue, thanks for help.

Ederson Selvati

Edited by: Ederson Selvati on Jun 4, 2015 3:54 PM
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Jun 5, 2015 3:43 AM   in response to: Ederson Selvati in response to: Ederson Selvati
Ederson Selvati wrote:
Ederson Selvati wrote:

Hi quinn wildman

I think that my post is in context, because if "Delphi XE7 does not work with a big project", now doesn't work with small projects too. I have a big project too that contains 500 units, if in a simple project i have serious problems already, i'm afraid to use it with a big project.

But i'm going to post another thread to deal with my issue, thanks for help.

Ederson Selvati

Hello,

I have renamed this thread "XE3 to XE8 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory ".
Because the problem exists since a long time and it is worst at each new version !

The question it is why Embarcadero focused on fashionable (with poor life span) tools like Google glass or Apple watch and forget to test it's IDE on big project that was the big advantage of Delphi since 20 years ?

Regards,
Fabrice

quinn wildman

Posted: Jun 5, 2015 8:25 AM   in response to: Ederson Selvati in response to: Ederson Selvati
There have been many discussions on dealing with out memory errors in
large projects and that is what this thread is about. I don't think we
know about any general problems with simple projects and that would
separate discussion.

Ederson Selvati wrote:
I think that my post is in context, because if "Delphi XE7 does not work with a big project", now doesn't work with small projects too.
quinn wildman

Re: XE3 to XE8 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory [Edit]
  Posted: Jun 5, 2015 8:21 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
The definitive article on dealing with out of memory errors is here:
http://support.embarcadero.com/article/44279

I also refer you to the Road map here:
http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/blogs/entry/rad-studio-2015-roadmap,
and suggest you look at slide 7. There it says "Improved IDE Stability,
with a large memory model for the IDE"

Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 4:47 AM   in response to: quinn wildman in response to: quinn wildman
quinn wildman wrote:
The definitive article on dealing with out of memory errors is here:
http://support.embarcadero.com/article/44279

This article help only to gain 10 minutes between two crash. I have tested all during 1 month and the best solution was not from Embarcadero !
Sure that the unique solution is to use NotePad++ with command line compilation or an 64 bits IDE version.

I also refer you to the Road map here:
http://community.embarcadero.com/index.php/blogs/entry/rad-studio-2015-roadmap,
and suggest you look at slide 7. There it says "Improved IDE Stability,
with a large memory model for the IDE"

We ( 135 votes here) don't want to wait 10 versions before this very old and major bug fixed !
Problem exists since a very long time : My Delphi XE crash sometime because of out of memory (if I open to many Forms with a lot of component on it).
So the purpose of this Thread is "to help" embarcadero to not forget this major failure !
Only because they forget to test Delphi with big projects. We can call this a lack of quality control for an IDE at more than 3000 $, no ?

I don't really understand why we have 2 versions each year and such a major bug not fixed ?

I have bought Delphi XE3 => Not usable with big projects
I have bought Delphi XE5 => Not usable with big projects
I have bought Delphi XE7 => Not usable with big projects
Delphi XE 8 with Castalia integrated = More out of memory problem !

Edited by: Fabrice Vend# on Jun 7, 2015 5:19 AM

Rogerio Potenza

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 6:57 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
I have a similar project (big ERP project) and when I migrated to XE7, everything became very slow and "out of memory" ocurr all the time.

For sure it is not an isolate problem.
Let's wait a solution from Embarcadero.
Jack Baltus

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 3:04 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
I don't really understand why we have 2 versions each year and such a major bug not fixed ?

I have bought Delphi XE3 => Not usable with big projects
I have bought Delphi XE5 => Not usable with big projects
I have bought Delphi XE7 => Not usable with big projects
Delphi XE 8 with Castalia integrated = More out of memory problem !

Not only the 2 versions each year but also the component packs we use are very expensive. We will probably leave Embarcadero / Delphi and start using Visual Studio.... (User since Turbo Pascal V3)

It's very sad. Embarcadero should stop overloading Delphi with numerous options before it's stable enough to use.

Please provide bugfixes ASAP, don't upgrade!
Fabrice Vend#

Re: XE3 to XE8 IDE not usable for big projects : Random Out of memory
  Posted: Jun 26, 2015 7:28 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Still not fixed on XE8 update 1 but there is now 138 votes for this major bug (See RSP-9568).
Despite of this major bug Delphi Enterprise XE8 update always cost more than 1700 $ !
Ingo Nilsson

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 4:25 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
We also have big Problems with out of Memory and other exceptions after we upgradet from XE2 to XE7.
Our Delphi Project has more than 300 forms and Frames and lots of additional Units.

I get the errors after working just some minutes with the IDE.
64 Bit Version does not compile at all.

For now it helps to rename the borland.studio.delphi.dll as suggested by Thomas Grusch and Ronald Klitsche,
but this could not be the final soultion.
Refactoring is not possible anymore.

Ingo.
Fabrice Vend#

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 4:01 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Delphi 10 :
“_Double the IDE Project Power_
Behind the Scenes” this release introduces a re-architected product and build management system that effectively doubles the project size capacity resulting in higher stability and performance when dealing with large projects, particularly multi-platform projects. As a developer if you’ve experienced limitations or issues with large projects, this release is the must have upgrade."

I call this a bug fixed not a new functionality because we can't migrate our big project on Delphi since a long time proof :
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/F2046_Out_of_memory_%28Delphi%29
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9568
http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=78465
etc.

So we lost time to try migrate our big project on :
- Delphi XE3 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
- Delphi XE5 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
- Delphi XE7 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
Bug exist in Delphi XE too.
Beta testing is so expensive !

And now we have to paid Delphi 10 to have this bug "MAYBE" fixed ?

Peter Lorenz

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 4:46 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Delphi 10 :
“_Double the IDE Project Power_
Behind the Scenes” this release introduces a re-architected product and build management system that effectively doubles the project size capacity resulting in higher stability and performance when dealing with large projects, particularly multi-platform projects. As a developer if you’ve experienced limitations or issues with large projects, this release is the must have upgrade."

I call this a bug fixed not a new functionality because we can't migrate our big project on Delphi since a long time proof :
http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/XE7/en/F2046_Out_of_memory_%28Delphi%29
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9568
http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=78465
etc.

So we lost time to try migrate our big project on :
- Delphi XE3 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
- Delphi XE5 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
- Delphi XE7 enterprise : Paid more than 1500 $
Bug exist in Delphi XE too.
Beta testing is so expensive !

And now we have to paid Delphi 10 to have this bug "MAYBE" fixed ?

I hope so, but definitely not sure about.
Does anyone tested the magic "10" version?
Rogerio Potenza

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 5:25 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
It's unbelievable!!! Release a new version and force us to upgrade to fix a problem in a previous version.
I have spent a lot of money and time to migrate all my Project to XE7. What should we do? Upgrade again?
Peter Lorenz

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 6:01 AM   in response to: Rogerio Potenza in response to: Rogerio Potenza
I have spent a lot of money and time to migrate all my Project to XE7. What should we do? Upgrade again?
from which version of Delphi did you migrate to XE7?
Migration of XE2 to XE5 to XE8 is wasting time for testing, replacing deprecated calls etc., sure.
But you can't compare with migration from Delphi < 2009 to XE* !

That we have to pay for bugfixes again and again is much more annoying !!!
Rogerio Potenza

Posted: Sep 15, 2015 6:11 AM   in response to: Peter Lorenz in response to: Peter Lorenz
Peter Lorenz wrote:
from which version of Delphi did you migrate to XE7?
Migration of XE2 to XE5 to XE8 is wasting time for testing, replacing deprecated calls etc., sure.
But you can't compare with migration from Delphi < 2009 to XE* !

That we have to pay for bugfixes again and again is much more annoying !!!

I have migrated from XE4 to XE7. But before that I had upgraded other versions (XE to XE2, XE2 to XE4).
Trevor Cooper

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 7:32 AM   in response to: Peter Lorenz in response to: Peter Lorenz
I agree with these complaints. Delphi 2007 was fine, but XE2, XE5, XE7 are appallingly slow and memory intensive opening forms, doing code completion, hyperlinking to declarations, stepping with F7 and F8, opening [tools] - [options] to get at 'Notify on language exceptions' (still inexplicably buried at the bottom).

One of my projects is relatively small by the standards of some of you (I have 120 units, 100 forms, less than 100,000 lines) but this causes a stack overflow when I open it in XE7. Embarcadero technical support are still trying to track this one down, using a process report generated by MS ProcessMonitor. Haven't dared try larger projects.

The rumour here is that XE8 is no better.

Can anyone report better behaviour in 10 Seattle?
Ronald Klitsche

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 7:59 AM   in response to: Trevor Cooper in response to: Trevor Cooper

Yes, I can, up to now, no problems with the OOM.
But typing code in the IDE is slower in some units.

Ronald
Brian Hamilton ...

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 12:51 PM   in response to: Trevor Cooper in response to: Trevor Cooper

I can

out of memory problems are things of the past for large projects now :)
TAT LIM CHIN

Posted: Dec 22, 2015 9:16 PM   in response to: Brian Hamilton ... in response to: Brian Hamilton ...
Hi,

Can you compile 64 bit without 'Out of Memory'?

I compile 64 bit (more than 3M lines), always Out of Memory, but 32 bit sometime is ok something out of memory.

Thanks

Brian Hamilton Hamilton wrote:

I can

Dimitrij Kowalski

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 9:02 AM   in response to: TAT LIM CHIN in response to: TAT LIM CHIN
TAT LIM CHIN wrote:
Hi,

Can you compile 64 bit without 'Out of Memory'?

I compile 64 bit (more than 3M lines), always Out of Memory, but 32 bit sometime is ok something out of memory.

Thanks

Brian Hamilton Hamilton wrote:

I can

Honestly I don't think they fixed the bug. The've made a workaround by increasing the memory available to the IDE and thus hiding the bug. But it's there, and its waiting to rise its ugly head again ;-)
Mohammad Fateh ...

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 4:44 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Mario Werner

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 5:44 AM   in response to: Fabrice Vend# in response to: Fabrice Vend#
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Hello,

I can feel you. I came here because I'm experiencing the same problems with Delphi XE7 in a large project (with quite some IFDEF-conditions).

I'm working with Delphi since Delphi 6 and have to say that with each iteration, the IDE got more and more awful.

The IDE hangs every now and then for like 1-3 minutes, 0% CPU, just nothing happens, screen goes white (Not responding), ... And then all of a sudden it continues working like nothing has happened.

Switching from Code to Forms many times takes "ages". Refactoring takes forever (Not responding), etc.

I'm absolutely fed with Delphi and Embarcadero. Every update (which doesn't even fix serious problems) they charge alot of money and deliver a product which becomes worse and worse.

When I started our projectm I had the choice to either to it in Delphi or Visual Studio C++. I picked Delphi because "it is very fast". Now I wish I had picked VS. And thats what I do with all new projects, just create them in VS C++ and only work with Delphi if I have to.

I'm not going to buy any Delphi upgrades anymore. Embarcadero became a pretty awful company.
Dimitrij Kowalski

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 11:44 AM   in response to: Mario Werner in response to: Mario Werner
Mario Werner wrote:
Fabrice Vend# wrote:
Hello,

I can feel you. I came here because I'm experiencing the same problems with Delphi XE7 in a large project (with quite some IFDEF-conditions).

It is the same here. I've spend a one year(!) working overtime on our company product to move from D2009 to XE8. It is about 2 million lines of code, we have a lot of 3rd party components, some no longer supported.
Anyway, I've slowly converted everything just to discover at the very end that XE8 is unusable for this project. I have to restart IDE every time I try to debug something, Honestly I would be more productive using notepad.
I will make one more attempt to convert it to Delphi Seattle (awful change in naming scheme) I really hope that it will be better but due to more memory but if not, I am done.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Server Response from: ETNAJIVE02